Who has the oldest Supra?

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Well I didn't expect it to be so complicated, but my first intent and interest was for the MKlll however, the earlier model debates are entertaining.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Poodles;1765531 said:
...and yet having the same attitude that MKIV owners have about MKIII's not being "real" supras is asinine.

Anyway, carry on with your bickering, gives me something to do later :rofl:

Whatever you want to call it, im just going by what Toyota designated the car. If Toyota decided to call the MK3 a CelicaSupra thats what itd be and the MK4 would be the only real Supra. However since Toyota designated the MK3 as "Supra" thats what its going to be. You dont have to be a genius to figure that out. However since you seem to enjoy arguing im just going to stop here since you dont like to be wrong as demonstrated by your actions in flashchat.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I dunno about the rest of you, but the rear trim on my 84 says "SUPRA" about as clear as can be... I'm not in JDM-land, who on here is?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
MK2 owners can kid themselves all day, but it's a Celica. If you really want to stretch it, it's a Celica Supra, but notice how that 'Celica' is ever present.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
JDMMA70;1765546 said:
Whatever you want to call it, im just going by what Toyota designated the car.

Yes, they designated it Celica Supra.

JDMMA70;1765546 said:
If Toyota decided to call the MK3 a CelicaSupra thats what itd be and the MK4 would be the only real Supra. However since Toyota designated the MK3 as "Supra" thats what its going to be.

You seem to be missing the fact it's called a Supra still. One could sa it's like calling a Trans-Am a Firebird or a Camaro, they're the same chassis, right? Oh, wait, the chassis is labeled different on the Supras compared to the Celicas.

JDMMA70;1765546 said:
You dont have to be a genius to figure that out. However since you seem to enjoy arguing im just going to stop here since you dont like to be wrong as demonstrated by your actions in flashchat.

Thanks for the personal attack. If you don't like how I do my job, go ahead and contact an admin. Until then, drop the act.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Supra was only a grade level of the Celica, like ST, GT and GT-S, it wasn't an actual model in it's own right until 1986.

So no, there was no Supra models before 1986. The 15th Anniversay Edition wasn't even a factory thing. Toyota USA just stuck those stickers on when the car got here from Japan.

You can argue it both ways pretty agressively, I mean in spirit (and due to many similarities and lineage), I do consider the MK1/2 to be Supras. That being said, it really was just an export name for the Celica XX grade level.

As for Firebirds, Trans-Ams and Camaros: Trans-Am is not the model name of a car, it is a grade level on the Firebird. The model names are only Firebird and Camaro.

Jeff

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I was gonna mention that Toyota USA came up with the anniversary thing just as a sales tactic, but I couldn't find the evidence so I refrained from posting; glad that's cleared up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main issue is that while the Supras were based off the Celica, there are a very different car chassis wise. My point about the GM F-bodies was that a TA/Firebird =/= Camaro and they share more in common than a Celica and a Celica Supra.

Though I've always wondered why they didn't use the XX name. The Supra name is not Japanese either...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
DreamerTheresa;1765507 said:
incomingmod.gif

Jeff Lange;1765660 said:
Supra was only a grade level of the Celica, like ST, GT and GT-S, it wasn't an actual model in it's own right until 1986.

So no, there was no Supra models before 1986. The 15th Anniversay Edition wasn't even a factory thing. Toyota USA just stuck those stickers on when the car got here from Japan.

You can argue it both ways pretty agressively, I mean in spirit (and due to many similarities and lineage), I do consider the MK1/2 to be Supras. That being said, it really was just an export name for the Celica XX grade level.

Jeff is the little dog that brings the cold hard facts :)

Everyone needs to take it easy with the e-penis steroids!

Sam

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Who cares what their called. Celica or Supra, they are all great cars. All of them had something special to give to their owners.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh, and to answer the question that was asked, the title on my 84 says "Supra", but that will likely vary state to state and country to country... Ever seen a 2nd or 3rd gen Celica up close? I've owned a 2nd gen AND a Mk1, and while they are very similar, there is enough difference to make it it's own model... same with the 3rd gen Celica/Mk2.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Jeff Lange;1765660 said:

As for Firebirds, Trans-Ams and Camaros: Trans-Am is not the model name of a car, it is a grade level on the Firebird. The model names are only Firebird and Camaro.

Jeff
I'll also mention that car companies tend to take advantage of the grey areas - I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see Toyota putting, say, 50th anniversary editions out in widely separated time spans to boost sales.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
te72;1766318 said:
Oh, and to answer the question that was asked, the title on my 84 says "Supra", but that will likely vary state to state and country to country... Ever seen a 2nd or 3rd gen Celica up close? I've owned a 2nd gen AND a Mk1, and while they are very similar, there is enough difference to make it it's own model... same with the 3rd gen Celica/Mk2.
not trying to bust your balls just saying.

p1766491_1.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
JDMMA70;1766491 said:
not trying to bust your balls just saying.

Fair enough. Badge on the nose says the same thing, but to take it back to the domestic agreement, it's almost like comparing an L98 (L88?) C4 Corvette to the ZR1 C4 Corvette. :)