What's the worst car you've ever owned?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Hmm I hesitate to say this but it would have to be My 1968 Plymouth Valiant. I say this because it is the only non Toyota I have owned and the Toyota's were a 1980 pick up, 1992 Corolla, 1992 Supra, 2000 Solara and Now a fully loaded double cab 2006 Tacoma.

The Valiant only had three working brakes (blew a hard line and was to lazy to get it fixed), a master cylinder that was held together by a few zip ties. ( stripped the bolt holding the cover and messed up the tapping job, spent money to fix on beer ),and Window tint on three of the windows. This car is what we in the CDP field call a addicts special. Donated this car to a church and gave up driving till I got clean a few years later. The first Toyota was a pile by most standards, but it was my first Clean and Sober car and it was awesome after years of walking and city bus lines..the Corolla was nice on the inside and the paint was bad. The Supra...well it is a Supra. the Solara was a girls car and the Truck is AWESOME.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
mattsplat72;1607390 said:
Hmm I hesitate to say this but it would have to be My 1968 Plymouth Valiant. I say this because it is the only non Toyota I have owned and the Toyota's were a 1980 pick up, 1992 Corolla, 1992 Supra, 2000 Solara and Now a fully loaded double cab 2006 Tacoma.

The Valiant only had three working brakes (blew a hard line and was to lazy to get it fixed), a master cylinder that was held together by a few zip ties. ( stripped the bolt holding the cover and messed up the tapping job, spent money to fix on beer ),and Window tint on three of the windows. This car is what we in the CDP field call a addicts special. Donated this car to a church and gave up driving till I got clean a few years later. The first Toyota was a pile by most standards, but it was my first Clean and Sober car and it was awesome after years of walking and city bus lines..the Corolla was nice on the inside and the paint was bad. The Supra...well it is a Supra. the Solara was a girls car and the Truck is AWESOME.

LoL! Funny because 1 of the 2 cars on my "worst car ever" list was a 1964 Valiant 2 door signet coupe. Had a crack running the length of the slant 6 in it. The push button transmission spring broke one year and I couldn't put it in any gear till I jury rigged a new spring. Bought it with bald tires, one went flat so I bought a new tire for it... Not realizing on a solid rear end you didn't want differing sized tires (bald vs new was big). Rear end locked up on me driving down the road and spun me around. Replaced it with a rear end from a 64 Dodge Dart scrap car. Put the shocks in from the dodge too because sadly, they were in better shape.

My FIRST car was a 1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback with a straight 6. We timed it once, took 30 seconds to get to 30 mph on a flat piece of road. Got tired of it and jumped it across a set of railroad tracks near where I lived at about 90mph (was at the bottom of the hill, fastest that car ever went). Stripped the tranny hard line on the bottom because it bottomed out about 3 times bouncing down the road. Duct taped the line together and put a couple bottles of tranny fluid. Drove it for about another month and it finally died on me. Was a fun first "Beater" car. Didn't care what I did to it so really beat on it hard.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Close call between a VW fastback that liked to do 360 degree spins on random corners. And a Holden HQ ute that didn't have a working temp or fuel gauge. It chewed lots of fuel and one day caught fire while i was on a job site, lucky the bricklayer had a shovel and some sand to save it. lol

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I have yet to have a vehicle that has been truly reliable - everyone says it me that destroys them but I like to think of it as bad luck. Haha.... but for the sake of this thread - I will list the absolute worst one I had... and surprisingly, I am not going to say that it was my Supra...

It was actually a 96 Plymouth Breeze. Without going into too much detail, the thing was a real piece of shit, good thing I got it for free.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
briggsy;1607255 said:
The worst car i have ever owned was a 1991 holden commodore.

It was an absolute piece of shit.

The worst points
- did not handle everytime you turned a corner it felt like it was going to roll
- the engine, it had the buick V6 that should just about sum it up
- the fine engineers at holden decided that hey " lets put 185/75/14 tyres on a large family car.
- the AC didnt have a drain port for the water to drain out side the car instead it would end up on your feet when you turned a corner.
- it was blue

the good point was it saved our lives when the little one came along unexpected, it cost me a case of beer to purchase, and it was reliable.

I feel your Pain. Those GM V6 motors are the worst desinged enignes Ive ever seen. They get terrible gas mileage and make the same amout of power as a 4 cylinder.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
87mk111;1607831 said:
I feel your Pain. Those GM V6 motors are the worst desinged enignes Ive ever seen. They get terrible gas mileage and make the same amout of power as a 4 cylinder.

The 4.3 V6 is a damn good engine, most of the others are SHIT...

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
theres two cars that didnt get along with me. my first car i bought when i was 16 for 400 bucks front brakes locked up on my way home drove it for year then the engine locked up found out it ran out of oil poured a few quarts in let it sit for a few weeks fired it ran okish. sold it that day for 300 plus a 91 eclipse 1.8 auto. i never really drove it but in town ocansionally tried to drive it an hour drive and the transmission locked up doin 70 down the highway. that was scary shit go from 70 to stopped was like hitting a brick wall that didnt give.
the supra its more of a love/hate relationship its always fired up when i needed it, just occasionally not started.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
my worse car was also the car i had least time with, purchased an 88 Prelude 4WS, tire went on me from dry rot the next day ripped the fender and hood apart along with a bunch of wires. 3 days after owning, clutch pedal went to floor and didnt come up, day 5 what ever they put in the engine stopped working showing signs that all the rings were bad as I burnt 3 qts of oil in 1 hr!. I ended up getting my money back from the mechanic that sold it to me.

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
My '77 VW Bus, lol. Even having the bigger 2 liter motor they put in them towards the end of their production, very underpowered, esp. since they're aircooled. Not only do you have to worry about maintaining the speed limit on the freeway, you gotta deal with the wind blowing you(basically a tin can, lol)all over, and the funky double torsion beam suspension making it feel more like a sailing expedition, lol. Took me so long to get it running right that now I don't want to sell it... it's like an afflicition really, well that and I know no one would want to buy it's haggard rusty ass, lol.
I remember that with all four independent(like a motorcycle)(finned)cylinders, camshaft and crankshaft removed, I was able to easily carry the aluminum block to the bus stop to get the journals measured for new bearings. Weighs only like 2900 lbs, no timing chain or belt to worry about because the cam runs off a gear on the crank. No having to worry about a power steering pump/rack, waterpump, radiator, hoses, A/C, O2 sensor... But it just doesn't know what kind of vehicle it wants to be, kind of a freak. Then there's the stereo-typing you have to deal with, and the "I remember when..." guys...

Next time something major goes...it's gone. Won't miss trying to figure out which access hatch I'm going to contort myself through to fix the engine! lol It's fun though seeing the look on peoples faces sometimes when they see that I actually got one running well enough to deliver pizzas in, lol(our mild climate helps I think). I can only deliver in it Friday or Saturday because the motor is so freakin' loud, lol. Being so hollow to allow air to flow through the heads and cylinders, you can hear everything, and then there's the oldschool non-hydraulic lifters clacking away...

Last edited:

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
My worst was a 72 Chevy Nova 2dr hardtop with a 307 and a 4 speed. Not a straight panel on it, 4 wheel drum brakes, and the turning radius of the Saratoga (thus it's nickname). got about 6 MPG and was slower than my friends civic. It had holes in the floor boards on both sides, and at some point in it's miserable life had gallons of oil spilled in the back seat "area". Drove it for a while, and then parked it in front of my parents house. Got a call from my mom one day that a kid was waiting for me to come over so he could buy it. Guy asked me what I wanted for it, and I told him "make me an offer"- his initial offer was 2000$- so I took it, and made 1500 on the turd.

To his credit, It's actually a nice car now, kind of a pro touring look, with a 502.

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Tango_hotel;1608797 said:
My worst was a 72 Chevy Nova 2dr hardtop with a 307 and a 4 speed. Not a straight panel on it, 4 wheel drum brakes, and the turning radius of the Saratoga (thus it's nickname). got about 6 MPG and was slower than my friends civic. It had holes in the floor boards on both sides, and at some point in it's miserable life had gallons of oil spilled in the back seat "area". Drove it for a while, and then parked it in front of my parents house. Got a call from my mom one day that a kid was waiting for me to come over so he could buy it. Guy asked me what I wanted for it, and I told him "make me an offer"- his initial offer was 2000$- so I took it, and made 1500 on the turd.

To his credit, It's actually a nice car now, kind of a pro touring look, with a 502.

i like how cars we think are junk other people will pay to have it. more then what you think its worth