Where to Mount? Suggestions/Pics?

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I need some help/suggestions on where to mount everything in my 89 Supra. I will have the following items, and I do not want a pillar pod. I am not fully opposed to putting the boost gauge in place of the stock unit, although it won't look super clean. The cig lighter and ashtray locations are also fair game, as long as it's somewhat clean. Any pics you have of your setup would help as well.

double din stereo
apexi neo
greddy profec b2
innovate wideband gauge
boost gauge

Thanks.

Ben

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I would mount your double din stereo Here :biglaugh:

p1291595_1.jpg

p1291595_2.jpg

And for your gauges head on over to suprasport and order their piller gauge pod.

Then put the NEO where the ash tray is with the b2 where King said to.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'd throw it all in the glove box (aside from the stereo of course). Only time you'll be looking at everything is when tuning, so theres no real point of it messing up your dash. When you want to tune, open the gove box. Boost gauge would be the only gauge I'd really even think of having out if I were you.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
i have a AEM truboost boost controller in my cig lighter location and both of my buddies have gauges in there ill try to get pics to tomorrow... i think it looks pretty cool IMO

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
i put all my guages into the stock cluster.. temp, oil, and boost. i also put my wideband in where the cig used to be and my ebc in the ashtray. super clean

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
You've convinced me on mounting my double din unit in the stock stereo location. :icon_bigg I think I'll put the boost gauge in the cig lighter spot, the neo at the ashtray, and the rest in the glove box. I'll leave enough slack in the neo cord to be able to put it in the glove box when necessary.

What size gauge fits in the cig lighter hole?

Ben

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
standard 2 1/16 fits, you'll have to trim a lil bit but take your time and get it close, when u put the gauge in it should hold itself in and the trim will sit flush.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
just to let you know, a gauge in the ash tray location will be useless to you when driving. It is impossible to look at while keeping your eyes on the road. I had a boost gauge there for a time and quickly removed it. I'd rather keep a +12V outlet.

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Ok, I have decided not to mount the boost gauge in the cig lighter spot. Instead, I think I will replace my stock boost, water temp, and oil pressure gauges with aftermarket ones in the stock locations.

What size will I need to put them in there like the attachement? 52mm or 60mm? I would measure them myself, but my mechanic has the car.

Thanks.

Ben

Attachments

• perfect gauges.jpg
    perfect gauges.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 64

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
I have a 52mm prosport in the stock boost location, LOOKS real good imho.
I had a profec on top of the steering column but didnt like it and that is where the wideband is going. Id like to keep an eye on if im going to go boom....once i get the damn stumble tuned out of her.

You might need the 60MM for ALL that BIG Ballbearing bolt on turbo you have. ;)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i like boost and egt's AND A/f ratios as close to the tach or my line of sight as possible.

the ashtray slot holds two gauges nicely.

92nsx what did you use to make the black filler in the ashtray slot?

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
So I ordered three Auto Meter Z series 52mm gauges yesterday. I got a mechanical boost, electric oil pressure, and electric water temp. I plan on mounting them in the stock locations behind the glass, and these should look alright since they're black-faced and bezeled.

Now to decide on the double-din stereo unit...

Ben

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
grimreaper;1292607 said:
92nsx what did you use to make the black filler in the ashtray slot?

I just took a piece of .0625" thick aluminum sheet and cut & sanded it to fit. Then cut the hole sizes I wanted in it, to fit my temp gauges. ( I cut them too big that is why there is a rubber trim on the one side ). In my last supra I had that plate cut for 2- 52mm gauges but the top and bottom of the plate gets REALLY thin. Like 1 mm left on top and bottom and brakes to easy.

Then so it wouldn't be full of rice being alum color, look, I just rattled canned it flat balck. A piece of ABS plastic or something like that, would also look and work pretty good. Any hobby store or home depot should have that.

About filling the glove box with electronics I am not a fan of that. I would rather keep it free and open for, insurance papers, nav discs, cd's, gloves, manuals, 6 way screw driver, cell phone charger, camera, ect in there.

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
benk777;1291570 said:
I need some help/suggestions on where to mount everything in my 89 Supra. I will have the following items, and I do not want a pillar pod. I am not fully opposed to putting the boost gauge in place of the stock unit, although it won't look super clean. The cig lighter and ashtray locations are also fair game, as long as it's somewhat clean. Any pics you have of your setup would help as well.

double din stereo
apexi neo
greddy profec b2
innovate wideband gauge
boost gauge

Thanks.

Ben

i have the same apexi neo and i pulled out the ash tray and with a little triming of the seal (which u'll never see) its a perfect fit.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I mounted my innovative AFR meter where the buttons are for the coin holder & blank panel left of the stearing column in that plastic piece. its easily visable & doesnt block my other gauges and doesnt draw cops attention to it like on the pillars or dash.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
grimreaper;1292607 said:
i like boost and egt's AND A/f ratios as close to the tach or my line of sight as possible.

the ashtray slot holds two gauges nicely.

X10
Afr gauge is most important I think.

I put my LC1 and boost in that little peice of trim in front of passenger seat. It's a little stretch but I can still safely see the road. Was also agaist the A pillar because of the riceous look.