Who Makes What Tools. (Interesting Read)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I got my assortment of snap on, mac, craftsman, harbor freight, husky, Stanley and just about whatever else that gets the job done.

It's like this, you don't always need dealership parts. Aftermarket might prove better anyways.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
How are you folks managing to break tools? Other than a very occasional socket, I can't recall ever breaking a tool.

I don't use high end stuff, either, my toolbox is a mixture of Craftsman and Mastercraft Max.

Hell, I haven't even managed to break a ratcheting wrench, and I use those all the time now.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
GrimJack;1370097 said:
How are you folks managing to break tools? Other than a very occasional socket, I can't recall ever breaking a tool.

I don't use high end stuff, either, my toolbox is a mixture of Craftsman and Mastercraft Max.

Hell, I haven't even managed to break a ratcheting wrench, and I use those all the time now.

Yah I rarely break shit, and I've used my hammer on the maxium ratchet wrenchs. Crappy tire makes a good wrench.

But it's gonna be all MAC in a few weeks!!!!!:evil2::evil2::love::love::biglaugh::biglaugh::icon_bigg:icon_bigg

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 50% OFF!!!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
GrimJack;1370097 said:

Back in my stupider days, I used a 3/8 drive 19mm socket stepped up to a 1/2 inch wrench to remove the crank pulley....

Lets just say that the weak link was not the bolted connection.

I can't say this was a defect with the tools though, it was moreseo a defect with the user.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Tire Shredder;1369206 said:
my specific set is 205 pieces and got it for $75 at a "door crasher" sale...regular price was $249.00. the set came with 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive rachets and each has shallow and deep sockets.

I'd imagine adam has something similar!

259 pc set is what I picked up. Its got the 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets in deep, normal, 6, and 12-point. come to think of it, there are probably more than 8 12mm sockets...

haven't gotten that much use out of them as I've got a few craftsmen sets where I work on my car, but they've stood up to a good deal of abuse anyhow.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I've only once had to use my craftsman warranty... my 14mm 1/2 drive socket was more like a 13.6mm socket, and didn't fit on a 14mm bolt. It was very annoying. Got a new one, it worked great.

When something is stuck, I pull out the penetrant and my 36" breaker bar, and sometimes an impact socket if it's REALLY stuck. Sometimes I think I'm going to break the breaker bar, but usually the bolt gives in first.

If something breaks, it needed replacing anyway, right?

;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I broke a 3/8 craftsman ratchet after many years of bad abuse.

a 12pt 1/2 19mm socket by kicking it half dozen times to get these bmw rims loose.

a 10mm gearwrench from adjusting too many bus calipers.

besides that all my tools can take it.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Not having big enough impact sockets... putting pipes over the ratchets... using a mini-sledge to help 'encourage' bolts to come loose... You know... Typical 'wear and tear'. :icon_bigg

It's a flocking tool, not something to showcase on your mantel.