what killed your last motor thread

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
For my 86.5 with a 7M-GE it was the previous owner, they put a bad engine in, but it did last 20K miles. Knocked the whole way too.

For my 87 with a 7M-GE, it was the original engine, however the head gasket was never replaced, it lasted ~135K the the head gasket blew allowing me to put the 1UZ-FE in. Now with the current 1UZ, I can chaulk its faults up the the previous owner, I think it has poor head gaskets and is about to go...

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
Waste gate stuck shut ? It wouldn't move upon disassembly , which cracked the exhaust manifold, which I'm guessing caused the BHG , or vise versa . ( closed = over boost = lotsa heat = death )

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Stupidity.....

Low oil flow, spun bearings, rod knock. Tried to accelerate and the engine shut off.

Spun at least 3 of the 6 rod bearings...

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
you have pics of the bad vacuum line Nash?

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

didn't really "kill" my last motor, but I sheered some teeth of my timing belt, so it was time to put the new motor I was building in. I thought I had burned a hole in some pistons after it happened (ran like shit, compression checks failed because the belt slipped a few teeth), but the belt was the culprit

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
Boosting 15 psi on a rebuilt motor with a CT-26 57 trim with a bad tune, stock injectors, stock AFM and as you can guess I ran lean and fried two pistons. I was gonna rebuild until I found out that prev owner had the head surfaced to the max (20 thousandths) and didn't get it smooth enough for a MHG and the block needed a little taken off... So currently Im looking for a good block and a good head :/

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Decided my tires had too much tread on them, this is what killed my old 7m:

[video=youtube;71zzrm3xfjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71zzrm3xfjk[/video]

Learned shortly after that to run a quart over full on the dipstick to avoid this sort of thing. ;)

Last edited:

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
88 7mge, 250k miles, busted a lot coolant hose for years then bhg. 90 7mgte, 250k miles busted alot of coolant hose and numerous overheat. 23 psi then bhg.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Previous owner had a BHG and rebuilt, but the head had annealed. After 15,000km of myself owning it (a total of 25,000km after the rebuild) I found myself with cracks in the head.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
rakkasan;1633149 said:
you have pics of the bad vacuum line Nash?

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

didn't really "kill" my last motor, but I sheered some teeth of my timing belt, so it was time to put the new motor I was building in. I thought I had burned a hole in some pistons after it happened (ran like shit, compression checks failed because the belt slipped a few teeth), but the belt was the culprit

sorry i don't just picture a line that is umm burst could have been from small nick to who know si know rumbber is alot strounger

i going stian less brand this time aroudn any way

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
NashMan;1633876 said:
sorry i don't just picture a line that is umm burst could have been from small nick to who know si know rumbber is alot strounger

i going stian less brand this time aroudn any way

which line burst? The one going to your AFPR? What was damaged? Sounds like you smashed a ringland or two if you're putting that much power through a block with stock pistons.

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
15psi from a .57 trim CT26 and a stock headgasket finished my motor for the year. The guy I bought my MkIII from said the 7M had an MLS headgasket and ARP studs, so I saved up and did the Lex/550 mod with all the right stuff thinking it would hold. Then, all of a sudden on the dyno... POOF! White smoke everywhere... I shut it down immediately and had it towed home on a flatbed. I checked the oil when I got it in the garage and it still looked fresh, wasn't milky at all. I think I might get away with just replacing the headgasket, but we'll see.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
rakkasan;1633908 said:
which line burst? The one going to your AFPR? What was damaged? Sounds like you smashed a ringland or two if you're putting that much power through a block with stock pistons.

it was the line to the fuel reg and lucky years of wisdome i keep the same line to my boost controler too soo turly only hit 18 psi
who knows what happend all know later on this year my piston are off getting coated right now

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Reiketsukan;1633943 said:
15psi from a .57 trim CT26 and a stock headgasket finished my motor for the year. The guy I bought my MkIII from said the 7M had an MLS headgasket and ARP studs, so I saved up and did the Lex/550 mod with all the right stuff thinking it would hold. Then, all of a sudden on the dyno... POOF! White smoke everywhere... I shut it down immediately and had it towed home on a flatbed. I checked the oil when I got it in the garage and it still looked fresh, wasn't milky at all. I think I might get away with just replacing the headgasket, but we'll see.

Do you have any idea how long this combination was run?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
whitemike;1633333 said:
That was PAINFUL to watch.

Really? How so? I thought it was kinda fun, until I realized that I was pointed down wind, then it kinda sucked. :biglaugh:

briggsy

TEAM BHG 247
Feb 4, 2007
with the kangaroos
the mechanic/tuner, i believe the the timing insn,t surpose to jump 15 degrees in kickdown destroyed the head and cracked 2 pistons.

their excuse was it is a 7m it was bound to do it