Who has a black intercooler?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
I was thinking about getting a black FMIC. Does anyone have any pics of a black FMIC on a mk3? or can someone photoshop the intercooler color on a mk3 at least?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If you already have an intercooler why dont you just spraypaint yours black instead of buying another one?
A light coat of paint just to make it black wont hurt its efficiency at all.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
There is special heat-conducting paint you can use, that supposedly increases it's efficiency.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
RedEj8;1017297 said:
If you already have an intercooler why dont you just spraypaint yours black instead of buying another one?
A light coat of paint just to make it black wont hurt its efficiency at all.

I have a ams/cartech intercooler. its a bit small, so i was planing on getting a bigger one that will cover the open space around my front bumper

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
IJ has/had pics in his buildup of his black piping. I've heard that its not worth it for powdercoating, but I've not seen reliable sources prove one way or the other for preference.

I personally might be doing it because it would look better IMO. I have a black mesh grill going in its place to protect it, so I might not bother. Prolly will though.
|
V Same here

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
powdercoating i could see it hurting the efficency of the IC because its so thick, and it would probably not let air through the fins.

i would just use a light coat of krylon bbq paint and call it a day.

neetriht

Apr 4, 2006
Birmingham
You could get it anodized black, that wont hurt efficiency. Using paint to put a thin layer on the intercooler will cause a slight decrease in efficiency but it would be negligible. Thick layers over the intercooler, like powder coating, are a no no, as it will insulate them.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I have mine painted flat black, with the stock grill in place. Cant even see it from 3 feet away staring right into it :)

Those mustangs have no idea whats comming ;)

I can get pics if your really interested...

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
shaeff;1017310 said:
There is special heat-conducting paint you can use, that supposedly increases it's efficiency.

what he said just buy the paint save money and time and youll have the same thing you wanted in the first place