zero compression on all 6 cylinders

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
survyor2;1461441 said:
So you guys are thinking that just having the cam gears set wrong (based on the nick in my crank pulley) in itself its not the real issue but actually that the belt slipped? I don't think the belt slipped at any point. It was at the nick were i put it, then it was at the true 0 were I put it now.

I care more about avoiding this issue next time more that what happened this time. See if I got this right: set crank to zero, install head, install cams as close to straight up as possible so I don't have to turn them, install belt. Good?

Before I just installed everything randomly knowing I can just set it all to zero later.

Thanks guys

Am I correct here? Comments? Thanks.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i think your plan sounds good.

just make sure the crank is 0 and the cams are straight up. i don't see how you would run into any problems doing it that way.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Pulled the head. I can see that for sure a #6 exhaust valve hit something. The carbon is worn off of that valve on the lower outside edge. I'm going to pour some alcohol on the top of each valve and see if it leaks through but thats just out of curiousity, all valves will be replaced.

Dennis

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
man i wish i had your kind of money =0) sucks all this happened man. i working out all the kinks in my supra and try and get it to 450rwhp. GOOD LUCK TO YOU SIR!

-t3d

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
the t3d;1462525 said:
man i wish i had your kind of money =0) sucks all this happened man. i working out all the kinks in my supra and try and get it to 450rwhp. GOOD LUCK TO YOU SIR!

-t3d

hey Ted. Yeah, its just a minor bump in the road. Should be back up soon. There isn't a problem out there that I can't fix by throughing money at it. I should be at the FL2k10 in fort lauderdale. You should come over.

Dennis

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
UPDATE and I still need help.

I removed the head, ordered new valves and brought them to the machine shop. I had the shop vacuum test the valves. They said there is NO BENT VALVES and the vacuum test was exceptionally well.

Here was my previous compression test:

1-115 2-105 3-137 4-102 5-130 6-121

w/ oil

1-125 2-115

So oil didn't help much. I assumed it helped a little because the motor was cold. I don't think its my JE rings with only 2000 miles. That and I had no problems because I installed by head. The valves are not leaking. So what about the cam lash? I am beginning to suspect this. Yes I have 0.15mm for the intake and 0.20mm for the exhaust. I measured this lash myself with the lobe 180 degrees from the top of the lifter. However, I noticed this clearance was much smaller when the lobe was pointing away from the lifter but not at 180 degees, more like 120 degrees. Maybe the cams are out of round? Maybe I should increase the lash clearance?

Dennis

Bomberillo

Banned
Nov 14, 2008
Lynwood
Good luck man. Even though I cant help you with your question, I find it very informative. Hopefully its not gonna break your wallet.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
So the valves checked out great.

They checked out the valve lash, checks out great.

They checked out the head surface, problem. The head surface was out 12 thous. This could have been my problem. I'm surprised since the head surface was done 2000 miles ago.

I'm going to do some testing on the rings tonight, then its all going back together this weekend.

Dennis

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
^well you were saying you have pulled the head a couple times already. so that alone can warp it pretty good unless you are extra careful and take the time to crack them loose in like 5 passes.

i'm not positive but i think the .012" warp is the problem. that is really extreme. and to cut that flat they're going to take like .015". you're head might reach its limit. like to see what others say.

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
black89t;1468656 said:
^well you were saying you have pulled the head a couple times already. so that alone can warp it pretty good unless you are extra careful and take the time to crack them loose in like 5 passes.

i'm not positive but i think the .012" warp is the problem. that is really extreme. and to cut that flat they're going to take like .015". you're head might reach its limit. like to see what others say.

I loosen the head in 3 passes. I usually torque to 90 ft-lb in 3-4 passes. I'm going to back off of that a bit. This shop usually checks to see if the head is in spec. They didn't say anything about that to me this time. My last head became out of spec and they let me know.