Whats the stupidest thing you have done to your supra?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
^^^ my wife keeps reminding me that for the money I could have a "better" car. The only way I agree with her is that you can only fit 2 people in this beast (comfortably) and I look at it more than I drive it...
(A rust free car is not normal in Canada)

The stupidest thing I probably did was to buy a car to fix myself (forgetting that I am not 18 anymore) and then paying for other people to do it for me... And doing the rear quarters twice because I couldn't afford to paint the first time...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Like I said, "better" is subjective. The only "nicer" car I've ever been in than a well maintained Supra is the LS400 I picked up. You want nicer than an 80's Toyota GT flagship in a modern car, you're going to spend a lot more than what you're spending on the Supra... at least to have nice AND interesting. That last part was what always got me with new cars. They're mostly all nice, but as interesting as a toaster.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Nick M;2065734 said:
The dumbest thing I did was let Mrs M drive it.

Tried that once as well..............................Not the car to teach her to drive a stick on.

Mine, is just underestimating my goals every time I overhaul something on it..........................and underestimating the how long any of these 'projects' are going to take.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Zazzn;2065787 said:
Put solid motor mounts in, and keep the 7m as long as I did.
I have the impression solid motor mounts are just a way to get more vibration for the sake of more vibration. Like, "my car needs to be a little less comfortable. Perhaps solid motor mounts will do the trick!"

Is that sort of your experience with them?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
suprarx7nut;2065802 said:
I have the impression solid motor mounts are just a way to get more vibration for the sake of more vibration. Like, "my car needs to be a little less comfortable. Perhaps solid motor mounts will do the trick!"

Bahaha, these are my exact thoughts with them.

I rode in a friend's Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V with solid motor mounts and BC coilovers set to maximum stiff. It was one of the worst automotive experiences I've ever been a part of.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Absolutely... Worst shit ever.

I went back and did something dumb. I bought another supra and i'm keeping it 7m lol.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
HHAHA just did this on my 91 and just ordered a shit load of parts for my sc300 why did a simple piston and rod turn in to a full 3.4 stroker when I don't even have my first supra fully running....

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
- Using MAF cleaner on the AFM and destroying it but to be fair it was before the warning was put on the back "not to use on Turbo Supra"

- Back in high school I just wanted to get the Supra running for my senior year so I slapped a cheap head gasket on with no copper seals round the cooling ports. It lasted for less than 20 miles and leaked coolant all over the place.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
toook a perfectly running Supra in original condition and tore it apart to seek more power,.. how dumb!!, but on the positive side, I get to chat with Supramania, and yes you guys get a PITA to deal with,:evil2:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
On the subject of solid mounts, I've had solid engine mounts for 8 years now, and honestly... never really noticed any undue vibration? Granted, I'm running a 1j, a very short stroke engine to begin with, and I daily drive a Miata most of the time. Those little roadsters vibrate as part of the design.

Stupidest thing I've done to my Supra in recent years? Allowed someone else to assemble my engine after the machine work was done. My wallet still hurts, and it isn't any sort of work I couldn't have done at home.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Allowed mission creep to have its way with me to no end, to then find that it wasn't worth it considering the situation.
To explain it better:
Had a good running 88 with all the features that I wanted, other than the 89+ styling! The perfect car for me, but it had an intermittent head gasket leak.

So a head gasket was the thing to do, then I heard, mill the head, do a valve job too, and since you are doing that, rebuild the block so that the block can keep up with the head (you don't want one end stronger than the other).
And the voice in my head said, since you are doing that and the car will be like new again, repaint it too, and since we're repainting it, this is the time to get the 89+ styled parts now.

So everything was apart.

Then I discovered that the strut towers had too much rust for this car to be a good candidate for all this work.
Then I discovered a crack in the block, a crack in the turbo housing, and the head to be out of spec according to the service manual (which was wrong).

The wisdom I obtained is to know a little better when to leave things alone and to think more like a surgeon that wants not to be any more invasive than necessary.