what do you guys do?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
kotu100;1843595 said:
My advice when you get back is to not spend ALL the money on your car, keep at least a couple g's in the bank for the next time it breaks.
Good advice, what's written above here...

ifyouaint1sturlast;1843619 said:
I just don't get why people buy this car when they don't have stable income. It's over twenty years old. You can't buy ANY car and not maintain it. Especially one that's twenty years old.
You know, I would argue that sometimes you get lucky. When I bought my old 79 Celica that I had, it was 30 years old. Wasn't much of a highway car since it had the 3 speed auto, but never had a problem with the car around town. Was a perfect town car. A Supra though... good luck finding one of those that hasn't been ridden hard and put away wet and overheating...

IBoughtASupra;1843635 said:
No way anyone would live on 120 bucks a month in NY.
Would be a lot of walking to work, never leaving the house, and having a cheap couch to sleep on, not to mention the ramen and cereal... but I imagine I could do it, especially if one were living with family.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
the $120 is definitely me living with my parents :p but it also means that i dont get to really do much being as i have no money to go anywhere because of my phone bill. but i bought the supra with the intent of not really driving it much until i got back from basic and AIT when i had the money to get it running reliably. when i bought the car i already knew that it wasn't in any condition to be driving daily what so ever. when i get back though i'm only planning on putting at the most, $4k into it and saving the rest. i've already accepted that i'm gonna have to wait awhile before i can get the body fixed up. not too bad, just needs new trim and paint touch up. new hatch wiper motor, and a wiper blade for it. otherwise the car is all around very solid. absolutely no rust anywhere. still deciding if i wanna do a 1jz swap or rebuild the 7m. a lot of you guys say do the 7m, which would be cheaper right away. but the thing is i really have no idea what all is wrong with the engine. i know for sure a spun bearing, and leaks pretty much everything. i'm sure its got a BHG too. coolant looks like coffee. haha. but once i get home i'll be making a stable income. for the first bit until i can find a full time job, i'll be making around $1500 a month from the National Guard. hopefully i can more than double that when i find a job. a lot of stuff to figure out for sure! haha

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cote006;1843717 said:
next to impossible being as i leave in less than 2 months for Basic and AIT. no one wants to hire someone thats going to leave right away for 6 months.
Don't tell them...

Or get your priorites right, it's just a car what does it matter if it's not running now.

SupraMario;1843726 said:
This...My car was down only for the 2jzgte swap, it's been on the road as my DD now for almost 8 years.
Yep when I was a kid I did the live on nothing spend every cent on the cars...

These days not so much of an issue, can't understand people "building" a Supra on a tight budget though it's NEVER going to end well...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1843729 said:

These days not so much of an issue, can't understand people "building" a Supra on a tight budget though it's NEVER going to end well...
Haha, well said man. It doesn't always end well even on a healthy budget. :p

cote006;1843871 said:
Meh. My budget is only tight for the next 2 months.
Dude, you have a Supra. Your budget will ALWAYS be tight. Seriously, crack might be cheaper in the long run. :rofl:

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
te72;1844006 said:
Haha, well said man. It doesn't always end well even on a healthy budget. :p

Dude, you have a Supra. Your budget will ALWAYS be tight. Seriously, crack might be cheaper in the long run. :rofl:

That is true haha. But it won't be as tight. I'll probably still be living at home when I get back so all I'll have to pay is insurance and phone bills. Rest will be car money, so that's nice. Haha

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Stop worrying about the supra and GO DO PT, PRIVATE!!!!!!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
cote006;1844077 said:
That is true haha. But it won't be as tight. I'll probably still be living at home when I get back so all I'll have to pay is insurance and phone bills. Rest will be car money, so that's nice. Haha
That works for a few years, but my advice? Start saving some of your money for the house too. No sense in having a badass car if you have to park it on the street, right? I know it probably doesn't sound all that exciting, but I was 27 (28? I forget) when I bought my first house. Finding out that the mortgage is actually cheaper than rent, and being able to walk around naked whenever I want? Every bit as awesome as it sounds. :p

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
te72;1844427 said:
That works for a few years, but my advice? Start saving some of your money for the house too. No sense in having a badass car if you have to park it on the street, right? I know it probably doesn't sound all that exciting, but I was 27 (28? I forget) when I bought my first house. Finding out that the mortgage is actually cheaper than rent, and being able to walk around naked whenever I want? Every bit as awesome as it sounds. :p

That actually is some good advice. Good reminder. I think a lot of young people like me seem to forget exactly what all we'll need to be paying for in the future. My plan is to get the supra at least running again and then I can start saving up for housing, ect..

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
IJ.;1843729 said:

Well after my life guarding gig when I was younger, I've always made more with each job, and normally 5 to 10xs what my peers made....always have had an office job. About to step my career up again and my salary is about to triple...so at 26...life is good.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
mine has been down on and off the entire time ive owned it! I bmx, mess with my daily driver, and am into salt water aquariums also.
my dd (dont rag my ford!!)
p1844842_1.jpg

and my reef
p1844842_2.jpg

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
looks like it's time for me to start job hunting! everything in my life just changed. i'm getting a medical discharge from the military due to depression.. :/
so all my plans money wise are completely gone, and i need to refigure out everything.

on the bright side though, this will give me the chance to go to college right away. i'm planning on going for auto mechanics.

by the way, quick off topic question.. any of you guys ever bring a car to a local college to lend to them for a class engine for their mechanics classes? i've been toying with the idea of bringing the supra to the local tech college this fall and having the mechanics class rebuild it, so i can save on labor costs and pretty much only have to pay for the cost of parts. but i dont know how great of an idea it is. it would also mean that it would be a lot longer until i got the car back.. say about a year until i would be able to take the car back??

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Do you like the idea of a bunch of potential potato heads working on your car?

No way in hell I would consider letting a high school class work on anything I intend to keep. Now, if it's beyond my desire to fix the car (body damage, engine completely toast, etc), sure, I'd donate a car in that case, but I wouldn't give them anything I wanted back. ;)