Where to get male 1/4" bspt to male -6an fitting in the U.S. / water neck

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
EDIT: Reworded what I type, being civil

Sorry but that isn't what I am looking for, but thank you for the advice.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
That picture was of a strait thread fitting, not a pipe thread fitting.
BSP, and NPT are almost identical except.........
Actual thrad profile differs slightly, and thread diameter on the NPT is just a little larger than BSP.

Easy fix........
Run a NPT tap into the BSP port just a few turns, and it will now be a NPT port.

I too have used NPT directly into a BSP port, and got away with it.
The fitting ussually will not thread in as far, and you end up with few threads holding it.
But for $5, you can pick up an NPT tap, and all will be good.
Since they are tapered threads, you don't want to run it all the way in,
but just until it starts cutting, and a turn after that, then re-try the NPT fitting.
If not deep enough yet, do it again.
If you goo too deep, you may end up with an oversize hole, and then your screwed.
So just do a little at a time.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
gofastgeorge;1440112 said:
That picture was of a strait thread fitting, not a pipe thread fitting.
BSP, and NPT are almost identical except.........
Actual thrad profile differs slightly, and thread diameter on the NPT is just a little larger than BSP.

Easy fix........
Run a NPT tap into the BSP port just a few turns, and it will now be a NPT port.

I too have used NPT directly into a BSP port, and got away with it.
The fitting ussually will not thread in as far, and you end up with few threads holding it.
But for $5, you can pick up an NPT tap, and all will be good.
Since they are tapered threads, you don't want to run it all the way in,
but just until it starts cutting, and a turn after that, then re-try the NPT fitting.
If not deep enough yet, do it again.
If you goo too deep, you may end up with an oversize hole, and then your screwed.
So just do a little at a time.
lol $5, I will just open my tool box and grab the tap I have in there.

Im not looking to change the threads on the water neck, ok, got it??????

Just looking for the correct fitting. If you dont know where to find one or get one why are you posting?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
threaddirection.jpg

Folks, the OP doesn't want to modify what he's got. While I'm sure he appreciates your enthusiasim, let's try to answer the question at hand, ok?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Folks this is the prolbem

Close is not CORRECT. As Rob mentioned, NPT = 27 TPI while BSPT = 28 TPI. There are other differences too like the angle of the threads. Close only gets you crossthreadsing. Just because it does not leak does not make it right.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand.

http://fittingsandadapters.com/maljictomalb1.html

JIC to BSPT.

Correct adapter on the BSPT side, no cross threading, and JIC has the same dimensions as AN fittings so it is a direct replacement.....

4U2QUIK;1440108 said:
you can just re-thread the british straight pipe thread with a same sized npt tap. I do this all the time. Works great 90% of the time. the other 10% is when the bspt was drilled the wrong size to begin with.
the npt and the bspt's are the samme thread, just one is tapered so it seals up.

BIG NEGATIVE.

TO re-tap will require a two size increase to have enough metal to get a good proper thread. Otherwise just trying to retap (especially without cold forming) will remove more metal.

NPT and BPT are not the same. The TPI are not the same, angle of the threads are NOT the same. Close does not mean it is the same.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
4U2QUIK;1440348 said:
BTW I'm an inspector at a very high end machine shop.
and I have over 12 years machining and programming experience.

But that doesn't matter to a forum master..........

I have been working with hydraulics for more years than that.
Many manufactures like Danfoss, who's products have BSP threads, say that NPT fittings are close enough (this is on 5000 psi hydraulic systems) that with just using LocTite hydraulic sealant on them.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
gofastgeorge;1440353 said:
But that doesn't matter to a forum master..........

Figgies staff position doesn't give his words any more, or any less weight in this topic than anyone elses. So please, stop with the whiny "trash the staff" bullshit, ok? I'm getting about fucking tired of it.

If you disagree, post your facts and take him on. He didn't say "I'm a mod, my word is god"... If he did, you come get me. Otherwise, give it a rest.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "take" on the issue...

In the past I've retapped an 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT, is this the best way to do it? NO but if done carefully it works fine.

I also worked in industry with hydraulics/pneumatics and as long as you don't cut the new thread past about 50% of the NPT Tap depth it will work fine with a little thread sealer of your choice.

Go past 50% and you end up with a "Dick In a GumBoot fit" that will NEVER seal.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well since it has been solved my info is late. both mcmaster-carr and msc supply have adaptors in just about any metric-bspt and npt-bspt. probably even have it on the fitting rack at work as well, which is supplied by grainger.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Have you tried a local hydraulics shop? I'd read all the horror stories about NA-T oil lines and the BSP ports and no one ever being able to find a fitting. I called around and the third shop I called had all kinds of BSP stuff.

Try calling Pirtek: http://www.pirtekusa.com/locations.asp They're franchises so they may not all carry the same parts but the one here had everything I needed in stock.

EDIT: Ahhh... nevermind... got sick of wading through all the shit and didn't see you'd already found a source for the part.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Again, even though it's been solved....for future reference, try and find out if an Applied Industrial is near you. They have a site you can order from, but navigation is a NIGHTMARE.

Oh, and as long as the steel fittings are zinc-coated, you should be golden on no rusting (providing the fitting isn't in direct weather/elements).

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Since you already ordered, this for future reference. I use these guys alot at work. You can send for a catalog too because the online catalog is a pain to find stuff. Nice to have laying around. They have tons of stuff. I bought some braided wire covering for high heat applications for example.

They only show stainless. The 9/16-18 flared end is a #6 AN.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#an/as-tube-fittings/=4aomcz

Rich

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
90T04;1440395 said:
I thought it had to be something other than steel?

Yep I did, only these fittings I ordered are coated (I think zink) so they wont corrode, witch I was looking for ;)

Not just raw steel like Pegasus racing had. And yes I called Pegasus and asked, they are raw steel with no coating.

Rich,

It dose look like McMaster also has a fitting that would work in Stainless Steel too, Part # 5097K34.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
IJ.;1440372 said:
My "take" on the issue...

In the past I've retapped an 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT, is this the best way to do it? NO but if done carefully it works fine.

I also worked in industry with hydraulics/pneumatics and as long as you don't cut the new thread past about 50% of the NPT Tap depth it will work fine with a little thread sealer of your choice.

Go past 50% and you end up with a "Dick In a GumBoot fit" that will NEVER seal.

thanks IJ.
that's all I was trying to get at.
and if you have the guage you'll never end up with th dick in a gumboot fit. lol