What would your 1st hand gun be?

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Desert Eagle because it's bad-ass and cool. The name is terrifying. You wouldn't even need to take it anywhere, just limited edition T-shirt's advertising that you own one.
p1851745_1.jpg

Otherwise a 9mm Glock, Light weight for when I'm jacking dollar bills on foot, cops use them. Cheap I imagine.

p1851745_2.jpg

But the main argument for a Glock is because this guy has one and he looks like a solid dude.

p1851745_3.jpg

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^who needs a bedroom set with an arsenal like that to turn the women on... sexy time

would have to be something classy, timeless, reliable;

p1851747_1.jpg

1911 .45

because canadians cannot have the double stacks (my understanding...)

I38692.jpg

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
#04;1851747 said:
^who needs a bedroom set with an arsenal like that to turn the women on... sexy time
For a guy showcasing guns in his underpants he actually turned out to be really.............. dangerous. Strange, he looks so trustworthy, I guess I just can't see the signs.

Bet his Mom is 100lbs of ground meat in the freezer.

That gun above is BEAUTIFUL, You'd never want to use it. It's like jewelry. Unbelievable looks. Do you have any write up's on it, what it is, who made it, specs, etc...

#04;1851747 said:
because canadians cannot have the double stacks (my understanding...)
Not familiar with "Double Stacks". Do you mean a configuration of the DE?

Who's going to stop me if I have the Desert Eagle? I would love a replica of the gun hang it on the wall and look at it all day. I wonder what the weight is, heavy anyway. I wonder if I could lift it. I had heard that the DE Kick back isn't as bad as the gun would have you believe.

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Poodles;1851681 said:
There's nothing wrong with kel-tecs...

Sig is a bit expensive for a first gun.

Sig makes a pretty expensive 1911. Kimber I don't recommend (they're NOT as good as they should be for the price), and Les Baer is far far too expensive...

I also don't like revolvers for many reasons. There isn't any advantage to them and there's a hell of a lot of disadvantages to them...

My experience with kel-tec has been less than stellar, but it's only an opinion. I've shot several, they all had FTE and FTF problems, and they were finicky about ammo. I agree about revolvers, for a defensive gun they have a lot of drawbacks.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I have seen several people become quite proficient with wheel guns after training with the weapon. There may be a few drawback but non that can't be compensated for. But that's just my opinion.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Tango_hotel;1851853 said:
My experience with kel-tec has been less than stellar, but it's only an opinion. I've shot several, they all had FTE and FTF problems, and they were finicky about ammo. I agree about revolvers, for a defensive gun they have a lot of drawbacks.

About the only issues I've heard for kel-tec is actually getting the weapons (they can't seem to make enough) and they have odd setups that can cause issues (like accidently ejecting the mag because the button is in an odd spot).

T3rril79;1851930 said:
I have seen several people become quite proficient with wheel guns after training with the weapon. There may be a few drawback but non that can't be compensated for. But that's just my opinion.

Some people consider wheel guns more reliable. That was shot down way back in 1911... Main issues with revolvers in general are alignment issues with the cylinder and barrel, and the gap (they throw shit out the sides). Main issues for carry are thickness, capacity, and reloading.

Oh, and the Desert Eagle is a POS. Don't get me started on it...

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Poodles;1851981 said:

You sure know a lot about this stuff. I don't really know handguns at all.

The Desert Eagle just looks awesome cool. You don't have to get started.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
honeydew;1851849 said:
Not familiar with "Double Stacks".

Double stack refers to how many rounds the magazine carries. A 1911 carries seven rounds of .45acp in the magazine, but a double stack 1911 carries 14 rounds in the magazine. Thus, the grip will become much larger and fill the hand. Basically, any firearm magazine that doesn't carry its rounds straight up and down is considered a double stacked weapon. Rounds are staggered and numerous, lol.

Chose your first weapon to your lifestyle, body shape and wardrobe. You're going to have to dress around your firearm. This usually means a size or two larger pants and shirt. Don't expect to wear a tight pink polo with a popped collar. Be smart about it.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Agree w/those who've recommended to go play w/a few before deciding. I bought a VERY inexpensive 9mm, just to have around the house/car. Nothing I will miss tremendously if lost/stolen. Was in USMC for 10 years and am comfortable, but w/little kids would never have one in the house (seen too many accidents).

Anyways, really figure out what you want (practice, home defense, cool-guy-braggin', whatever). In my case, I found something for less than $200 (less than $150 online) that met my needs. I mentioned it on SF and got slammed by the aficionado/collectors. Took it to the range and put thru it's paces and not bad at all (250+ rounds with the recommended ammo = no issues... used non-recommended ammo and had 1 misfire... The bullet had a pin mark but did not fire. Put back in and fired the second time I tried it). Kinda heavy, but manageable.

The great discovery was that at the range they had dozens of guns you could rent. Buy a yearly membership and all of them were only $6 to rent. Took the family, rented a few and still kept my cheapo. I am glad I made my choice and it serves its purpose. If I need to use it, I am confident it will do the job. I may buy a couple of others, just to plant in strategic places. If I get more into it, I may consider other options... collectibles and names that make others jealous, but am good for now.

Good luck!!

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
i would like a HK23 .45 socom if i could afford it.

[video=youtube;mn5l4wLov7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn5l4wLov7k[/video]

I own one of these, though i inherited it.

LAR Grizzly 50 Cal...
[video=youtube;VQPfClI7S4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPfClI7S4o&feature=related[/video]

I do NOT keep this in my house...i keep it up north with other things i don't want to talk about :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
honeydew;1851849 said:
Who's going to stop me if I have the Desert Eagle? I would love a replica of the gun hang it on the wall and look at it all day. I wonder what the weight is, heavy anyway. I wonder if I could lift it. I had heard that the DE Kick back isn't as bad as the gun would have you believe.

Heavy as sin, friend has one and it is around 10lb loaded.

Poodles;1851981 said:

I'll take the bait, how so? Because most owners don't maintain them between shooting it 1 or 2 times a year because they need a bigger boom?

Op, nothing wrong with polymer guns. My glock was my first purchase because I shot it well, the price is fantastic and they are crazy easy to maintain.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The DE is huge, heavy, and isn't reliable. Having a floating magazine is just one of it's faults.

Not to mention it's dumb as anything other than a range gun. At least the big revolvers can be used for hunting...

It was basicly built as a "we can do it" gun, and not for real use.

Now the baby eagles...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
It needs to be big and heavy, you don't see a light weight version of the s&w .500 do you? The mass and energy created by such a large round dictates a large pistol. Who cares if it is a range toy? You don't see the vast majority of ar15 owners using the for hunting do you?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
CTsupra;1855824 said:
Yeah, as long as you're using a suppressor, lol.
Frankly, if I have to use a weapon for self defense, I think I would WANT people to know. Wouldn't have to make the call to the morgue myself. :p

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Poodles;1855707 said:
AR15 has low recoil and makes a good home defense gun though :)

AR15 is a hell of a long way from "What would your 1st hand gun be?". As far as home defense, look at a Kel Tec KSG, although pretty hard to find.
Another thought for the op, look at a Sig P220 Equinox--45ACP.