what's an alcoholic??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism

Alcoholism, also known as alcohol dependence, is a disease that includes the following four symptoms:

Craving—A strong need, or urge, to drink.

Loss of control—Not being able to stop drinking once drinking has begun.

Physical dependence—Withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety after stopping drinking.

Tolerance—The need to drink greater amounts of alcohol to get "high."

For clinical and research purposes, formal diagnostic criteria for alcoholism also have been developed. Such criteria are included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, published by the American Psychiatric Association, as well as in the International Classification Diseases, published by the World Health Organization.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
jdub delivers a good definition of alcoholic.

if you can be an alcoholic (as defined above) and still lead a productive and otherwise uninterupted life than you are a functional alcoholic.

If being an alcoholic impairs your abilility to perform other activities and responsibilities (such as going to work, or paying bills, having healthy friendships and relationships, getting out of bed, exc.) then you are also a drunk.

Either way, if your an alcoholic, you need to acknowledge that you drink to much. You may want to just try to cut back (only drink socially, stop before you have had too much, attend less alcholic events exc.) if you find this too difficult you should seek professional help and quit drinking alltogether.

Understand that changing your drinking habits may require changes in your lifestyle, social pattens and sometimes even your friends. Just remember your doing what is best for you and your true friends will support you in you effort to better yourself.

Long run your body will thank you and you will feel better, and live longer.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I'm sorry guys.. I'm fucking up bad... Jdub... You nailed the it... And it defines me.... Stress became a simple drink away of being ok.. Dear god how did I become this... LOL continue with opinions please

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First - If you realize it, that is step 1.

Second - Get help...it is extraordinarily difficult to stop this on your own.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you can't completely STOP drinking for a few weeks, I'd say you're an alcoholic. More than two drinks a day, everyday is a good indicator, IMO.

Mk3runner: Get some help. No smilies, no "lol". Get some help before it destroys your life. Life is far too special to waste on a drug dependence.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
My Father.

Last time i saw him on a cordial basis, he drank 4 bottles of wine in a 2 hour period, then sat down with another bottle by the TV, and after ploughing through that, had a 'few' beers before rolling into bed in his underpants.

:nono:

I'm glad i kicked the shit out of him in the end.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I had a tread on this... My DUI.. I went first time today.. They say the same you guys have... I don't wanna single this on me tho.. I know there's others.. My poor ass threads tho... I been making custom exhaust.... Damn what aood feeling.. This ain't no sob shit... Just wannakniw opinion....

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I am a Chemical Dependency Professional . Do you really want to know? Jdub had a good start, But that is not nearly enough information to make a diag. If you really want to know call a treatment center and ask to set and appoitment for a Assessment. You will be asked a series of questions that are intended to get to the center of the issues. They will make a determination on your diag and establish you needed level of care.

Level .5 is ADIS alcohol/drug info school
level 1 is outpatient treatment
level 2.1 is intensive outpatient or IOP
level 2.5 is Partial hospitalization
level 3.1 is Clinically Managed low intensity residential
level 3.3 is Medium intensity
level 3.5 High intensity medically managed
level 3.7 Medically monitered intensive inpatient
level 4.0 medically managed inpatient

Sourced form ASAM ( american society of addictive medicine) PPC ( patient placment criteria) 2R manual
http://www.asam.org/ http://www.asam.org/PatientPlacementCriteria.html
For More info http://www.dsmivtr.org/
Look up the DSM iv tr turn to page 214 ,213 and look up 305.00 Alcohol Abuse and 303.90 Alcohol Dependence

also goto
SAMSHA federal substance abuse and mental health services website
http://www.treatmentcenters.org/california/

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I was going to post a flippant comment here but this is far too serious a subject to fuck around with, if you think you have a problem ask for help BEFORE it destroys your life and that of those around you.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
If you're worried about IF others would consider you an alcoholic,chances are you think yourself that you may have a problem,and are just looking for acceptance.
Like previous post said,go get an assessment,attend some classes,or even go attend a couple AA meetings.
I am currently attending classes for a drug addiction,(for most of my life weed came before ANYTHING else,and it took me over ten years of trying to finally quit) and they do help a lot.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
This started this morning when I went to my first DUI deal.... It hurt.. Then my family bs went insane and here I am.. Drunk for no reason.. I'm sorry for this thread.. I was trying to stay neutral on this.... So much for that.. I feel like a sm town drunk.....

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
My mom.

I'm one of those who refuses to believe that alcoholism is a disease. It's an addiction.

An alcoholic can wake up and say "You know, I'm not going to have a drink today."

A person with AIDS cannot wake up and say "You know, I'm not going to have AIDS today."