winter storage advice

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
d82635ba-d770-46c7-a58c-357325baa701-1.jpg

Ok so sadly I live in Ontario Canada and have to store my mk3 for the winter. This is the first time ive had to park a car for a season. I have an indoor space ready to go. Not sure if its heated or not but at least its out of the snow.

Im looking for some tips for storing my car from people who have done it before. I want it to last for a long time so im trying to do things right the first time. don't want problems in the spring when it comes out

Thanks

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
This is what I do typically do when I store the car.
  • Store with 1/4 tank of gas or less. You can add Stabil, but I usually don't.
  • Remove the battery. That way it won't slowly drain or start leaking while it sits for months.
  • Store battery in a warm area with a battery maintainer hooked up. This will keep your battery charged.
  • Raise the car and store on stands. This will keep the tires from flatspotting.
  • Remove trash such as fast food garbage, soda cans, etc. These will smell of death in the spring.
  • Remove spare fluid containers (If you aren't carrying spare coolant and oil, are you really driving a Supra?)
  • Place a dust cover on the car.
  • Optional: Place mouse/rodent traps around the car as needed. Alternatively, hire a guard cat.
In the spring, I do the following.
  • Remove the dust cover and pick up rodent traps. Or lay off the cat.
  • Change the oil and filter. Time causes it to break down, so this is absolutely needed.
  • Inspect suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc while the car is on stands.
  • Inspect tires for dry rot or cracking, and set to correct pressure.
  • Remove vehicle from stands.
  • Reinstall the battery.
  • Check all fluids and inspect belts and plug wires.
  • Check that all turn signals, headlights, tail lights, and brake lights work.
  • Fill the car with fresh gas using gas cans. This will mix with the old gas, so that's why I try to store it close to empty.

This isn't all inclusive, and your situation will probably be different for gasoline. I usually drive my car into the middle of October, and I usually have it out by March. I'm betting your Winter is much longer than ours, so you may want to drain the tank, but I will leave that question for one of our members that has experience with that aspect.

-AM3

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
ive read that its better to have a full tank to prevent moisture buildup and thus water that causes corrosion in the fuel system. Is this wrong? I don't really know. And placing a large piece of plastic under the car stops moisture from coming up from the floor and sticking to the underside of the car causing corrosion as well

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Car wash.
Full tank so it doesn't rust the inside of the tank, use some fuel stabilizer.
Covering it is optional but a good idea.
Again, you don't have to jack it up but you can if you have the stands.
Get a smart battery maintainer so it doesn't overcharge.
If you do put it on stands now would be a good time to spray the underside. Get the lines good, fuel and brake.
Also not necessary but if you can start it every few weeks that would be good.
Being stored indoors is the main thing. Lots of benefits there. I love in ontario too and it will be ok.

Nice car btw.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
ill look into a battery maintainer. the battery I have now is brand new so no sense in wasting it.

Theres so many car covers at so many different prices. its giving me a headache searching thru them. Is there a decent cover for a decent price thatll be good for winter storage as well as keeping the rain off when its in the driveway?

Thanks Guyana :) I love my supra.. turns heads everytime I drive it. sadly tho the Clutch is gone in it. slippin bad. ACT extreme s/s kit in the mail now, goin in next week. cant wait, not much time left b4 winter.