Wow this section is dead. Any other shooters here?

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
The 6.8 spc is a great round and so is the .458 socom. Newbie I haven't been shooting in Oregon in quite a few years. I usually stick to larch mt English pit or head up north towards st Helens

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
schmuckingham;2035465 said:
That round was made for short barrels PDW weapons an not really accuracy.

So one does not have to hit what they are shooting?

It filled the gap between a 7.62x39 cartridge in an AR and A 5.56,

Actually, its as hard as the 7.62 x 39, it is not between them. The thing is, rounds already exist in a platform like that. It was almost never used and had a short life. It is called the Thompson Sub Machine Gun in 45 ACP.

I try not to get sucked into any of the uncommon rounds, too hard to find and too expensive.

Good plan. Make yourself familiar with gunbot.net. They do it because google will not.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Nick M;2035285 said:
Make sure you do not get sucked into marketing phonies over the shitty 300 blackout.

When you go with an aftermarket AR-15 variant in an alternative caliber, the 6.8 SPC is the best choice. Specifically in a carbine. That is what the cartridge was developed for. AKA the 6.8 x 43.

Don't worry I won't not a fan of the round, to expensive for what you really get...I'm a commblock whore....love me some dirty sickle and hammer 7.62x39 next AR build will be in it. I'm addicted to my Mini-30 and SKS, I love shooting them, and I can run through 100s of rounds and not feel like I just burned some money....

My philosophy until I begin to reload.....shot steel shit until hell freezes over. I've got around 3k rounds of just Red Army, Wolf and Demilled bullshit stacked in 30cal cans just waiting to be eaten.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Do some research when building an AR in 7.62 x 39. I know it's being done, but the amount of case taper makes me think feeding issues will be a challenge.
As far as the 300 BLK is concerned, I think it gets way more shit than it deserves. It was never made for civilians. It actually serves it's purpose very well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SupraMario;2035673 said:
Don't worry I won't not a fan of the round, to expensive for what you really get...I'm a commblock whore....love me some dirty sickle and hammer 7.62x39 next AR build will be in it. I'm addicted to my Mini-30 and SKS, I love shooting them, and I can run through 100s of rounds and not feel like I just burned some money.....

The M855 "green tip" was developed for the belt fed FN-249. The M16A2 was adapted to fit the round. And it does fairly well. But in the standard military carbine of 14.7" barrel, or even shorter for some the bullet fails to yaw (tumble) or fragment with great frequency. So it is just not effective. This became apparent in Afghanistan in 2001. Nothing like a little long range hunting with .22 that isn't going fast. That is why the 6.8 came out. A bigger bullet was needed.

You can read about it here. The article is about the development and why it was chosen and 6.5 was not. Nor was 7mm.

The 6.8 and the 7.62 have similar characteristics, both of which do more damage than the 5.56 in a carbine. They are both much more lethal. I have an SKS. It is a great utility weapon. No doubt. The disadvantage is the non removable 10 shot magazine. RRA has come out with a 7.62 x 39 AR that seems to solve one big issue, namely feeding with the irregular to an AR magazine. Check it out on their site. It shouldn't have any feeding issues.

Or just get the 6.8 and be done with it. Just don't get one that is a SAAMI chamber. That is like buying .223 chambered rifle instead of a 5.56 chambered rifle.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Nick M;2035695 said:
The M855 "green tip" was developed for the belt fed FN-249. The M16A2 was adapted to fit the round. And it does fairly well. But in the standard military carbine of 14.7" barrel, or even shorter for some the bullet fails to yaw (tumble) or fragment with great frequency. So it is just not effective. This became apparent in Afghanistan in 2001. Nothing like a little long range hunting with .22 that isn't going fast. That is why the 6.8 came out. A bigger bullet was needed.

You can read about it here. The article is about the development and why it was chosen and 6.5 was not. Nor was 7mm.

The 6.8 and the 7.62 have similar characteristics, both of which do more damage than the 5.56 in a carbine. They are both much more lethal. I have an SKS. It is a great utility weapon. No doubt. The disadvantage is the non removable 10 shot magazine. RRA has come out with a 7.62 x 39 AR that seems to solve one big issue, namely feeding with the irregular to an AR magazine. Check it out on their site. It shouldn't have any feeding issues.

Or just get the 6.8 and be done with it. Just don't get one that is a SAAMI chamber. That is like buying .223 chambered rifle instead of a 5.56 chambered rifle.

As much as I think the 6.8 SPC round is fun round, it's still to expensive for me to shoot just for the hell of it. Until someone starts pumping it out by the billions like the 7.62x39 round, I'll steer away from it unfortunately. I've been eyeing the RRA AR as it looks well built, but ARs in 7.62x39 are getting pretty popular at this point so building one isn't a massive undertaking anymore. I'm also a big fan of 10 and 20 round mags as I run them in both the Mini 30 and AR10, which I've been looking to even go down to 5 and 10 rounders just because of the weight saving on the rifle itself. 20 rounds of .308 are not light.

My next thing I've been looking into though is a lever action in 38 special.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The only thing that costs what the 7.62 x 39 cost is the 7.62 x 39. And as soon as you get quality round (I also have bulk Tula) the price goes way up. Sellier and Belliot sell it in 110 FMJ at a good price. But not Tula price. You comment on 6.8 price while sporting a .308?

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
.308 is crazy expensive. I run a lot of Tula and wolf .223 through my ars and the price is about the same as the 7.62x39. While the 762x39 does have more stopping power the range on it sucks. I'll stick to .223 Walmart around here carries 500 round cases for 120 of the steel and I've never had an issue. if I need more knock down power I'll go with 12 gauge slugs.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Nick M;2035821 said:
The only thing that costs what the 7.62 x 39 cost is the 7.62 x 39. And as soon as you get quality round (I also have bulk Tula) the price goes way up. Sellier and Belliot sell it in 110 FMJ at a good price. But not Tula price. You comment on 6.8 price while sporting a .308?

I shoot the AR10 like a bolt action almost, so I'll run through like 100 rounds normally at the range doing long range(if you can call it that). With the AR15 and SKS/Mini I just chug through rounds like nothing 500+ on a range day just because it's cheap. Plus when sandy happened people bought 556/223 like it was the last bunch they will ever see, but I could still get 7.62x39 for a relatively cheap price.

suprayo;2035863 said:
.308 is crazy expensive. I run a lot of Tula and wolf .223 through my ars and the price is about the same as the 7.62x39. While the 762x39 does have more stopping power the range on it sucks. I'll stick to .223 Walmart around here carries 500 round cases for 120 of the steel and I've never had an issue. if I need more knock down power I'll go with 12 gauge slugs.

Until a scare happens again, then you can kiss all the 223 good bye along with any ARs on the shell once again...I love our culture of firearms, but some of us are panicky as hell.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Speaking of which, Wal Mart (locally) actually had a bunch in their little glass locker. Most if it is good for plinking and not much else. I still use gun bot.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ Yep: http://tinyurl.com/pon5aql

"The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock, and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked."

"Any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA."

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I hear ya and agree. That said this may turn out to be a good thing. Once it's litigated the ATF must convince a judge that shouldering the brace constitutes "redesign". If that ridiculous argument fails (and several legal experts think there's a good chance it will) the days of SBR rules as we know them may be numbered.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Nick M;2035001 said:
The limp wrist is actually about the Glock, as that is the only way to get it to malfunction. The Glock has to malfunction, not the ammo.

[video=youtube;H_Uqtz2asE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4[/video]

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;2038140 said:
[video=youtube;H_Uqtz2asE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4[/video]

Interesting, Nick. Thanks. I've heard of that, but never really gave any thought to what it actually was. That was impressive how "On Demand" those failures were.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
My daily carry piece does the same thing, just not as bad. Never even knew it did until a fellow shooter kept having it jam on him. It never once jammed on me until I tried to get it to by "limp-wristing" it. I couldn't make it do it every time the way you can with a Glock, but enough to realize that's what he was doing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
In case you actually needed to know how much the Stoner rifle can do past its intended point. This is why the belt feds exist.

[video=youtube;BSizVpfqFtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSizVpfqFtw[/video]