Yay, Another speeding ticket.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
Another Speeding ticket. So I guess I'll vent a bit here. I'm still in the middle of fighting my last moving violation. Going canyon running, I see a cop and I slow down, deciding it's not worth it to run. The car ahead of me has bolted, and it's gone. I know I could have beaten him down the mountain, but then what? If he even catches a glimpse of me anywhere down below, I'm done for. The he pulls his spiel, "did you know how fast you were going?" blah blah blah... I said no. He said take a guess. I figure he's already written the ticket, what the hey, FIFTY? He kind of looks startled, and says "well you were going much faster than that, you were lucky I didn't write you up for reckless driving, and have your car impounded, blah blah blah, but I only wrote you for 50." He claims it was his superb driving that caused me not to run (look me in the eye and tell me that you slowed because once you saw me, you knew you couldn't outrun me). Yeah sure, wanna dance again pig? I KNOW I can beat him down the road, but why the hell should I run? I ended up slowing down so he could catch up. Yeah, your superb driving in your 5000lb cruiser.... So now, I'm going to fight another ticket. I know I can beat him on my road, my turf, let's see if I can beat him at his, in court. You know, I always seem to hate cops who write you tickets. And it seems the ones who do write you tickets are in a sour mood. Then they pass that sour mood on to you. I know, I could have run, and I could have gotten away with it (maybe would have), but I'm a calculated risk sort of guy, and in that instant, my calculator said screw it, just let him nab you, because what if you can't get away? That little doubt made me hit the brakes. Right decision? Depends on who you ask. I shouldn't really give it much thought. Canyon running is dangerous to novices. I've witnessed many crashes over the years from people who ran out of skill. Yet so many cops out there are so egotistical, it's hard not to look at all of them with a jaundiced eye. He also only wrote me up for basic speed law (very beatable) instead of maximum speed. Yes I know I sound like I'm cocky about my ability to drive, but it's really more about you cannot ignore the laws of physics. My daily driver Neon weighs only about 2/3 of his car, has a much stiffer suspension, and sticky, grippy tires. Somebody is going to have the natural dickhead response to what seems like a dickhead post, I can see it now "well you deserved it, blah blah blah" , since there are always 2 sides to the show, one for the cop, one against him. I think he patrols there a lot, and pulls over a lot of civics. So he gets an inflated ego about his driving ability. Maybe if he was a Michigan State Trooper I'd believe him (I heard those guys can DRIVE). Meh, another day, another dollar.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Yeah... most of those 5000lbs cruisers have supercharged V8/6s in them which, in the right hands, will more than make up for the understeer.
So unless this mountain road is 99.9% sharp turns with no straightaways, I'm not buying the "I'd lose him in my stock-engined neon" idea (Unless your blown, then it's debatable).

Push

Cressida
Aug 28, 2005
Naperville, IL
i always run... till I see them right behind me... then you pull over... if your speeding why slow down?? your getting pulled over anyways... just maintain your speed of whatever... Not saying you should run... but make it harder for them to catch you if there further away... Might as well have some fun since your going to get a ticket and pay anyways ;)

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Jervis Mcstabby;902272 said:
Yeah... most of those 5000lbs cruisers have supercharged V8/6s in them which, in the right hands, will more than make up for the understeer.
So unless this mountain road is 99.9% sharp turns with no straightaways, I'm not buying the "I'd lose him in my stock-engined neon" idea (Unless your blown, then it's debatable).

WHAT THE FUCK??? Where are these supercharged cruisers at?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
my brother had this problem a few days ago, he has an STI and a need for speed so he was cruising down the highway going a modest 98 and sees the crusier do a U turn and start to follow him but he was already far ahead so he decides to exit and there was a mountain in the way and traffic so the cop couldn't see him exit. got away nice and clean.

Me, ive never even been pulled over.

when a job says you are too smart to have it then there is a problem hehe i wouldnt waste too much time worrying about cops personally

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm in the school of thought that says if you get caught, you man up, stop the car, apologize, and pay your stupid tax.

Police aren't stupid, and they have excellent memory. You'll never get away, not really. If you run, even if you get away this time, they are going to remember your vehicle. Next time they see someone in one of your vehicles being even vaguely an idiot, they'll drop the hammer hard. It's like Karma - it just builds up until they can really cream you. Would you rather have 4-5 individual speeding tickets, or get away 'clean' the first 4 times, then get arrested, jailed, body cavity searched, tested for alcohol, car impounded, car searched within an inch of it's life for any leftover drugs that might have been left there by the previous owner, and everything else they can think of?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az

Plus they have this new thing called a "radio". You make a run down a canyon road with no turn off or side road to hide off on. The cop follows the same road while his buddies wait at the end.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio

I'm still awaiting comments on this one.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
DISCLAIMER: Diatribe follows, read at your own risk:

I've heard of cop cars having all this crazy stuff under the hood etc, Liquid nitrogen injection, Propane tanks for extra burning, etc, yet when the CHP (or LA Sheriffs I forget which) and Michigan State Troopers do their annual vehicle testing, a Basic, 250hp Crown Vic is tested. Not much Factory Tuning there :evil2:. I went down Turnbull, which is a short, 2 mile section of mostly tight turns and such that dumps off into residential neighborhoods. Maybe only about 1/4 mile is straight, and that's at the bottom. I figured the same thing GrimJack did, if, in the future he see's me again and remember's, he's going to remember, "there's that stupid Neon, I'm going to catch him now!" Then I might not get off with a just a fairly easily fightable Basic Speed Law ticket. And for JustAnotherVictim, don't break the law? It's getting harder and harder NOT to break the law. Around my area, I saw speed limits drops from 35mph to 25mph in some zones. Turnbull used to be 35, now it's 30mph. 45mph dropping to 40 or 35mph. Red Light Camera's, and supposedly speed Camera's are going to pop up soon.

Yeah, that's not much of a defense, but with government trying to slow you down in the name of safety (more like revenue, or save gas), they know people are going to keep driving over the limit, because then they won't be able to make money. Remember the 55mph limit? Economy cars today can hit 100mph, a Hyundai Sonata hit 147mph, cars now have more airbags than occupants, yet the speed limits are still 65mph. (Okay, so most guys here drive older cars, but Supra's are very stout in their construction.) In fact they are lowering in many places around me. This whole bullhonkey about safety is just that. Okay, not ALL Bullhonkey, but at least 3/4. It's the money stupid, regardless of whether I was driving unsafe or not, since that will always vary with opinion, just follow the money and you'll see the real reason that ticket fines have jacked up and more are issued in times of economic downtimes. Ever ask yourself why an officer is "nice" and writes you up for a lower speed? Say you got nailed with doing 10mph over, and he claims you were doing 20mph over. You would think that the 20mph would be double the fine? But it isn't. The fines are not nearly proportional to the level of the speed of the offense. And the fines vary on the city you are in. My brother once got a ticket for 10mph here in my city, and I got a ticket for 15mph over within a 2 month period (we both took traffic school). His fine was ~$130. Mine was $140. WHAT?!? Only $10 more for going a full 5mph over! One would think I would get a fine of at least $200 since I was 1.5 times the speed over my brother. I suppose it's just to make it easier for the average citizen to roll over and fork over the money. It's ONLY 10 dollars over, why not pay? Remember, Speed Kills! I can see the other side's logic, which would fall along the lines of "we drop speed limits because of a frequent number of accidents and/or speeders." I think they know full well a 5mph drop will not discourage faster driving, but you can still hear the cha-ching from a mile away. Easier to pocket more money under this "justification". But I digress, I am probably the minority opinion on this. And that is just that, pure opinion, albeit underlined by some interesting articles I have read over the years (I read a lot of Car and Driver), along with some personal experience, but opinion, nonetheless. MY opinion, NOT SupraMania's, or anybody else's. Just making sure I cover all the bases here.

I really think I post enough essays to increase my post count, but alas, I only get one per essay...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
JustAnotherVictim;902519 said:
Stop breaking the law asshole.

bout sums it up from this end..... im all for what i call "the tax to drive any speed i want" (ie tickets) but normally after i get a ticket i have the sense to drive normally until after the probation period. you apperently dont know any better.

second, neons suck.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
FYI, you're dead on with your interpretation of speed limits. It has everything to do with revenue generation, and nothing to do with safety.

The thing to remember is that the police simply enforce the law, they don't make it. You can't cure a sickness by fighting the symptoms, you need to find the cause. In this case, it's the people making the laws - you need to either convert them to your way of thinking, replace them with like minded individuals, or replace them with, well, YOU.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
RazoE;902737 said:
cop cars are factory tuned, duh.............
Mostly. Ours have bigger brakes and better suspension. Other than that, they are your everyday run of the mill Crown Vic or Impala.
GrimJack;903017 said:
FYI, you're dead on with your interpretation of speed limits. It has everything to do with revenue generation, and nothing to do with safety.

The thing to remember is that the police simply enforce the law, they don't make it. You can't cure a sickness by fighting the symptoms, you need to find the cause. In this case, it's the people making the laws - you need to either convert them to your way of thinking, replace them with like minded individuals, or replace them with, well, YOU.

Ding Ding. Thank you sir!