Worst driving conditions

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
First of all, if this is in the wrong section, moderators, please move it where it shoud be.

I'm just curious, whats was the worst conditions anyone has ever driven in?
Very deep snow, freezing conditions, hurricane, extreeme heat. I'm just curious where are the limits of our cars. Also, i bet, there will be some interesting stories.

As for myself. I could say that driving conditions now is horrible here. This winter my car had seen snow up to 30-40cm and temperatures down to -27c.
She's still running :)

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I drove in a snowstorm once where in an hours time I had to pull over and clear the snow off my hood becasue it had piled up to the point that I could see over it. This was in my truck mind you, and I was moving not sitting stopped. I also drove in a storm where there was about 8 inches of ice compacted on the highway. This I know because I was stopped, got out and dug a hole to messure the ice. That was a wild storm too

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Yeah I've been in some pretty wild snowstorms myself. You cant see more than 10-20 ft ahead of you, and your wipers pack snow at the bottom of your windshield until they stop working because they cant go all the way down anymore.

This is more of an off-topic thread btw.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I remember driving through one of our typical insane Texas thunderstorms. The wind was bad enough that it broke trees, rolled semis on their sides and other crazy damage. Car was a champ, though I was kinda scary watching the SUV's getting shoved into different lanes and shit :aigo:

Driven in hail and everything, the way our storms are here they like to just appear on the radar and then do crazy damage...

slightly_red_MA70

Holy S*** I own a Racecar
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
Drove my supra home from a buddys house in the snow one night after coming back from snowboarding, he only lived like maybe 2 kms away but it was crazy. The snow was to the level of my hood on the roads. Had my tire chains on and I just plowed through the snow. Car didnt heat up at all. Next morning looked in the engine bay and it was compacted with snow :3d_frown:

I pretty much drove my supra everyday in the winter of 08/09, almost crashed twice, both missing something by a max on an inch (very lucky) One was my fault when I decided to drift through Agassiz :icon_razz

P.S. Pure summer tires suck in the snow :icon_razz:icon_razz

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Went to school in eastern New Mexico. We'd get dust storms where they would have to turn the lights on during the day to see. My uncles Lincoln got sandblasted so bad it needed a respray. Alot of snow driving but thats not that tough. Have hydroplaned twice-not fun ending either time.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ok, technically I didn't drive but I was in the passenger seat.

I had to do emissions here and they run it on a dyno up to freeway speeds. Well the day I went was rainy and my tires were wet of course. The shop was all wet concrete and slick metal of the dyno and you get a wild ride! The guy tried to dry the tires off and we proceeded to fish tail and slid off the dyno a few times. They have some metal plates next to the roller and they got shot 15 feet out from behind the car! The wheel chocks in the front were shooting out and the front end sliding all over.

When the tires were as dried as he could get them he went for the dyno run. A few seconds in and the first shift to 2nd gear the rear tires spun then got traction again suddenly. According to my gf who was watching at a safe distance, the back wheels caught air at that point and we jolted forward a good foot or two!

After that things settled down a bit and we stayed on the roller at least, still fish tailing at the high speeds.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've got a bunch of extreme examples... no surprise, given the amount of mileage on my driver's license.

I've driven in fog so thick I had to open the door, lean out and look straight down to see the line on the road. Put the car in first gear and let it run at idle - basically crawled through. Even taillights on the car in front of you were invisible beyond the hood.

Snow + high wind. Watched it blow an empty 18 wheeler sideways off the road. Picked up the driver and drove him to the next town, dropped him off at a motel.

Freezing fog. This was wierd... over about 60 miles of freeway, in the fog, ice built up over the front of the car. Heat inside kept the windshield clear, but the handling slowly went to shit, and when I stopped to see if there was something obviously wrong, there was a couple inches of ice built up all over the front. Even the antenna was covered.

Hail. Everyone has heard the stories of big hail. The first piece to hit the car sounded like a gunshot. The second landed on the windshield, and I thought it was going to break the glass. In under a minute, there were hailstones piled up on the road to my knees. The trees beside the road took a severe beating, most of them lost so many branches they couldn't survive.

Bug swarm. Duane was with me on this trip... we drove through this section at night, we thought the road was covered in leaves. Stopped at the next village to stretch, and the front of both our cars were an inch deep in dead bugs, definitely not leaves! Washing that was brutal work.

MkIIIDK

Nucking Foob
Jan 20, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
GrimJack;1500382 said:
Snow + high wind. Watched it blow an empty 18 wheeler sideways off the road. Picked up the driver and drove him to the next town, dropped him off at a motel.

You did the right thing, imo. I would have been scared to shit to see that.

I'm only 21 and the worst was only driving in chicago winter, but that's not bad imo.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It wasn't really dangerous, you just help your fellow man when you can. The driver was outside, he had stopped to put on his chains. As he picked them up off the hooks on the side, the whole rig slowly blew sideways on the ice. There was a nice even grade beside the road, too, so it didn't flip or anything serious... when I pulled up beside him and asked if he wanted a lift into town, he hung the chains back on the hook and stopped swearing long enough to say thanks and climb in.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
GrimJack;1500382 said:
I've got a bunch of extreme examples... no surprise, given the amount of mileage on my driver's license.

I've driven in fog so thick I had to open the door, lean out and look straight down to see the line on the road. Put the car in first gear and let it run at idle - basically crawled through. Even taillights on the car in front of you were invisible beyond the hood.

Freezing fog. This was wierd... over about 60 miles of freeway, in the fog, ice built up over the front of the car. Heat inside kept the windshield clear, but the handling slowly went to shit, and when I stopped to see if there was something obviously wrong, there was a couple inches of ice built up all over the front. Even the antenna was covered.

Hail. Everyone has heard the stories of big hail. The first piece to hit the car sounded like a gunshot. The second landed on the windshield, and I thought it was going to break the glass. In under a minute, there were hailstones piled up on the road to my knees. The trees beside the road took a severe beating, most of them lost so many branches they couldn't survive.

Bug swarm. Duane was with me on this trip... we drove through this section at night, we thought the road was covered in leaves. Stopped at the next village to stretch, and the front of both our cars were an inch deep in dead bugs, definitely not leaves! Washing that was brutal work.

:aigo::aigo::aigo: We've got lovebugs down here. They suck bigtime, but what you guys went through sounds gross.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I don't drive the Supra in bad weather, except for one time during a big (8"+) snowstorm. I didn't get stuck, but grip was a distant memory with the summer tires it had on.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
worst ive done is plowed my street with my bumper... then i got to a main road only to see they werent plowed either, so i said fuck it im going home and called into work.

i got caught in the rain once with my targa off and not with me because of my old sub box, that sucked. drove under an overpass till it stopped

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I've driven in a pile of bad conditions living up here, but I must say nothing makes you have such little control like a half inch of freezing rain. Scary thing, and a good day to be a tow company.

MK3_TJ

May 21, 2008
Kettering, OH
Drove home from work last year on solid ice the whole way. Normally commute takes about 20min. It took 2 hrs. Luckily no one was driving like an idiot though.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the worst i have had is recently driving up the grape vein in pouring down rain hydro planning all over untill i got to the bottom. with better weather. i had good bs re 960 in the rear and falken in the front but f#$% it was scary.