Whos has a Carbon Fibre Hood on their MKIII and are you using hood pins?

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
Hey guys I recently installed my CF hood and I was wondering how many of you guys are using a CF hood and are you using hood pins, if so what brand?

Also if you guys could post pictures of what your cars look like with their CF hoods that would be great as well.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
attachment.php

Here's my car a few years back (and dirty).

The hood pins are from autozone I believe, but they rods are welded to my radiator support.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I would definitely recommend hood pins. AeroCatch flush mounts are real nice and relatively easy to install. I have a SC300 with a Seibon CF hood and at speed before the hood pin install it was rather unnerving to watch the hood move around, now it's locked down tight-no worries. You could also check out the recent GB on here from Central Composites, Marcus posted a pic of the Aero Catch pins installed. My new hood should be here by the weekend, if I have time I'll post a pic of the raised cowl hood with the pins.
You could also check out Rodel's thread- Notorious MK3- he has a few good pics of the hood pins and one, as I remember, that was flush mounted and round with a smaller profile than the Aero Catch.

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
I don't have a CF hood but I would like to highly recommend going and having a couple of coats of clear shot on your hood. It will add some much needed protection, more so than just the resins they use to make the hood. Also a plus, it will give the CF some SEDIMENT depth.

Just a thought for you all with Carbon Fiber hoods or any other exterior pieces.

:)

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
SWD Fredester 3;1837593 said:
I would definitely recommend hood pins. AeroCatch flush mounts are real nice and relatively easy to install. I have a SC300 with a Seibon CF hood and at speed before the hood pin install it was rather unnerving to watch the hood move around, now it's locked down tight-no worries. You could also check out the recent GB on here from Central Composites, Marcus posted a pic of the Aero Catch pins installed. My new hood should be here by the weekend, if I have time I'll post a pic of the raised cowl hood with the pins.
You could also check out Rodel's thread- Notorious MK3- he has a few good pics of the hood pins and one, as I remember, that was flush mounted and round with a smaller profile than the Aero Catch.

Thanks man I'm def. getting the aerocatches. I have the same unnerving feeling when I'm going down the highway, so I will be taking care of this asap. Thanks

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hell, my stock hood moves around enough to make me a bit nervous (missing the rear firewall seal, highway speeds cause rear of hood to shimmy a bit more than I'm comfortable with), so with a hood I've paid good money for, you bet your ass I'd recommend pins.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
haha mine has a huge bow on the drivers side (right hand drive though) and yeah I don`t like topping her out it definately feels with the lip on the side sticking up its just one big gust away from going down the highway behind me.

Aku

And The Boost Goes On
Feb 24, 2010
Irvine, CA
Aerocatch all the way, just make sure you get the proper kind since there are a few variations. The larger surface area of the top mounted Aerocatches makes them much less prone to stress cracks and such. Just make sure to lube them, and possibly paint to avoid fading. Oh and this is just extra but replacing the included hardware with stainless is another preventative wear idea. Beware of fake/replica Aerocatches, they are out there.

On my painted Stout replica(mounted angled):
grayday1.png

Bare carbon hood(angled):
topsecretcygnus1.jpg

Sorry for the large pics. As for why I did it, seeing a composite hood bow at speed with just a molded in latch makes me rather uneasy. I know they are safe for the most part, but the added peace of mind doesn't hurt. I was also able to remove the factory hood latch assembly, which was weight saved although not the primary reaspn.

Attachments

• grayday1.png
    grayday1.png
    575 KB · Views: 31

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Aku;1925568 said:
Aerocatch all the way, just make sure you get the proper kind since there are a few variations. The larger surface area of the top mounted Aerocatches makes them much less prone to stress cracks and such. Just make sure to lube them, and possibly paint to avoid fading. Oh and this is just extra but replacing the included hardware with stainless is another preventative wear idea. Beware of fake/replica Aerocatches, they are out there.

On my painted Stout replica(mounted angled):
grayday1.png

Bare carbon hood(angled):
topsecretcygnus1.jpg

Sorry for the large pics. As for why I did it, seeing a composite hood bow at speed with just a molded in latch makes me rather uneasy. I know they are safe for the most part, but the added peace of mind doesn't hurt. I was also able to remove the factory hood latch assembly, which was weight saved although not the primary reaspn.

i want your stout hood....

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
Awhile back Titan was selling stout replicas. Never saw it in there site, just forum posts about it. Might be worth asking about.
Also, on topic, I watched the carbon fiber top layer separate and fly off my friends car at ~120. I'd definitely always run hoodpins on a cf Hood after seeing that happen in person.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Similar to Rodel, albeit a less snazzy hood :p

Pin mounts are bolted underneath the rad support

My solution to keeping the hood open:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I don't think there long enough but I think some Honda hatchback shocks might be soft enough for a cf hood shock. Might require a custom mount tho.

I like how you mounted yours underneith Steve. Do they all come red?