What's the best HG these days?

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got a local guy 86.5 7MGE n/a Supra, beginning to get signs of BHG.

I did a HKS MHG back in the day on my boosted builds, but this is just a basic repair low budget.

Just wondering what is the best gasket to toss in, I know some new options in MLS and etc have come out since I ended my 7M days. He was just going to pick up a Victor cylinder head set, but if I can steer him to a better gasket and some ARP's that would help.

Thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
garagefujimoto;1114146 said:
but this is just a basic repair low budget.

The HKS stopper is the best, but most expensive and will require machine work to the block/head decks to achive the RA spec required for that MHG.

I like good ole Toyota OEM...torqued down correctly, it will serve him well. And, still fit in a budget ;)

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
i have to say ive seen an hks stopper and its beasty(but a tad on the spendy side). i was on a budget when i did mine so i used the titan motorsports headgasket and arp's. no problems so far.:icon_bigg

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
I like good ole Toyota OEM...torqued down correctly, it will serve him well. And, still fit in a budget

i would agree with jdub. even though he did ask which is the BEST, but in his case the stocker install with some care will serve him well. just make sure the head isn't warped. i'm running one now and i beat the piss out of my 7mgte.

btw i used a felpro hg kit and used the hg from it. arp bolts of course too. that was around feb. i wanted my car fixed right away. since then i have swaped the motor to my new supra and it still runs strong with more that 50 passes at the drags. for all that hate on the stock hg.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The original torque value for the HG was/is the problem. Torque a stock HG to 70-75 ft/lbs and you will have no problem.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
OP aseked what would be the best gasket for the basic rebuild NA, and I would say a felpro or oem gasket myself. metal gasket is a waste of time and money on a NA.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
LOL /\/\/\

Stock HG, stock torque. I guess you could torque it more for shits n gigs, but both times i have seen BHG on a n/a where from sever neglect from the owner. I mean sever, for instance that he didn't change his thermostat for 3 months and drove it daily in the winter... then once fixed (5 min to fix) drove it like he stole it from a rental place next to the autobahn. Also he used 87+ in the summer, you could hear detonation @ over 6K on hot days... yeah he was a moron, but it still took 20K of his driving to kill it. The engine had 180K with a maintenance record before he bought it (never had a HG job).

Not saying you can't run 87+... you could, when your not racing the thing. That's why it recommends 91 but you could use 87. IMO you get very little detonation with 87 in "hard driving", and only around 6k on hot days is it CLEARLY noticeable lol

Busted out the old owners manual from my old 89 N/A for this one.

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
suprarich;1115451 said:
OP aseked what would be the best gasket for the basic rebuild NA, and I would say a felpro or oem gasket myself. metal gasket is a waste of time and money on a NA.

I second that. It´s indeed a waste of money. Clean and machine the head and get the Toyota stock HG. You/he´ll be fine with the Toyo one.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
He didn't ask what's the best budget, best non waste of money, best tight arse option.. he asked which is the best gasket.....

He might be running 14:1 compression or a 200 shot of N20, I'm not going to assume it's a budget n/a build up when he asked "What's the best HG these days?"

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
garagefujimoto;1114146 said:
Got a local guy 86.5 7MGE n/a Supra, beginning to get signs of BHG.

I did a HKS MHG back in the day on my boosted builds, but this is just a basic repair low budget.

Just wondering what is the best gasket to toss in, I know some new options in MLS and etc have come out since I ended my 7M days. He was just going to pick up a Victor cylinder head set, but if I can steer him to a better gasket and some ARP's that would help.

Thanks

This is why I answered the way I did. The title is deceiving as to what he's really looking for.

NeatOman;1115562 said:
LOL /\/\/\ Stock HG, stock torque.

NA or not, I would not use stock torque on the head bolts...70-75 ft/lbs for OEM, ARP spec if used.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jdub;1115667 said:
This is why I answered the way I did. The title is deceiving as to what he's really looking for.

NA or not, I would not use stock torque on the head bolts...70-75 ft/lbs for OEM, ARP spec if used.

there is a Toyota TSB where it actually calls for the correct torquing of 72 lb/ft for the 12mm x 1.25 pitch bolts.

Personally I freaking hate the allen head bolts. I managed to strip one (out of the freaking 14 and it happened to be the last one) and that sucked getting it out.