Wrecked my 89 M/T turbo shell on the way to the paint shop yesterday (7/12/2013)

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Got me an 89 M/T Turbo about 1.5 years ago and have been restoring it a nut a at time due to lack of free time. So... I finally got the 7MGTE rebuilt and when the shell was being towed to the paint shop in Miami, the shell suffered some damage because the dummy pulling it with a "U-Haul Tow Dolly" forgot to remove the shaft (plus it has some rust that was going to be taken care of at the shop). Therefore, I am considering parting-out this shell and buy another. http://www.supramania.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif
My question is:
Can I use the 89 7MGTE/89 ECU/89 harness (Gray Plugs)/R154 with other model year body (90, 91 or 92)? Also, I have purchase a whole bunch of parts for this 89 and want to know about compatibility issues with other year models.

Thanks in advance!

Joseph

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Considering that I put a 1987 yellow plug ECU/7M-GTE/R154 in my '89 chassis, I'd say that the odds of it working with a 1990+ are slim and none.

It will work with any 1989 chassis, either 1989, or 1989.5 AFAIK, and will work with some caveats with a 1986.5-1988 chassis. The one difference that I know for certain is that on the chassis harness, the headlight idle-up pin is in a different location. My '87 ECU therefore turned the headlights on as soon as battery was connected. Everything ran, and the instruments all worked (I had changed over the NA tach for one that could deal with the turbo signal already.) If you want to keep the same ECU and harness, I believe that you're looking for a 1986.5-1989 chassis.

Sorry to hear about this. That really sucks.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Got his reply from Supraforum's member "Red90Turbo".
I have an 89 engine harness in my 90, the only difference was the connector for the gauge cluster. I had to swap that over. I'm not sure on any other year compatability for the engine harness. As far as other parts, exterior, engine, suspension, exhaust, etc. should all be the same 89-92. The only real differences I think you will find would be electrical in the interior, depending on different options in the cars. The actual shells should be the same.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Question?
My car is a stock 89 7MGTE and have all parts for it since it was running good before I decided to restore it and bring it back to its splendor. I suppose that I could use an 89 shell not matter if turbo, manual or auto. I do understand that the ideal shell would be a 5 speed since I wont have to run clutch lines and mess around with pedals and cluster (did I forget something?), but what if I come across an auto in better shape than a 5 speed shell??? How difficult is to do the conversion given that I have all needed parts from my current 89?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
From 89 to 90 you will have differences in body plugs, as there were air bag/no air bag differences. 91-92 is a whole different bag of worms. Several different connectors, and wires going to different plugs. I converted an 89 harness to fit my 92, and massive repinning came into play. It runs pretty good. There are several other problems that I feel are harness related. I'm currently ditching that harness, and installing a 91. If you find an automatic, you will probably want to get the wiring harnees with it

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
I'm sticking to an 89 shell and I just found two 89's in my area. It's just deciding which one is on better shape after a personal inspection.
I will be inspecting an 89 Auto today which was re-painted to Maroon Metallic from Red (this one is N/A, TT auto with a BHG). The other one is a white running 89 N/A 5 speed which was involved in a front fender bender. By looking at the pictures, it looks like the auto is way in better condition in/out than the 5 speed. Its just the auto issue.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Be sure to look at the motor mounts in both your car and the ones you look at. The 89's changed mid year, so there are new and old style. The new is round mounts and the old are square. I believe you need to swap subframes if you don't match up

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
ForcedTorque;1953108 said:
Be sure to look at the motor mounts in both your car and the ones you look at. The 89's changed mid year, so there are new and old style. The new is round mounts and the old are square. I believe you need to swap subframes if you don't match up

It doesn't matter. Use the motor mounts that come with the shell you use, and you'll be fine. Electronically, the '89 is the same all the way through (According to Jeff Lange, Dr Tweak says that there's a "minor change" in the wiring harness somewhere. Using an '89 shell is really the best bet for the electronics. I'm comparing electrical connectors to use a '90 harness with an '89 engine, but I'm willing to swap sensors and whatnot to use the '90 version if there are any changes. My initial work seems to indicate that I shouldn't have problems though.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Haven't got a chance to go look at the 89 shell replacement due so much rain in Miami. I want to be able to get under and make sure I am not going from bad to worse. My shell is accident/bondo free. It's just rusted and it might be wiser to find a rust free shell with a good gas tank. I've been quoted $1,800.00 to fix the rust and paint the car in/out, but I'm just skeptical about the cut and weld due to rust location (around glass). I will post pictures tomorrow and maybe someone in the forum can bring some light to my puzzle.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Dan_Gyoba;1953159 said:
It doesn't matter. Use the motor mounts that come with the shell you use, and you'll be fine. Electronically, the '89 is the same all the way through (According to Jeff Lange, Dr Tweak says that there's a "minor change" in the wiring harness somewhere. Using an '89 shell is really the best bet for the electronics. I'm comparing electrical connectors to use a '90 harness with an '89 engine, but I'm willing to swap sensors and whatnot to use the '90 version if there are any changes. My initial work seems to indicate that I shouldn't have problems though.

Engine wise 89 to 90 are the same pretty much. The colors of connectors is just a color change (if it even is a color change). The difference is in the body connectors. The 90 has an extra or different connector because of the air bag. After that, I don't remember anything else. 89 to 91/92 is a whole different ballgame

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Today I went out and got the "BHG" N/A 89 AUTO ($1,000.00). No rust but on the battery tray area. The interior is in pretty good condition except for the dash (I have a good one in stock). New Targa seals came with car (still on original packing from Toyota) and good gas tank almost full of gas (7/8). Car has a light hit on left front fender (Have spare from what's now my parts car). Engine mount on this 89 are round. I do have square mounts on my now parts car (I had already purchased a new set of "square" mounts, but the guy I bought it from, stated that the round mounts are about 1 year old).

Towing truck unloading on my driveway today
CIMG0101.JPG

"Supra meet" on my side yard.
CIMG0102.JPGCIMG0103.JPGCIMG0104.JPGCIMG0108.JPG

7MGE BHG Engine
CIMG0105.JPGCIMG0107.JPG

Round engine mount on new shell
CIMG0106.JPG

Now What???

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Dan_Gyoba;1953159 said:

Ok, so the new 89 "BHG" shell is N/A, AUTO with round mounts (about a year old according to previous owner). Now what?
P.S. Thanks to all members posting replies to this tread. Thank you!

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, you'll need to do something about the pedal assembly. Swap those from your parts car. There's lots of 5 speed swap threads around, most of those will contain information you need. I haven't done it, so I can't really say for 100%. You'll also have to deal with the ECT ECU hopefully that part isn't hard. I know that some of the starter wiring will be different, because of the auto as well. Not too difficult to rearrange, I imagine. Probably easier if you're also swapping the dash.

When you pull the engine/transmission from the new shell, take the motor mount brackets off of the block, bolt those to your good engine. The rest of the stuff all goes in as it came out of your parts shell. With the exception of the motor mounts, treat your '89NA as if it were your '89 shell back from the body shop with an interior installed. Maybe you'll want to install the 3pc spoiler. If you do, also swap over the tail lamp failure module, as the LED brake light is different than the 1156 in the NA shell. (Disconnect the center stop light from the NA. It's not hard to remove either, but then you'll also want the interior trim panel.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Dan_Gyoba;1953574 said:
Well, you'll need to do something about the pedal assembly. Swap those from your parts car. There's lots of 5 speed swap threads around, most of those will contain information you need. I haven't done it, so I can't really say for 100%. You'll also have to deal with the ECT ECU hopefully that part isn't hard. I know that some of the starter wiring will be different, because of the auto as well. Not too difficult to rearrange, I imagine. Probably easier if you're also swapping the dash.

When you pull the engine/transmission from the new shell, take the motor mount brackets off of the block, bolt those to your good engine. The rest of the stuff all goes in as it came out of your parts shell. With the exception of the motor mounts, treat your '89NA as if it were your '89 shell back from the body shop with an interior installed. Maybe you'll want to install the 3pc spoiler. If you do, also swap over the tail lamp failure module, as the LED brake light is different than the 1156 in the NA shell. (Disconnect the center stop light from the NA. It's not hard to remove either, but then you'll also want the interior trim panel.

Thanks for the heads-up. I do understand that from now on, this will be another thread (AT to MT swap + N/A to Turbo) and I will start researching down that road.
I guess my priority now is to pull engine and tranny from new shell, prepare engine bay and cross member for fresh paint and transfer all new brake and suspension gear I had already installed on rusted/wrecked shell. Any suggestions as to what to do with BGH GE engine and auto transmission? I could probably get some cash for the tranny and many other power train parts I won't need including the drive shaft since it's my understanding that there is a length difference between 5 speed and auto (will be getting a 1 piece aluminum DS in addition to the aluminum crankshaft pulley and lite weight flywheel already on hand).

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
My love/obsession is for the MK3 is so, that I just cannot swallow sending this car to the yard. I've already purchased another 89 that's basically rust free (except for the Battery location as usual). Here is the restoration build's link thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?182399-89-7MGTE-time-machine-restoration-quot-build-quot-.Highly-motivated-with-no-time-or-energy
As it is, I now have two 89's and the rust bucket/wrecked one has a clean title and has never been in an accident. I was thinking that perhaps we could save this Supra from the yard if i was able to find a local donor car with rust free replacement body parts (or some non-local members with the ability of cutting and shipping the parts to FL 33181). I'am now thinking of saving this car and once I'm done with the 7MGTE, get a JZ for the proposed cured rust bucket.
There is nothing better than having two MK3s :naughty:!

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
bandit1730;1960488 said:
My love/obsession is for the MK3 is so, that I just cannot swallow sending this car to the yard. I've already purchased another 89 that's basically rust free (except for the Battery location as usual). Here is the restoration build's link thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?182399-89-7MGTE-time-machine-restoration-quot-build-quot-.Highly-motivated-with-no-time-or-energy
As it is, I now have two 89's and the rust bucket/wrecked one has a clean title and has never been in an accident. I was thinking that perhaps we could save this Supra from the yard if i was able to find a local donor car with rust free replacement body parts (or some non-local members with the ability of cutting and shipping the parts to FL 33181). I'am now thinking of saving this car and once I'm done with the 7MGTE, get a JZ for the proposed cured rust bucket.
There is nothing better than having two MK3s :naughty:!
im non local as it gets... but i have a mostly rust free shell im going to cut up and scrap... what do you need?