What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I find wrapped piping looks messy after time. The main piping I find heats the most is from the fender across the 7m. Gets almost too hot to touch after a run. Was just imagining a solution. Don't know if ceramic coating would help at all. CF just sounded smart if it existed... Probably cost over 500 just for that section...

Tyler Mitchell

May 27, 2013
Santa Ana CA
supranaut;2079258 said:
How would you keep a coupler on under boost without a bead on the pipe?

Some nice properly tight clamps and making sure the piping is tight together with enough surface area on the couplers I think you would be fine. Depending on how much boost you are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
supranaut;2079258 said:
How would you keep a coupler on under boost without a bead on the pipe?

I have had good luck taking a pair of pliers and slightly bending up the lip/edge of the pipe. Then positioning the clamp just behind the edge/lip on the coupling.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
more progress for your viewing pleasure. front end parts in lexus lfa white. :)

Attachments

• 13880398_1068630993233126_6993793249712609897_n.jpg
    13880398_1068630993233126_6993793249712609897_n.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 13895059_1068630986566460_8190434983150374530_n.jpg
    13895059_1068630986566460_8190434983150374530_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
picked up my painted parts today. also finished fabbing up the rack. going to paint the subframe and steel bumper insert tomorrow.
13936783_10208460897377710_1550712334_n.jpg13942306_10208460897617716_1699422929_n.jpgpartd.jpgpoiu.jpg

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
KenHenderson;2078542 said:
Hey guys,

I would have responded earlier, but I'm not getting subscription emails at the moment.

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I bought bhmSupra's car on June 28th, and flew from Cali to Alabama to make the deal. It's a 49k mile 1991 Supra Turbo 5MT Hardtop (Sunroof), super red, with grey cloth interior and has had a motor-out BHG rebuild, with proper machine work (head, block and timing belt housing) and an HKS MHG (I wanted a car with the 7M-GTE in it).

Certainly, I plan to do a few things to make her mine, but I'm not looking to make big power; just looking for a reliable car that can get out of its own way with enhanced braking/handling capabilities. I'll catch you guys up later with pics and narrative when I put something together but following is a brief chronology of events from the purchase date to the present:

June 28, 2016: Flew to Alabama and purchased the car
July 1, 2016: Car loaded onto transporter to begin its journey to California
July 5, 2016: Car arrived at my home safe and sound
July 9, 2016: Had the very few dings on the car removed
July 9, 2016: Car successfully passed smog test
July 11, 2016: Car was registered
July 12, 2016: Paint correction (11 hours)
July 13, 2016: Paint correction (10 hours)
July 19, 2016: Paint correction (12 hours) Car had a serious case of oxidation (fully disclosed by seller; he purchased the car that way). I had my reservations because of single-stage paint and all, but the guy I employed is a master and his work is magical. The paint, literally, looks new and in keeping with the vehicle's 9.5/10 interior.
July 20, 2016: Took car to Toyota Master Tech to replace bump stops on hatch and the body, diagnose suspension rattle, diagnose and fix (if possible) cruise control, install new driver windshield wiper arm.

The car is super solid and drives like a dream. Interestingly, I had a 1990 targa in the same color with grey leather. Sold her (regrettably) in 1996, about a 2-years after I purchased Blackie in 1994.

More on all this later as I make progress down the road.

Ken.

A few progress pics (over the last couple weeks). Hope to be able to develop a thread soon.

Personal inspection pics in Alabama:
IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0691.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

Arrival at my house/restoration begins:
IMAG0704.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0795.jpg

IMAG0799.jpg

Also had my wheels refinished, purchased coilovers, new tires and ordered a BBK. Hope to have the exterior and wheels/tires, brakes and suspension wrapped up in a few weeks. The car drives so well, I am in no hurry with the EMS, RC 550s/fuel pump, etc., so we'll see.

Ken.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Car looks sweet Ken.
Congrats on the purchase. Except for stance and improved braking modifications, I wouldn't bother doing any engine modification (maybe aesthetic). Start doing any engine performance mod's, assured reliability and dependability becomes skewed. I'm sure you already know this. Just enjoy the ride and the rarity of the sunroof.

KenHenderson;2079814 said:

IMAG0795.jpg

Also had my wheels refinished, purchased coilovers, new tires and ordered a BBK. Hope to have the exterior and wheels/tires, brakes and suspension wrapped up in a few weeks. The car drives so well, I am in no hurry with the EMS, RC 550s/fuel pump, etc., so we'll see.

Ken.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
IMAG0795.jpg

Ken.

My complements on the sweet sawblades! They looked chromed vs. machined like mine. Either way they are so much better than the original dull gray.

Last edited:

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
BlackDevilSupra;2079912 said:
Car looks sweet Ken.
Congrats on the purchase. Except for stance and improved braking modifications, I wouldn't bother doing any engine modification (maybe aesthetic). Start doing any engine performance mod's, assured reliability and dependability becomes skewed. I'm sure you already know this. Just enjoy the ride and the rarity of the sunroof.

BlackDevil,

You must be reading my mind. I'm not looking to make big power in the least. In fact the car drives so well as is (300 whp), I am not even sure if I will go through with my initial plans for 550 cc injectors, MKIV Supra fuel pump, etc. I wanted a dead reliable cruiser that can turn and stop when the spirit moves me, and I think I have that. Appreciate the advice.

Old Radar;2080003 said:
My complements on the sweet sawblades! They looked chromed vs. machined like mine. Either way they are so much better than the original dull gray.

Old Radar,

Those sawblades are chromed. They came that way when I purchased my 1990 new 26-years ago this past February. I put new wheels and tires on that car soon after I bought it, so I tucked away the sawblades and Goodyear Gatorbacks, thinking I would sell them at some point (tires only had 2900 miles on them). I made one half-hearted attempt to sell them, but no dice.

Lo and behold, 21 years after I sold my MKIII, and almost 26 years after removing the wheels and tires, they came in very handy when I sent out the wheels the car came with for refinishing. To be sure, I was very worried about whether the tires would even hold air (they did) and I did no driving at all until I drove 8-miles very slowly, with my wife following me, to a lift where we put on the refinished wheels and new tires. I'm guessing, but do not know for sure, that the chrome was a dealer-added option.

Ken.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Congrats on the purchase Ken!

I was aware that you were looking for one, but wasn't sure you'd find one that met your standards! Great choice with color/options.

When you start looking for some period correct parts, please feel free to join the FB group a few of us started for rare A70 parts. It's been a great way to share and exchange some of the most sought after parts for the A70 chassis.

KenHenderson

Oct 31, 2015
SoCali
Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Much appreciated.

I have to tell you, since I'm an HKS junkie as well, that I cannot read a post of yours without going through the list of HKS goodies in your sig :). Do you have a build thread?

First, I'm pretty much a tech illiterate. I am not on any social media for my own reasons, but I know there are several Supra-centric FB groups that interest me. If I were to join up, is there a way to limit my FB participation to Supra-only groups? Is an invitation to join the group required? I'm still not sure I want to do this, but it would be nice to know how to go about it if I change my mind. Thanks again.

Ken.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Facebook is yours to control. If a group is private, just click join and you'll be added after someone peeks at you. Don't accept friend requests unless they are desired and don't like anything. Like - is how Facebook gauges ads to pepper you with.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
KenHenderson;2080119 said:
Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Much appreciated.

I have to tell you, since I'm an HKS junkie as well, that I cannot read a post of yours without going through the list of HKS goodies in your sig :). Do you have a build thread?

First, I'm pretty much a tech illiterate. I am not on any social media for my own reasons, but I know there are several Supra-centric FB groups that interest me. If I were to join up, is there a way to limit my FB participation to Supra-only groups? Is an invitation to join the group required? I'm still not sure I want to do this, but it would be nice to know how to go about it if I change my mind. Thanks again.

Ken.

I haven't made a build thread for it actually. I'm currently waiting to get my 90 back from being painted and should create a thread with pics of everything. You've definitely been one of the leaders with HKS trailblazing and I've always appreciated your build(s) - the stroker, big twins, VPro, etc :D I'm happy to be able to follow in some great footsteps.

As far as facebook, Grandavi is correct, you can limit your exposure very easily and just have a fairly private account by not accepting many/any friend connections. When it comes to the specific Supra groups, you can join whichever groups you want and then any new posts simply show up in your news feed and you can browse and respond in each as needed.

Whenever you do create an account, I'll make sure to invite you to our group! Larry Prebis is in it, Chris Jensen has made an appearance, it's created some cool nostalgia :)

Kevin