What's the latest in suspension tech?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I need to overhaul the suspension on my 90 MKIII. It currently has the Eibach lowering springs and Tokico shocks. They've been on there who-knows-how-long. I haven't found much talk on the latest options for suspension, so I thought I would post and see what people are doing nowadays. Keep in mind this car is not a track car. No plans to go there. I don't really want my teeth rattled out of my head with a rough ride. But I want some good cornering, especially with the top out. And I want the car to stay lowered. Since I am replacing these parts, what other parts do I need to swap out while I'm doing the suspension?

thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
If you have TEMs and like it, perhaps the new offerings from Tein coupled with the EDFC will give you a very nice ride. I currently have Tein Flex Z coilovers that I plan on installing tomorrow. I will let you know how they ride.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I had Tein Street? coilovers on my car before I traded it in, and I loved them. Took it to a track day about a month before it went away. Granted it was my first track day, but they seemed to handle the roughness of the track rather well.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I also have the Tein Street Advance.

Despite the "Street" name and the seemingly low spring rates ("only" 16K front and 9K rear) they do ride like a track suspension though. They are a lot stiffer than a Bilstein/tokico/koni and eibach spring combo. If you value comfort at all stay away from coilovers unless you are having them custom valved and built with something reasonable like 10K/6K springs (Tein will do this though, for a price). The Tein SA are a great coilover though if you have smooth roads to drive on and you never have to enter a steep driveway (you'll end up lifting a wheel). I suppose they call them a street coilover because they won't turn you to Jello as quickly as a real track coilover will. I like them just enough to keep them on the car and not tear them off for something else, but I wouldn't do them again on a street car.

Best off the shelf street suspension IMO, is a set of Bilsteins or Tokicos with Eibach springs and a pair of upgraded swaybars. I like the Godspeed bar set because it's priced right and works well for me. I had the Godspeed bars on with my koni/spring setup and with the Teins and they work well with both.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
The Tein Flex coilovers are installed and on the softest setting it is a pretty compliant ride. Even my old man who is 70yrs old didnt mind the ride. I really want the EDFC so I can control the dampening from the cabin.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Looking at Tein's site the Flex coilovers have a lot more reasonable spring rates for the street. They're listing those at 12K front 6K rear (14K front on the Flex Z) which sounds about perfect.

I forget sometimes that my car is on the lightweight side of the supra weight spectrum so the Street Advance 16K/9K springs on mine will ride like a full weight 3700 pound supra with 18K/12K springs.

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Does anyone know what the spring rates are on the Eibach springs? So that someone could compare apples to apples? I have Eibachs on the car now, but am considering some coilovers. I can't seem to find the spring specs anywhere. The car needs new bushings all around, and might as well look at whether coilovers might be a better option for a street only daily driver - particularly for ride height adjustment. Thanks for any input.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Here's a more up-to-date list of spring info.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/th...ings-Options?p=2026035&viewfull=1#post2026035

A better question is: what are your goals with the car?

edit: I just re-read what your goals are. The best dampers by a large margin are Koni shocks. Do yourself a favor and get those, paired with whatever lowering springs lower the amount that you want. (Or get the Koni/GC combo I suggested earlier)

Last edited: