Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
Hows it going?
I havent read through this whole Thread, however, I have an issue with my set up. I bought the car last year. It's an 89 turbo. The previous owner put MKIV wheels on with twin turbo brake set up. The suspension is H&R springs with KYB struts. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left, the tire jams on the springs i believe. The front wheels also seem to be 1.5" more towards the hub than any other 89 with twin turbo wheels I've seen. Ill try to post pic later. Please let me know what you guys think my problem is.

Last edited:

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
there are no wheel spacers on it. But I've know others guys that have had MKIV rims on MKIII's with no wheel spacers and they didnt look like mine. Could it be the TT brake setup changing the offset of the front wheels?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Pull off one of your front wheels and check the size on it. My car came with Mk4 TT 17x9.5's up front as well as in back. Because of where the suspension sat when I bought it, I couldn't steer to the locks because the wheels would hit what I'm assuming to be the A-arms... Might be what you're having trouble with.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Yes, this is likely. I tried 18x9.5, 35mm offset up front before, and they were hitting the A-arms. So, you know the 50mm offsets won't work. Use some 25-30mm spacers, (and use a 235-245 series tire) and you should be okay. Just make sure you do the same spacers in the rear, or you will end up with a bad handling car, that doesn't look right!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, I run 17x9.5, +50 all around with 275/40's on all four corners during the summer... looks good, handles good, my only gripe whatsoever is the pickup truck-like turning radius. Might not work for guys who like to drive sideways everywhere they go, but for a road race setup, it works just fine. :)

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
18x8.5+35 & 18x9.5+35 w/ 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 tires

Well I saw these several times, and love the look. I was just wondering (sorry if its already been covered lots of times), if this will require any fender rolling/adjustment? My car isnt going to be slammed. but lowered.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I am also looking at these, http://www.tswalloywheels.com/alloy_wheels_snetterton.php
I dont know the offset or if they will even fit, (forgive me im a total newb at wheel fitment)

Then I am Also looking at these, but in the fitment i posted above
They are the BBS RS-GT
http://www.digitalsimple.com/TheMCoupeProject/10.06 BBS RS-GTs/bbs_rs_gt_db_ci3_l.jpg

Do you think either of these wheels will fit? Opinions on my choice ? LOL Im just tossing out ideas here, and am always open to suggestions.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Cool thanks! I am really leaning towards the snettertons that I posted a link to, but as you may have noticed they Only have the rim in 8" rather than 8.5" What would be a better offset, to make it look the same as if I were to use a 8.5" wheel? Would this still provide good performance characteristics with a 245 size tire? Thanks for all the help

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hmm well based on my calculations, (google) LOL a half of an inch difference in width would be 12.7mm so would a offset of 47 retain the same look as a 8.5" wheel with a 35 mm offset?
Or am I completely offbased? Because that number seems like too large of a difference. Not sure though, can anyone steer my in the right direction?

Last edited:

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
A 245 is too much tyre on an 8. You wouldn't want more than a 235. Offset depends on what look you want, you could go right down to +20 and still be fine and that would fill the guard nicely. Google wheel offset calculators and you can compare widths and offsets of different wheels and the calc will tell you the difference between inner and outer clearances of the wheel.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

BigKO;1522729 said:
Hmm well based on my calculations, (google) LOL a half of an inch difference in width would be 12.7mm so would a offset of 47 retain the same look as a 8.5" wheel with a 35 mm offset?
Or am I completely offbased? Because that number seems like too large of a difference. Not sure though, can anyone steer my in the right direction?

You're on the right track but you have to subtract not add of you want the wheel to sit out further. So you'd need an offset of 22.3mm which is pretty close to my guess of 20 :p. Of course the inner clearance between the two will be different (you'll have more inner clearance with the 8inch wheel (not that it's relevant in this case because inner clearance won't be an issue with either wheel

MacDaddy_J_420

I heart SM
Sep 5, 2007
Dalton, GA
Well I just purchased me a set of wheels and I am trying to determine what tire sizes to run. The specs on the wheels are :
Front 18x8.5 +35
Rear 18x9.5 +35

I was thinking for the front some where between 225-245/40/R18 and the rear 245-265/35-40/R18

Trying to decide which size looks best, also later on down the line I might do a spacer to get some flush-ness going on.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
^^^ those widths and offsets wont fill the gaurds on their own so i'd be going for as much tyre as appropriate in order to fill them out (and you'll have the advantage of more grip as well).

245/40 on the front and 265/35 on the back should be spot on.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah the only reason I was wondering is because the wheels im strongly looking at only come in 8" and then jump up to 9.5. I wonder if they could make or possibly carry a wheel of that size but just aren't listing it for some reason. I am strongly leaning towards the TSW Snettertons that I posted. Does anyone know weights or the quality of that wheel ? Id like to know before I make any kind of investment.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
spiller;1522762 said:
A 245 is too much tyre on an 8. You wouldn't want more than a 235.

I disagree, based on the fact that a Mk2 with stock P-types looks gorgeous with 245's on it, and they're only a 7" width, last I checked. :)

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
BigKO;1524186 said:
Yeah the only reason I was wondering is because the wheels im strongly looking at only come in 8" and then jump up to 9.5. I wonder if they could make or possibly carry a wheel of that size but just aren't listing it for some reason. I am strongly leaning towards the TSW Snettertons that I posted. Does anyone know weights or the quality of that wheel ? Id like to know before I make any kind of investment.

Junk... throwing money away is not an investment. There are much better new and used wheel options around that price range.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Ok, Is there any reason why you say that they are junk? I only ask so that I can make some better choices next time. I am fond of the BBS wheels that I mentioned earlier as well. How are those?

kcheng

mkii 7mgte
Nov 22, 2005
bby, bc
te72;1524274 said:
I disagree, based on the fact that a Mk2 with stock P-types looks gorgeous with 245's on it, and they're only a 7" width, last I checked. :)

instead of using a tire why dont u put a ballon on there instead cuz thats exactly what it looks like lol