Winterize Idea: Skinny Wheels

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So i read here on the forums that the supra can be more than just a lead sled in the snow with the help from some snow tires.

I dont have any spare rims for my car so i was would need some wheels.
Since you want to cut through the snow with a narrow wheel, should i just pick up any other car's steelie with the same lug pattern with put some snows on em?
How thin can i go?
Is this the right direction to go?
Is it worth it?
Comments and suggestions please

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
the money you will spend on this could easily buy a winter beater, save the supra for the summer there is less chance of a partout thread that way

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
If you are forced to drive it get your self a set of blizzak winter tires, or any winter tires. They make the world of a difference. It is the only thing I can use on my
p1431093_1.gif
to get threw the snow in the winter. Summer tires, I get stuck with 1" of snow on the ground.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i got hankook ventus II tires on there now and they pretty much suck all around, hah

so i can put some blizzaks on some sawblades and give that a shot..
would scoping out a more narrow set of wheels make much of a difference for me?

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
In winter driving conditions the narrower tires are the better. Although, this will be my first winter with a rwd car and i'll have to learn some things in sliperry conditions, but i'm going as narrow as i can on the tires. Also, it is worth choosing winter tires by the most common conditions of the winter in your location. If you don't have much snow only minus temps and ice, go studed. In snowy conditions studs are pretty much worthless. Also, brand and quality of the tire is important. Some perform better or worse in different conditions.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
ValgeKotkas;1431176 said:
I have some 205/55's on my sawblades for winter.

Thats what I used as well. Only time I ever got stuck was when the car was lifted off the ground by snow.

As far as which to choose, if you go with a highly regarded tire by Tire Rack I doubt you'll be disappointed.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
my kumo all seasons 225's did pretty good all winter last year. Of course they are are already bald.. And i never do straight up burnouts... hmm...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
3 years ago I bought a 94 Subaru Legacy Wagon. Heated seats, heated mirrors.
Paid $250 for it, needed a clutch. Got a free clutch for it.
Runs like a champ w/205,000mi on it

Pirelli Winter Carving tires on all 4.

Nothing beats snow tires + AWD and also not destroying your Supra

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
It's not that bad driving it in the winter. It's just getting sideways taking off and coming to stops that is kinda scary sometimes. Oh, and getting sideways trying to pass someone at 45 mph lmao

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I run stock size tires on sawblades - Michelin Mud & Snows, unstudded, during the winter. They are fantastic. I get better traction than AWD / 4WD cars running all seasons.

Remember that AWD only helps you accelerate. Braking, you're just the same as every other poor bastard on the road.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^Agreed, my Goodyears were phenomenal in the snow, much better than the 2 4wd trucks on all seasons my parents run. 205s are "optional" size for stock sawblades and IIRC Toyota recommend them for winter.

Much smaller for relatively mild NJ winters (yes it's cold, but how often are the roads really not cleared) will sacrifice handling in anything other than snow pretty significantly. So I wouldn't bother.