whats under the hump in the spare tire well

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
Anyone know if there is anything under the hump/bulge in the spare tire well ?

Id like to flatten it down some to make some additional room there but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you cant do that becuase there is something under there that would get damaged.

Anyone know for sure ?

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
So there is nothing under there except the tank itself ?

IE -- I could cut it out and weld a flat peice in its place ?

I thought for sure I had read there was something under the raised portion.

Jtsan

Jul 10, 2011
Brockton MA
Nope nothing under that hump but the tank. Mine has rotted out and I can literally touch my tank. I plan to fix the rust and weld in a piece of flat metal there as well.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
ma70undercarriage2.jpg

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
If you can do it without damaging the fuel lines, you should drop the tank before you weld and cut the above metal. If you can't disconnect the lines I found that you can drop the tank a little bit and temporarily hang it lower.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
ms0072;1841542 said:
Sounds like im good to go

Thanks to all who responded -- appreciate it.
can you update us with some photos when you are done? I'm just wanting to see how things came out as I've had a rust issue with a small hole in that exact spot. The leaking is fixed but the damage is done.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I pounded mine as flat as I could in a hurry with a small hammer/mallet, but for the life of me... can't remember why I did it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Seems like something that would be done for a subwoofer enclosure. If that's the case, then I'd probably recommend some additional bracing with the replacement flat panel.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Dan_Gyoba;1841627 said:
Seems like something that would be done for a subwoofer enclosure. If that's the case, then I'd probably recommend some additional bracing with the replacement flat panel.
Or possibly a fuel cell, but that's probably not the case here.
-AM3