What what? an Ra of 3!?!?!?!?

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
IJ.;1255468 said:
Damn that's just over the limits of my machine in all ways....
(30int/3800 rpm)

I think people need to keep in mind the meter only samples a small area at a time so it very well could be 3 in that area just not across the entire surface.

10 is damn good though!

I actually checked it in several locations. I also was using the setting that takes the largest sample. I could have probably gotten a 0 or 1 ra if I set it to the small sample mode.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1255326 said:
If you can consistantly provide an ra3 finish ALL 7M heads should go to that shop.

4U2QUIK;1255464 said:
I haven't gotten a consistent ra of 3, but I can keep it under ra10 without an issue, it averages around 5-7 ra.

If you can achieve this consistently what IJ said is right.

Are you willing to do this as a paid service? Or is this just one of those fringe benefits of the job you can't abuse?

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
IJ.;1255477 said:
Tanner's head is close :D

ROFL that was the funniest thing I've read all week.

Rennat;1255486 said:
how did i get dragged back into this? hahaha
You opened your mouth. lol uhh... er.... I mean you typed ....?

Supracentral;1255507 said:
If you can achieve this consistently what IJ said is right.

Are you willing to do this as a paid service? Or is this just one of those fringe benefits of the job you can't abuse?
lol, my family owns the shop, and noone has any issues with me doing this as long as I use machines that aren't being used, and I clean up after myself. The only thing I see as an issue is; what are people willing to pay, and how much of a pain in the ass people are to deal with. I've done other machined products that require a core in the past and it's been nothing but a pita. Maybe you have some advice on this subject?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If that meter has been calibrated and did infact read correctly on the standard that came with it, then hot damn that's a nice finish!!! It seriously doesn't look that smooth cause I can see where chips rolled over but I can't see how deep those scratches are. I can also tell that the cnc machine it was done on was rather large which would help limit any sort of chatter.

Want to deck my head? LOL

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Doward;1255210 said:
Is anything truly flat in the universe? Considering the space time curvature and all :D

Seriously, put that profilometer on a sheet of glass and see what comes up.

The semiconductor world knows what flat is. Try maintaining a bow across 4 inches < 4 microns and an LTIR (local total indicated reading) of <0.5 microns across 15x15mm. If you can hold that then you know what flat means.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
why can't we mail you the head we want decked with a money order inside the shipping box? As far as charge...I'd pay $150 for you to deck mine!

I'd deck my own but our milling machines are never open:-(

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
3p141592654;1255602 said:
The semiconductor world knows what flat is. Try maintaining a bow across 4 inches < 4 microns and an LTIR (local total indicated reading) of <0.5 microns across 15x15mm. If you can hold that then you know what flat means.

It's measured against Tanner's head :D
(still interested in the cutter info when you get a chance 4U)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
gaboonviper85;1255595 said:
If that meter has been calibrated and did infact read correctly on the standard that came with it, then hot damn that's a nice finish!!! It seriously doesn't look that smooth cause I can see where chips rolled over but I can't see how deep those scratches are. I can also tell that the cnc machine it was done on was rather large which would help limit any sort of chatter.

Want to deck my head? LOL

I think what you are seeing is the coolant on the areas that I didn't clean off for the profilometer. If you see it after it's cleaned off with acetone you'd see what's going on better. When it's cleaned off it has that weird irredescent reflectiveness that aluminum has when it's polished and buffed out.

3p141592654;1255602 said:
impressive. but what does that have to do with ra?
gaboonviper85;1255603 said:
why can't we mail you the head we want decked with a money order inside the shipping box? As far as charge...I'd pay $150 for you to deck mine!

I'd deck my own but our milling machines are never open:-(
I'm thinking right about that price, but I want to do more of a group buy, that way I can do several at once, so I can schedule machine time, so there won't be any delays. But that would mean I would need a certain amout by a certain date. Or it's a nogo.
I also need to build a fixture plate for milling these heads. Setting up ontop of a dozen 123 blocks just sucks.

IJ.;1255607 said:
It's measured against Tanner's head :D
(still interested in the cutter info when you get a chance 4U)

ahhhhh you just ran the first joke into the ground.

I'll get the info tomarrow. I think they do a smaller cutter, but I'm still concerned about the rigidity of your machine. I'll have to take some pics of the machine I was using. It's a very stout machine, and it's 2 months old.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
A group buy is cool and all but for such an important part and the fact that not everyone is building a motor at the same time I think it's a bad idea....I need my head decked soon...I'm not ready to send it out yet as it's at another shop but they are fucking me over....so if and when I get the head back I'll need it decked and back to me asap...it's not something I personally will wait for considering it's importance to a motor swap.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
gaboonviper85;1256306 said:
It just looks like a multi insert shell cutter with diamond inserts...or carbide but such a nice finish is usually diamond
it's a special carbide insert that costs about 10$ apiece. Diamond inserts are for high finishes at high production. the biggest difference in aluminum for diamond inserts is wear life, and as a gimmick to sell automotive parts.
This is why you only see diamond inserts in high production situations. Unless you just like wasting money.

JMofIRW;1256318 said:
This thread has taught me so much. thanks guys!

As well my head will need decking when summer is over, so if you have prices and all that stuff figured out by then let me know.

I'm working out a deal for getting the heads milled through the shop. I'll let everyone know once I get everything worked out.