p1254697_2.jpg

p1254697_3.jpg

p1254697_4.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i think this is funny... because the head was as smooth as glass.
how you can say its not smooth as glass if you werent there?

and i was the other person who was there today.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The smoothness of the surface is evident in the amount of optical clarity.

That looks closer to 30-35 RA to me.

If that were truly 4 RA, it would be a mirror reflection. From the pictures, that does not seem to be the case. :)

Not busting on you, just doubting the accuracy of that profilometer.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Rennat;1254751 said:
i think this is funny... because the head was as smooth as glass.
how you can say its not smooth as glass if you werent there?

and i was the other person who was there today.

because i do this shit for a living.....isnt that good enough?

i know what "smooth as glass" is....and i can tell by the pics thats not "smooth as glass"....you can see the tool lines and marks where the chips rolled over on the aluminum...its a great finish...its a perfect finish...but its not "smooth as glass"

that is how i can say that

iMike_G.

Drop Top! FTW
Nov 16, 2008
Tracy, California, United States
gaboonviper85;1254997 said:
because i do this shit for a living.....isnt that good enough?

i know what "smooth as glass" is....and i can tell by the pics thats not "smooth as glass"....you can see the tool lines and marks where the chips rolled over on the aluminum...its a great finish...its a perfect finish...but its not "smooth as glass"

that is how i can say that

Brandon the guy who's head it is. dose that shit for a living to. so i would think he knos wat smooth as glass is too...:icon_surp

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
3p141592654;1255097 said:
You guys don't know what flat is! :icon_bigg

Is anything truly flat in the universe? Considering the space time curvature and all :D

Seriously, put that profilometer on a sheet of glass and see what comes up.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
the profilometer was just calibrated and is tracable to NIST.
I also checked it on the roughness standard that we have.
the head is as smooth as glass.
and the cutter is a special cutter meant to put glass like finishes on aluminum at high speeds. Plus the video was of the rough cut. not the finishing cut.

also just for shits and gigles I just walked over and tried it on a sheet of glass. and guess what?
it had an ra of 3. So soory if you guys can't tell from the pic. but it is what it is.

btw I'm a inspector at a machine shop that does work for places like lawerence livermoor labs, berkely physics and space labs, san dia labs, and nasa.
So think twice before second guessing my work.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you can consistantly provide an ra3 finish ALL 7M heads should go to that shop.

All I asked for was the meter to be checked on a sheet of glass and Mike started shooting his mouth off about his commentary....... (tone deaf from years of engines and machinery so no I couldn't hear shit on that vid)

Got some details on the cutter used?
(I'll buy one and do my own surfacing in house as I have trouble getting a shop to do an acceptable job)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
lol yeah, I know mike got a little overexcited, but he's young so just take it with a grain of salt. he's a good kid.

I haven't gotten a consistent ra of 3, but I can keep it under ra10 without an issue, it averages around 5-7 ra.

as far as the cutter goes IJ, I'll pm you the details, but I've seen the pics of your machine and I have some questions as to rigidity. (not trying to talk bad about it. I'm actually very impressed with it.) Also you need to run it between 4-6000 Rpm and it requires a 40 taper spindle or better.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Damn that's just over the limits of my machine in all ways....
(30int/3800 rpm)

I think people need to keep in mind the meter only samples a small area at a time so it very well could be 3 in that area just not across the entire surface.

10 is damn good though!

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Poodles;1255042 said:
Also, if you've ever seen glass cut/polished it done MUCH slower...
That's because glass is incrediably harder material.

gaboonviper85;1254741 said:
add a 0 to that and thats your ra....30-40 ra.....a glass mirror is ruffly 4ra....that head is not hear as smooth as glass

just because something isn't reflective dosen't mean that it dosen't have a low ra. I proved that to rennat and mike by taking a piece of stainless that started with a ra of 12 then bead blasted it with ultra fine grit (175+beads). Then I tested it again and got a 15ra, and the part had a totally flat, non-reflective surface. This is why you CANNOT determine an ra just by looking. just because a surface is reflective DOES NOT mean that it has a low Ra number.

Doward;1255210 said:
Is anything truly flat in the universe? Considering the space time curvature and all :D

Seriously, put that profilometer on a sheet of glass and see what comes up.

flatness and roughness are two totally seperate things.
But yeah, nothing is perfectly flat.