Why did my brand new motor fail? pics inside.....

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Agree with all of the above. However from a reliability standpoint, a pressure relief valve will last the life of the engine, whereas an oil thermostat will not. So in the end Toyota selected a system that would not require any maintenance since unlike a coolant thermostat, there is no simple way for the owner to know if the oil thermostat has failed.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Just dropped the pan 2 weekends ago and shimmed it 4mm. I remember torquing that bold down for the spring. Looking at the first pic where is the bolt head ?

Damn that sucks man.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
gtsfirefighter;1205171 said:
That's pretty much my thought.

I truly hope works out for you.
just to make it worse!!!! i got her running and driving with the newer motor and IT has rodknock!! dammit! its faint but its there...i have really good oil pressure now (20 psi idle) but the new motor is no good.....

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Did you do or say somthing to piss the car off? Thats a real suck about your motors. dont let it get ya down tho, keep up the good work.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Not an encouraging thread for me, as I'm considering the ups and downs of doing an engine rebuild.

Good luck.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
just build it right the first time! check your clearances and dont buy a motor from someone unless they know exactly what they were doing then they built it...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I remember someone mentioning having to go to the dealer with feeler gadges and going through a few oil pumps until he found one within the tolerances specified in the TSRM.

Also remember someone digging TINY pieces of metal out of the pump as well.

Hence why I say inspect it.

If you have a faint knock it might be a simple fix, the longer it runs the worse and more expensive it gets...

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Anytime you have metal in the bottom of the motor you need to remove the bearings and replace them all. Everywhere. Wash out the block and head. polish the crank ect. All it takes is a little metal still in the motor and it ends up embedding into the softer bearings. Then....rod knock.