What would your 1st hand gun be?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Your first gun shouldn't be one to compensate for the size of your pe...

Nevermind.

The raging bull looks cool, but isn't much of a functional gun outside of the range.

Shoot a few, see what feels best. Nevermind how it looks, pay attention to how comfortable it fits your hand, how accurately you can shoot a target, how natural it feels, etc... My first gun was a Sig P239 in .40 cal and it wasn't bad, but I've shot many others that suit me much better. The Sig was harsh and had LOADS of recoil compared to many other 40 and 45s I've used. My next purchase will be much more carefully chosen than that Sig was.

It's tough to say what a good first gun is for anyone, but I'd advise against something like the Raging Bull or The Judge. Something simple like a 1911, S&W M&P, most Glock, Sigs or a classic revolver.

There's a great range in my area that does rental guns for a small fee ($20). That allows you to try a huge selection from .22, up to .45's in everything from long barrel revolvers to compact semi-autos. Whatever you do please dont buy your first gun cuz it looks mean and cool. You'll look much cooler even with a "futuristic" .22 if you can handle it well and hit your targets dead on every time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprarx7nut got it on the head. A gun has to suit you. If it doesn't, you might as well be carrying around firecrackers for all the more useful it might be...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Taurus isn't exactly known for their quality...

Not to mention that a gun like that doesn't serve much of function besides an expensive range toy.

(also, it's Five-Se7en not 5-7, and it's yet again a very VERY expensive gun...)

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I think you should define what your goals are.
1. How much do you have to spend?
2. Are you going to use the pistol for practice, or will it pull double duty as a home defense weapon?
3. Do you have experience with firearms in general?

Because your location is listed as California, I'll assume that concealed carry is of the table. If you just want something to practice with, buy a .22. The browning buckmark is nice, as is the Ruger series. My brother has a beretta Neos, which has performed well.
I would stay away from magnums at first, mostly because ammo is expensive which makes consistent practice difficult. If you want a pistol that is going to pull double duty, I would look for a semi-auto in 9-40-45. Because Cali has magazine restrictions, I would lean towards something in .45. The S&W semi-autos like the 4506 are easy to find used, and because they don't have "urban appeal" are usually cheaper. Glocks and M&P are good to go, or a 1911 in a full size configuration will work just fine, provided that you practice the manual of arms consistently. Revolvers are Ok for a first pistol, but the MOA is more complex, and it takes practice to get good with a speed loader or strip under time pressure (Jerry Miculek notwithstanding). Stay away from Kel-tecs and hi-points.

The big mistake I made with my first pistol was that I couldn't afford to feed it- and because it was a magnum revolver, I developed a nasty flinch that took a lot of practice to eliminate.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Well truthfully it depends on how much you want to spend. Taurus isn't the best in the quality department. I ended up getting a Springfield xdm .45, my brother got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag. When you buy your gun, be sure you can afford the bullets. If you are looking for affordability then neither of these rounds would be a good choice. Best of luck on your search.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Might want to look at a Sig. P226--MK25--9MM. My son just got one for his first gun, it's nice and affordable to shoot. I actually like it more than the XDM.
If you really want a magnum revolver look around for a Colt Python--357M. That pistol is a class act.
My favorite overall is a 1911. Again Sig. makes some nice ones as does Kimber, and you could look at Les Baer.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Tango_hotel;1851498 said:
I think you should define what your goals are.
1. How much do you have to spend?
2. Are you going to use the pistol for practice, or will it pull double duty as a home defense weapon?
3. Do you have experience with firearms in general?

Because your location is listed as California, I'll assume that concealed carry is of the table. If you just want something to practice with, buy a .22. The browning buckmark is nice, as is the Ruger series. My brother has a beretta Neos, which has performed well.
I would stay away from magnums at first, mostly because ammo is expensive which makes consistent practice difficult. If you want a pistol that is going to pull double duty, I would look for a semi-auto in 9-40-45. Because Cali has magazine restrictions, I would lean towards something in .45. The S&W semi-autos like the 4506 are easy to find used, and because they don't have "urban appeal" are usually cheaper. Glocks and M&P are good to go, or a 1911 in a full size configuration will work just fine, provided that you practice the manual of arms consistently. Revolvers are Ok for a first pistol, but the MOA is more complex, and it takes practice to get good with a speed loader or strip under time pressure (Jerry Miculek notwithstanding). Stay away from Kel-tecs and hi-points.

The big mistake I made with my first pistol was that I couldn't afford to feed it- and because it was a magnum revolver, I developed a nasty flinch that took a lot of practice to eliminate.

There's nothing wrong with kel-tecs...

SWD Fredester 3;1851655 said:
Might want to look at a Sig. P226--MK25--9MM. My son just got one for his first gun, it's nice and affordable to shoot. I actually like it more than the XDM.
If you really want a magnum revolver look around for a Colt Python--357M. That pistol is a class act.
My favorite overall is a 1911. Again Sig. makes some nice ones as does Kimber, and you could look at Les Baer.

Sig is a bit expensive for a first gun.

Sig makes a pretty expensive 1911. Kimber I don't recommend (they're NOT as good as they should be for the price), and Les Baer is far far too expensive...

I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them...

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Poodles;1851681 said:
There's nothing wrong with kel-tecs...

Sig is a bit expensive for a first gun.

Sig makes a pretty expensive 1911. Kimber I don't recommend (they're NOT as good as they should be for the price), and Les Baer is far far too expensive...

I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them...

I guess expensive is relative to what you're after. MK 25 is a little under $1100. but the P226 platform is very solid. When you get into the P226x5 or x6PPC then it gets expensive, but they are great rides.

I mentioned Kimber but I have to agree with you on price=quality.

I really like shooting a Les Baer, there is a difference.

As far as a revolver, a Colt Python, not as a first, not as a daily--but fun to shoot and good to collect.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MkIII FTW;1851554 said:
Well truthfully it depends on how much you want to spend. Taurus isn't the best in the quality department. I ended up getting a Springfield xdm .45, my brother got a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag. When you buy your gun, be sure you can afford the bullets. If you are looking for affordability then neither of these rounds would be a good choice. Best of luck on your search.
Shot a Super RH here at the range, the owner was a bit of a meathead and used to blast away at Chinese food containers scattered around the range, you only had to get within a few inches and the container jumped in the air carried up by the dirt....

I had broken my middle finger on my left hand so had trouble with my grip but still got an amazing group on my target, oddly I'm a bit crap when using a .22...

Same day a Rabbit ran across all 15 Bays of the range... EVERYONE unloaded everything they had..... and missed :D

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IJ.;1851715 said:
Shot a Super RH here at the range, the owner was a bit of a meathead and used to blast away at Chinese food containers scattered around the range, you only had to get within a few inches and the container jumped in the air carried up by the dirt....

I had broken my middle finger on my left hand so had trouble with my grip but still got an amazing group on my target, oddly I'm a bit crap when using a .22...

Same day a Rabbit ran across all 15 Bays of the range... EVERYONE unloaded everything they had..... and missed :D

Didn't know you had rabbits in Au. The joys of shooting outside, but rabbits with a 44mag.? You left handed?

If you ever get state side I have a S&W .22 model 41, 7"barrel compensated that you can go to school on.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Right handed Fred, Always shoot 2 handed with heavy loads ;)
(gumby version of a Weaver stance)

Almost didn't take the guy up on his offer because of the finger and the amount of pain it was causing, figured WTF when would I get another chance!!

I was shooting a .38 special when he opened up, entire range shook so I looked down the bays and it was like the scene in RoboCop... everyone stopped, went over for a chat and that's when he offered me the gun!

Shot a lot of .22 just don't seem to be as accurate as I am with larger calibers..

Used to go every second weekend with the ex GF's grandfather to the Military barracks near his place.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
IJ.;1851725 said:
Right handed Fred, Always shoot 2 handed with heavy loads ;)
(gumby version of a Weaver stance)

Almost didn't take the guy up on his offer because of the finger and the amount of pain it was causing, figured WTF when would I get another chance!!

I was shooting a .38 special when he opened up, entire range shook so I looked down the bays and it was like the scene in RoboCop... everyone stopped, went over for a chat and that's when he offered me the gun!

Shot a lot of .22 just don't seem to be as accurate as I am with larger calibers..

Used to go every second weekend with the ex GF's grandfather to the Military barracks near his place.

Only thing we used to shoot with a 44. was an old ice box behind a farm house back in Indiana--a long time ago.

These days been averaging about 3 days a week at an indoor range fairly close to home. My wife's new hobby along with racquet ball and aerobics. She is good! Doesn't like a 45. but handles her 9MM pistols very well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Much prefer an auto to a wheel gun, as the guys noted earlier in the thread it's all about finding the "right" gun and not buying something because it looks "cool"...

And it takes practice to get "good" if you can't afford to shoot you'll never be good so expensive ammo is out unless you're rich, a buddy had a 30.06 with a nice scope that had only ever been bore sighted cos he was too tight to tweak the scope... :nono: 5 rounds and it was done... tightass