Worth puting back together?

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
321161_256470124398603_100001068527214_704211_1433753216_n.jpg

What do you think, worth putting back together?

Known mechanical damage; High pressure line snapped someplace for the power steering, Coolant reservoir smashed, Possible radiator damage, 3 White Package rims cracked/destroyed(from the curb) and other damage seen from the image.

Edit: More images

IMAG0400.jpg IMAG0401.jpg IMAG0402.jpg IMAG0403.jpg

Last edited:

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
My opinion, nope. Between the body impact and the curb strikes you're going to be finding problems for a good long time. I'd say it's time to start pulling parts and looking for a swap.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Do a search around here for the chassis repair supplement to the repair manual; it'll show you how to measure between various mounting points to see how much damage is actually done. Also, check your suspension arms and mounts...depending on how it hit and how fast, those can go south when wheels meet curbs. Replacement can be as easy as picking up a spare, fully-equipped subframe and bolting it up to the chassis, as long as the chassis is ok.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Hmm it depends whether it's cost affective than buying another shell and transfering everything over. You could buy a nose cut/half cut and chop the front off and weld it on if there's a panel shop out there willing to do it. But i've seen cars out there thats been in worst condition than yours and the panel shops manage to repair it. So it's possible.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Honestly.. I would say no. Although.. you probably have a hell of a parts car :)
For the $$, you can pick up one better.. but thats my opinion. Plus.. its a NA.. I dont have a clue what your rear end is like, but my concern is rear condition on the body. Front can be fixed a lot easier than the rear. If the quarters are solid and there is no underbody rust.. the car is worth it. However.. I still think for the $$ it would take (unless your doing it all yourself), your better off picking up another one.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not rear damage.. rear condition.. meaning.. is there any rust? Thats the area that will fall apart from winter driving up here. To me.. a good Supra has solid quarter panels (no rust inside or out), no rust in the wheel wells (under the undercoat.. where all the ones I find have the metal eroding to paper thin... ) and no rust in the underbody (shock towers, sub frame). Not that people go out looking for that, but I would value a solid back end Supra (with front end damage like yours) at about 2500.00 as it sits.. simply because its cheaper/easier to cut the quarters out, and transfer the subframe without going through all the hassle of repairing.

But.. thats just me. I spent 4500 on rebuilding my rear of my car (because I have NO body skills).. so that would have been a steal... lol.

That was my point. :) So.. it depends on if your getting insurance money for the damage or if you can sell the car, of if you have mad body skills. Lots of factors.. but in the end.. to me.. it depends on rear condition (not damage.. )

... and regardless of all that, I still think there are lots of Supras out there that you can pick up for what it will cost to fix that. (again.. unless you are fixing yourself). Part it out.. buy another. My opinion

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Captain_Phil;1770356 said:
Rear of the car is untouched, only damage is the shown

You broke 3 wheels, there's going to be damage that you can't see.

Honestly, the chance that the main part of the chassis isn't tweaked is next to nil. At this point it's not worth fixing unless it holds some sentimental value and you have tons of money to throw at it (since insurance WILL total it).

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Unless it has sentimental value, buy a shell, swap the parts over and see the good parts from this shell such as the interior and other body parts in the classified section.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just keep in mind.. if your rear portion of the car is solid.. its worth holding onto or selling just for that. The quarter panels do NOT have patch panels and to rebuild that lip is severely difficult.. There are no replacement parts for the rear body that I have found (quarters/wheel wells). I have seen quarter panel cuts selling for 75.00 to 750.00.. personally I would have paid the top dollar for a solid one IF I could have found one when I started. To have a body shop repair it is about 2500.00 per panel and wheel well depending on the severity of damage (mine was pooched.. )

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
Shes only been in Washington for just over a year now, was driven in socal before that. No rust except for a dent near the rear that's about the size of a quarter that can be sanded and repainted.

Since the front quarter panels are undamaged, I'll try to repair her myself over the next few months.