White smoke on deceleration...

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
drjonez said:
no restrictor on the oil inlet? if not, then there's your problem. -6 is WAY too big for oil feed.....drop it to -4 or -3 or get a restrictor....

Sorry Adam - I talked to Jeff and he says the oil feed line is in fact AN-4. W/ the shimmed pump, is AN-4 too large?

Interesting side note while digging for info... Crimped connectors have a significantly smaller ID than Earl's/Aeroquip fittings. I happen to have Earl's throughout...

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
-Rich87Tx2 said:
Interesting side note while digging for info... Crimped connectors have a significantly smaller ID than Earl's/Aeroquip fittings. I happen to have Earl's throughout...

should be the same. usually the crimped connectors are JIC line which will have a smaller OD due to hose design. internal dimensions should be the same.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
MDCmotorsports said:
Rich, lets put on a restrictor and see what she does.

No prob. I tried to find one local and the shops were all stumped... I did manage to score 5 gallons of C16 fuel though. :naughty:

I did a bit of T&T last night and double checked what I've posted.

Oil pressure goes up to ~45psi @ 3,000RPM and it stays rock solid through to 6,000RPM according to the factory gauge for what that's worth. Someone said they suspect my oil pressure would continue to climb after 3,000RPM.... Is not the case.

I tightened up the WG actuator a bit last night. It was giving me 7psi, and is now set to 13psi. I'm guessing that running 15psi with the actuator set to 7psi is too much of a gap for the EBC to cover. I'll make a separate post for that if needed.

I don't know what to say about the smoke... last night it looked very blue. I reset the fuel parameters while I was dinking with the actuator so the car is running extemely rich, which I'll try to improve tonight.

Back to square one again setting up boost control, and pulling fuel. :icon_mad:

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
heh. your local shops suck if they don't have that restrictor....you could order one from atpturbo.com or something.

your oil press doesn't go up any more because of the stock oil cooler setup- it's pressure based. once you reach the set pressure (40ish...), the valve opens to the oil cooler and bleeds off all excess pressure.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
drjonez said:
heh. your local shops suck if they don't have that restrictor....you could order one from atpturbo.com or something.

your oil press doesn't go up any more because of the stock oil cooler setup- it's pressure based. once you reach the set pressure (40ish...), the valve opens to the oil cooler and bleeds off all excess pressure.

My whole town sucks pretty major a$$ when it comes to import performance cars & turbos. That's the joy of living in the midwest - away from the big cities. Everything is domestic, carbed, BB and supercharged.

Any idea what ID size I should look for (or drill out to)? Damn, I'm so stupid. He had the NPT->AN-4 fitting in stock. I should have just had him tig weld the end closed and took that home. Then I could have drilled it out to whatever size I want. :icon_mad:

Last edited:

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
MDCmotorsports said:
BAH HUMBUG! Go get another tranny and swap it out! ASAP! You have 3 weeks!

When I posted that, I thought I had 2 weeks and next weekend I won't be home... At least that gives me an extra weekend. :1zhelp:

Electric S

Suprattitude
Jan 22, 2006
Oss, Netherlands
Is the smoke-problem solved?
I've the very same problem!

My pretty much stock set-up:
K&N FIPK (recharged it 2 months ago)
Full 3" exhaust (turbo-back)
Shimmed stock CT-26 (2 washers / bolt)
PCV set-up = stock

Mine is smoking after decelleration if the turbo has spooled
It's a pretty big cloud of blue smoke
If I drive like a old #&^% and the turbo hasn't build up boost, it doesn't smoke while decelerating

What can be the problem?
Bad valve stem seals or PCV or something?
I think I'll try to vent the PCV to the ground and see what happens

I'll try to make a vid today
Maybe it makes things a little bit more clear for you guys

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
BUMP!
I have the exact same problem.
I feel my smoke is blue/grey rather than white however.
There is oil after the turbo in the intercooler pipes, but nothing at the throttle body end of the intercooler piping. Does this mean it's vapourized by the time it gets to the T/B or maybe its just not enough to be an issue?

I don't understand why it only smokes when I lift off. It cant be the turbo as its not white.
I thought:
White = unburnt oil (i.e. turbo and not in the combustion chamber)
Grey/Blue = Burnt oil, (i.e. entering the combustion chamber somehow)
Is the above correct?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
5uprahboy said:
BUMP!
I have the exact same problem.
I feel my smoke is blue/grey rather than white however.
There is oil after the turbo in the intercooler pipes, but nothing at the throttle body end of the intercooler piping. Does this mean it's vapourized by the time it gets to the T/B or maybe its just not enough to be an issue?

I don't understand why it only smokes when I lift off. It cant be the turbo as its not white.
I thought:
White = unburnt oil (i.e. turbo and not in the combustion chamber)
Grey/Blue = Burnt oil, (i.e. entering the combustion chamber somehow)
Is the above correct?

Stock PCV is to blame for oil in your IC pipes. Unfortunatley I can offer no further insights.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
1988SupraDreams said:
Stock PCV is to blame for oil in your IC pipes. Unfortunatley I can offer no further insights.

Sorry but I should have mentioned:
I'm running a 1G-GTE
KKK K26 Audi Turbo
HKS VPC (i.e. no AFM)
PCV is a short pipe from cam covers to T/B and apparently is working correctly.

Hunt

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Hunt - Your turbo PCV system has to have vacuum pull from the turbo intake. Theres no other way around it.

Oil from the compressor seal or PVC system is blue, grey, or white.

Oil comming from the turbine seal is PURE WHITE.

Most turbo smoking comes from:

-Too small or dirty air filter
-Small drain line (must be -10 or larger)
-Too large of feed line. Must be no larger than -4.
-Kinked or clogged drain line
-Broken PCV system. A turbo must see vacuum internally to seal propperly
-Imbalanced turbine assembly (unit must be rebuilt)
-Dying turbo charger (Again, rebuild time)

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Hey guys - updating this thread from the dead...

It was probably turbo related, specifically a restricted oil return line. I sent the turbo to Jon @ MDC and he confirmed the rear seal was coked up. I'm awaiting a new turbo and line set from Jeff Tamulis.

The car has been turbo-less since it broke August last year. Once I get the new turbo in and see no smoke, I'll post up the good news.

-Rich
(Turbo -> NA conversion using the MAFTPRO) :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Hey all - to bring a closure to this thread I finally got a new turbo and installed it. Smoke is completely gone and the car is running great.

Thanks go out to JTamulis and Jon @ MDC. :icon_bigg