where can i buy my paint.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
One quart was more than enough for my entire rear bumper, and all my side stripes... This was for 2 coats of paint... Still have about a third left...
I also used this clear coat here from AutoZone...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...sh-system/_/N-25gw?itemIdentifier=898489_0_0_
Everything came out pretty well after some rubbing compound...
Hope this helps...

suprakidd;1864639 said:
thank you chris!

what clear coat/hardener did you go with?

how much did you order?

ill be painting engine bay, and body, door sill are in good shape..

would 2 quarts gett it done?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Any pics of said work? I am quite sure it something that could be done on my own, but if I am going to DIY this, I want to know that the stuff I'm going to be using is the same type of stuff the shops use. Plus I want to make sure that even if I do it the correct way that this stuff is going to turn out good. I don't want to spend a few hours prepping and then painting, just to have it come out looking like a Maaco $249 special

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I just googled automotive paint supply stores in phoenix, az. and came up with a list of stores. Why not go visit a couple of them and chat with them about paint. They'll lead you in the right direction of what kind, quality, and quantity of materials you'll need to get the job done. Make sure you visit a couple so you can get a second or third opinion.

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
91Supra313;1864648 said:
Any pics of said work? I am quite sure it something that could be done on my own, but if I am going to DIY this, I want to know that the stuff I'm going to be using is the same type of stuff the shops use. Plus I want to make sure that even if I do it the correct way that this stuff is going to turn out good. I don't want to spend a few hours prepping and then painting, just to have it come out looking like a Maaco $249 special

I agree with this, to tell you the truth, we were still beginners at painting (probably still are) and if you don't have the right type of spray gun and no experience, you can easily end up with a job possibly worse than the cheapest Maaco...
Below we oversprayed the paint a bit (might have been the paint gun) - which led to heavy orange peel and a lot of rubbing compound to try to get rid of it... but i'd say it turned out okay...

These were from before when my crazy ex girlfriend decided to use a razor blade on my 92's rear bumper...

After

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I used sherwin williams paint and clear on my car, this is the best pic I could find on my phone that actually shows the shine. This is straight from the spray gun, no compound or sanding done.

p1864715_1.jpg

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
you can also try to find an Oreilly auto parts store locally. IF there is one out there.
If you find one ask for the oreilly paint store in the district. Not ALL of the oreilly stores mix paint, you have to go to one that does mix paint.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
91Supra313;1864635 said:
Wondering the same thing. If I can get all the supplies before heading to the paint shop, maybe it will cut the cost drastically.
I would highly warn against this. Painters are use to using their specific products, a good deal of them would likely shoot you down if you brought in your own paint. At the very least they likely wont guarantee the finish.

A quality paint shop will use quality paint, they're in the business of making sure they don't have people coming back with issues. They also buy their paint in much larger quantities so you likely wont be able to buy a paint over the counter of that quality cheaper.

If you intend on just doing the prep work yourself make sure to talk to the paint shop you have selected as well to ask them what grit of paper they want you to go up to before you bring it to them, what primers and fillers to use and not use etc.

Best of luck,
Dan.