Why did my brand new motor fail? pics inside.....

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
so some of you know, a couple months back, i put in a brand new motor. new block from toyota, new head from toyota, new cams, micropolished crank, arp everything....

well the motor blew and i thought i snapped a rod but when i opened up my oil pan, i found this:

p1204890_1.jpg

dont know how it happened...there was no other pieces of metal in the oil pan but the other half of the oil pump. (yes, i took the oil pump cap off for pics)..i was having problems with low oil pressure. found the relief spring and i was compressed to almost half the size it should have been. i compared it to my other oil pump relief spring and was amazed how worn it was....don't know if this has happened to anyone else before, but i though i would post it as i haven't seen it before...btw, it was a re manned oil pump.

Attachments

• 1217081059.jpg
    1217081059.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
TooGoode;1204890 said:
...btw, it was a re manned oil pump.
sounds like your problem is that remanufactured pump. i would have just got a new pump from toyota.... especially since you spent all that money on a New block and head.
was there any damage to the bottom end?
-pete

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I hope that you had some kind of insurance on that re-manufactured oil pump... prove to the people you bought it from that it was in fact the failed part and have them cover the cost of everything else that went out with it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Lesson learned: Never go cheap on the oil pump ;)
(That is an Aisin OEM housing though)

Did you shim the relief spring for more pressure? If so, how much (in mm) did you shim it?

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
jdub;1204919 said:
Lesson learned: Never go cheap on the oil pump ;)
(That is an Aisin OEM housing though)

Did you shim the relief spring for more pressure? If so, how much (in mm) did you shim it?

no didn't shim it. i now know about shimming and i just shimmed my new oil pump with 5mm of washers as well as my oil cooler circuit...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
TooGoode;1204914 said:

YES I can see said the once blind man. Ummm....oil pump fail. Ok, Im safe I ploped down $208 for a new one from Jeff at champion:biglaugh:

Sucks to read about a another 7M failing, and by the sounds of it you did everything the correct way and even started with new OEM block and head, considering toyota mush get like $2500 for each head and block. So here is my question, after spending 4k$+ on new block and head why skimp on $50 for a oil pump?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Shim the cooler relief valve too much and you will cut off flow to the cooler...I'd go 2mm max. Better yet, dump the stock filter head and install a thermostat controlled cooler circuit.

It looks like you were just unlucky...the relief bolt may have been installed incorrectly or over torqued. Could have been a plain ole material failure too.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
92nsx;1204921 said:
YES I can see said the once blind man. Ummm....oil pump fail. Ok, Im safe I ploped down $208 for a new one from Jeff at champion:biglaugh:

Sucks to read about a another 7M failing, and by the sounds of it you did everything the correct way and even started with new OEM block and head, considering toyota mush get like $2500 for each head and block. So here is my question, after spending 4k$+ on new block and head why skimp on $50 for a oil pump?
because i didnt pay for the new parts. i bought the car as a project and it came with the motor. the previous owner said the oil pump was checked and rebuilt. i took the cap off and checked the clearances of it but failed to check the relief spring as i wasn't aware it was a problem for 7m owners at the time. plus, i already spent all my money on purchasing the actual car.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
jdub;1204924 said:
Shim the cooler relief valve too much and you will cut off flow to the cooler...I'd go 2mm max. Better yet, dump the stock filter head and install a thermostat controlled cooler circuit.

It looks like you were just unlucky...the relief bolt may have been installed incorrectly or over torqued. Could have been a plain ole material failure too.

i went with ian's idea and shimmed it ~4mm....

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Ugh. I'm in the middle of a rebuild now, and was wondering if I should keep running my current oil pump (125K), buy a new one, or buy a re-man.

You have just motivated me to suck it up, save $193.66 more and buy a brand new one from Toyota!

Sorry about the carnage - That's heart breaking!

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
DangoAZ;1204936 said:
Ugh. I'm in the middle of a rebuild now, and was wondering if I should keep running my current oil pump (125K), buy a new one, or buy a re-man.

You have just motivated me to suck it up, save $193.66 more and buy a brand new one from Toyota!

get a new one!!! for the love of god, i would hate for this to happen to someone else....i miss driving her, and the money i just spend on this other motor...if you get a re-man, shim it!! ~5mm no more.....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
DangoAZ;1204936 said:

Ya, IMO if you are doing ANY rebuild and your oil pump has more than 50k on it, you should just get a new one.

$200 isn't jack during a rebuild and it's a hell of a lot better than having to tear into your freshly "rebuilt" motor and rebuild it again if that old pump fails.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
that looks like a pressure burst failure....
Did you ever see how much pressure you had on the system?

That or someone cross threaded the hell out of the bolt into the pump relief spring area.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1204974 said:
New oil pump still needs to be inspected...

Agreed, genuine pumps are pretty good but can do with being inspected/clearenced if needed.

As for the Shims I can't see the logic in shimming the Cooler relief less as you're increasing system pressure on the main relief so if the cooler port opens early you lose any pressure benefit. (JDub can enlighten us to his reasoning as my bias against the stock joke cooker is well known and documented ;) )