Wtf? Dog box?

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
So I was watching a vid on youtube with Travis Pastrana talking about his rally car (Subaru Impreza) and he said something about a dog box. So I looked up dog box and watched a few vids on them but still really know nothing about them. I know you dont need to let of the gas when shifting or even hit the clutch for that matter. But my real question is does anyone have one, and is it good?

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
mattman;1129164 said:
So I was watching a vid on youtube with Travis Pastrana talking about his rally car (Subaru Impreza) and he said something about a dog box. So I looked up dog box and watched a few vids on them but still really know nothing about them. I know you dont need to let of the gas when shifting or even hit the clutch for that matter. But my real question is does anyone have one, and is it good?

Do some more searching and you'll find your answer. Nobody that I know of has one in a Mk3. Every dogbox I've seen runs straight cut gears (which are horrendously noisy). The expense is the big kicker, too. Search for hollinger and you'll probably find some dog boxes.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes

SRset3small.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Wouldn't mind coming across a set of straight cut gears for my r-154...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
JDMMA70;1130540 said:
Trust makes a gearbox for our cars, so do a few other japanese tuners.

Don't say. SHOW.

OS Giken USED to but they have pulled everything they used to have for the MA71/JZ71.

Most other companies have pulled thier offerings also.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
figgie;1130549 said:
Don't say. SHOW.

OS Giken USED to but they have pulled everything they used to have for the MA71/JZ71.

Let me change that to USED to make a transmission for our cars. I cant find it on their site anymore

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
on the subject of whining.. my tranny is awefully loud now.. and the higher up i go in gears it becomes more evident.. i just changed the fluid.. and nothing better.. any idea what might be happening

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
figgie;1130529 said:
Shaeff

I am sure Xtrac would be more than happy to tackle that project for a nominal fee ;)
Depending on how much of a racecar it turns into, I might look into it. Thanks for the tip!

JDMMA70;1130540 said:
Trust makes a gearbox for our cars, so do a few other japanese tuners.
Never knew that, but Trust/Greddy just went bankrupt, so I doubt they'll be making any more of that stuff. :(
figgie;1130549 said:
Don't say. SHOW.

I knew that OS Giken used to make straight cut gears for the r-154, I nearly had a set of them one ebay a year or two ago, but was outbid at the last second. :(

Wade T

7m Mk2 terror
Apr 6, 2005
Seattle
Yes, there's also the 'dog leg' transmission where reverse is where 1st gear should be. And first gear is located where 2nd gear should be. That doesn't necessarily mean it's got helical or straight cuts. It could be either. Confused yet?:)