What is this Supra Worth

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Greetings everyone!

I am considering buying this car as a new project but am not quite sure what a good price would be. KBB only goes back to 1992 and in FAIR condition a 92 turbo targa with 180K is valued at $2300. I would probabaly rate this one as poor condition since the engine needs extensive work. He told me it is a 5 speed, and it comes with a new dash because the one in the vehicle is damaged. He also said the odometer stopped at 128K but he didnt say when it stopped (thats why I just guessed 180k). Just by looking at the pictures on the CL ad I wasn't going to go over 1200.

I am going to look at it today in about 5 hours and I would really appreciate some opinions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3328418685.html

Thanks!!

-JP-

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
For not much more you can find much nicer examples. I'd probably pay 1200 for a very nice shell needing engine work or a fantastic runner with some body damage. Definitely not for one needing both and interior.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Hahaha that speaker box. If the kid can't afford proper speakers so he rigs that up like that, imagine what was half assed on the rest of the car.

Skip it. Look for a car with better quality of work. My cousin bought a 300ZX with crap like that rigged up for the stereo... and turns out the WHOLE car had poorly done work that gradually fell apart as he drove it. It cost him SO MUCH money to fix everything that he would have had to get the car free for it to be worth it.

One day he got stuck inside the car because the PO shaved all the door handles (inside and out) and the rigged up door poppers shorted out. LOL. He had to climb into the hatch and rip the interior apart to pull the hatch release solenoid by hand. He ended up spending $400 or so on all the door handles and hardware to make it OE again.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I didnt buy it. It looks alot better in the pics on the CL ad.

Who ever painted it didnt do a very good job because the paint it flaking off all over. It hasnt been started in 3 months...he said he couldnt get it started because there was no oil pressure (sounds like more than a rear seal leak to me). He didnt have the Targa Tool

The hood was a fiberglass hood with a giant hole cut in the middle (looks like for a scoop), and then covered with a piece of CF.

He said he has someone driving 10 hours to buy it for $1000 tomorrow, i told him if it doesnt go through to call me and maybe we can work something out. I will admit that the body was in really good shape, no dents or dings that I could see.

I appreciate everyones input and opinions!

-JP-

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I would look for something cleaner for 1500 even if i had to start with a N/A shell..

Targa Tool is not really a big deal as any correct size Allen tools will work

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Spare tire well looked super clean, so I would imagine the body is pretty rust free. If you want a project car.. that for 1000 is very worth it. Rebuilding the quarters on a slightly less rusty car would cost you a ton more... just a thought.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Grandavi;1882898 said:
The Spare tire well looked super clean, so I would imagine the body is pretty rust free. If you want a project car.. that for 1000 is very worth it. Rebuilding the quarters on a slightly less rusty car would cost you a ton more... just a thought.

Good thing about AZ is most of our cars have zero rust. ;) but I've seen better chassis then this one for less.