What did you do to your supra today? Pics

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
1375389954021.jpg
Got these bad boys in. HUGE thanks for the advice on removing the upper control arm bolt. Whole spindle just nicely moves out of the way and cut down the installation process by probably an hour.

Last edited:

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
FWIW I'm on TT wheels with Eibachs and Tokico Blues, and I love the way it rides. Need to swap out a strut mount, but everything seems to sit pretty nicely. Wish it was moar low, but I'm not complaining with the terrible condition of the roads out here. The setup is quite aggressive even though I'm still on stock swaybars.

p1956313_1.jpg

Also, I hate all of you for not using IMG codes off of Photobucket.... Your cars and accessories look really nice and pretty and shiny from the thumbnails, but the second I get sucked out of the browser I use on my phone to lame mobile Photobucket I really stop caring, and generally look for the nearest sharp object with which to extract my own eyeballs.

Phew sorry, that being said, my whip is currently under the knife for some PS issues and intercooler tucking / hopefully having a front bumper soon.

Huge shout out to NewGen for the hookups on this dope ass TT-R trim as well... Giddy as a school girl.

p1956313_2.jpg

p1956313_3.jpg

p1956313_4.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am looking to replace my suspension parts, what bushings do you guys recommend? I am thinking about getting OEM bushings since I don't plan on tracking the car much it will mostly be a GT car, so comfort is a priority but also want to be able to have fun with her. I saw on Tokico's site they still have Illuminas that seem to be TEMS compatible for sale unless I miss read it. I want to keep TEMS or at least get a coilover setup that I can use something like EDFC with. I might also replace all of the links and traction bars with Battle Versions if you guys think I should since I am already in there. I also want to replace the subframe bushings and such while I am under the car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Doat;1956353 said:
I am looking to replace my suspension parts, what bushings do you guys recommend? I am thinking about getting OEM bushings since I don't plan on tracking the car much it will mostly be a GT car, so comfort is a priority but also want to be able to have fun with her. I saw on Tokico's site they still have Illuminas that seem to be TEMS compatible for sale unless I miss read it. I want to keep TEMS or at least get a coilover setup that I can use something like EDFC with. I might also replace all of the links and traction bars with Battle Versions if you guys think I should since I am already in there. I also want to replace the subframe bushings and such while I am under the car.

If comfort is of any concern, OEM. If you want a more aggressive, solid feel then go with a polyurethane. New OEM bushings will firm it up plenty if yours are worn.

Mine is a daily driven, GT car and I'll be going with OEM.

If you have TEMS and want to keep adjustable suspension Tokico Illuminas are your shock. Unless you want to go up to the new Tein EFDC active set-up for around $2k.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
suprarx7nut;1956387 said:
If comfort is of any concern, OEM. If you want a more aggressive, solid feel then go with a polyurethane. New OEM bushings will firm it up plenty if yours are worn.

Mine is a daily driven, GT car and I'll be going with OEM.

If you have TEMS and want to keep adjustable suspension Tokico Illuminas are your shock. Unless you want to go up to the new Tein EFDC active set-up for around $2k.
Where can i find the part numbers for the oem bushings I tried the TSRM but it only gives me the number for the part with the bushing like a control arm.

Also are these Illuminas TEMS compatible? I can't tell exactly
http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/p-480-shocks-illumina-series-toeu3634-front.aspx

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Doat;1956391 said:
Where can i find the part numbers for the oem bushings I tried the TSRM but it only gives me the number for the part with the bushing like a control arm.

Also are these Illuminas TEMS compatible? I can't tell exactly
http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/p-480-shocks-illumina-series-toeu3634-front.aspx

First of all, your car is already a "GT"... It has been for the past 20 + years.... I jut got done removing my tires/brake calipers/rotors so I can finally put in new everything. Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Shocks, Sway Bar Links, Tie Rods, Shock/Strut Mounts and so on...... The upper bushings come with the control arms. Just get the control arm. No chance your suspension is in any decent condition anyways so just get new control arms.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Sside;1956394 said:
First of all, your car is already a "GT"... It has been for the past 20 + years.... I jut got done removing my tires/brake calipers/rotors so I can finally put in new everything. Control Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Shocks, Sway Bar Links, Tie Rods, Shock/Strut Mounts and so on...... The upper bushings come with the control arms. Just get the control arm. No chance your suspension is in any decent condition anyways so just get new control arms.
Yea I know the MK3 is a GT car lol. Should I also just replace the links and traction bars too? Perhaps replace them with Battle Versions like I said, might as well upgrade right.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
theGOODWIN2012;1956304 said:
View attachment 69155
Got these bad boys in. HUGE thanks for the advice on removing the upper control arm bolt. Whole spindle just nicely moves out of the way and cut down the installation process by probably an hour.

You need new control arms as well....

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Doat;1956395 said:
Yea I know the MK3 is a GT car lol. Should I also just replace the links and traction bars too? Perhaps replace them with Battle Versions like I said, might as well upgrade right.

I honestly don't see why you would need battle version unless you plan on being on the track a lot and pushing it. With that said, these cars are GT cars and were designed for the highway. Stock suspension is more than enough and will save you tons of money. Invest in a good set of springs and shocks instead..... Doat, I know you are exited and you want to do this and that and there are tons of nice aftermarket "upgrades" but its important to think every thing through before dumping tons of money into parts that you may not need vs parts you will replace anyways and the investment is in a good name brand not a "race part".... Replace everything with moog and even dorman parts. It still wont be cheap but the difference in your handling and steering in higher speeds will be a huge improvement over worn out stock in a heavy car for 20 years....

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I know that is why I am asking you guys lol. I'm getting OEM bushings and try to find Tokico TEMS shocks or something, I also plan on getting Moog ball joints too since mine are squeaking.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Doat;1956402 said:
I know that is why I am asking you guys lol. I'm getting OEM bushings and try to find Tokico TEMS shocks or something, I also plan on getting Moog ball joints too since mine are squeaking.

Good, get emm... I was going to finish my front suspension Saturday but I postponed till prob 2-3 more weekends. I was not happy with a couple of things I saw so I'm going to go ahead take care of everything already plus powder coat a few parts so they don't look all fugly..... Yes I want to drive my car but I want my car to be in great shape more :D.....

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice, I plan on gathering a parts list for this and triple checking it. I may also convert my brake lines to SS, not sure on that yet.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
Doat;1956402 said:

lol at the previous comment...dont worry i wont burn it down just yet. i think i got the circle jerk from toyo here in my town and the one in houston, both said i can only get 5th gear thrust out of cali. so i call cali thinking they can get it out of a warehouse next day and overnight it direct so i "might" have gotten it sat but prob mond. cali guy says "yeah no matter what, the cali depo is a national depo and no matter how close you are its ALWAYS 3-4 days to get shit out of there...BUT cincinatti, chicago, somewhere in kansas have some in their warehouses and they should be able to get the part next day and ship overnight".
so i call cinci since he said they had 2 and the guy acted like i was asking him to drive the part to texas himself or something...."no sir, we cant ship overnight or even prio...only flat basic shipping" 2nd dealer was nicer but said same thing, but this time they think its 3-4 days like cali says. i call houston back again to get confirmation that he was 100% certain that he thought 7-10 business days was correct like he originally told me...hes real blunt and just says no, NOTHING i can do. after this i threw my phone at my couch in frustration, not hard but hard enough it bounced back off and landed face down cracking the screen in a million ways.
i calmed and went and upgraded my phone like i planned to next week anyways...just bad timing. got the new'ish htc one...anyways back on topic.
i got ahold of the 3rd cinci dealer and this guy was ok to work with. says "yeah, if you wouldve called about an hour or so ago id have to tomorrow and ship it out then or sat but i wont get it till sat at the soonest and it might not ship till monday"...i ask em about shipping and he says fedex usually gets the business and is pretty quick about it. so, cool get it ordered and he says theyll charge me when it comes out and is ready to be shipped out. in reality i prob wont get it till wed/thurs next week. atleast i learned how to triple check my shit before i start torquing.

on your topic of suspension, that was why my car was on stand for so long last time so i can give you a good idea what to do. i got the illumina 2's, driftmotion subframe spacers and h&r race springs on enery polys(springs are low and pretty stiff so i wouldnt go that route) i think the shocks make things a little stiffer than stock but not unbearable even with race springs and poly bushings...which leads me to my next suggestion, GET POLY. its going to last longer and IMO it wont make for a harsh ride, just better all around. i used the energy's from drift motion front and rear and price wasnt bad at all. the only bushings you wont get are the spherical bushings (DO NOT remove these thinking you can swap poly in, it wont work right) if the sphericals arent frozen stuck and arent sloppy i wouldnt bother changing em.
if i were to do it again i would have saved myself the trouble and bought camber bolts front and rear. i think a huge majority of our cars have seized camber bolts (lower control arm bolts) and the only way to get em out is to cut em. i was cheap and went to the junk yard and hacked the tabs off and cut around the control arms to get the bolts out (very tedious and wasnt worth the cost saving at all...i only did it due to time constraint)

air tools and a press are almost a must have to do the swap...some state theyve done without but im an experienced diesel tech and theres no way i couldve done without. i didnt use a press but i had a harbor freight balljoint puller and even then the tool was garbage by the time i got the job done. if you use stock bushings to go back in youll almost certainly need a press due to the outer metal sleeve needing to go in perfectly straight or itll burr up and never go in.

pm me if you need any more help on the topic...im not THE expert on the subject but ive done it and can walk you through it pretty easy.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I will be getting new bolts I've read how people have had to cut the old ones off. I know a shop near me that some friends of mine own and have done work on my car before, clutch, flywheel, and such, they do great work so I will be getting this done with them. I could contact them and see if they get OEM bushings with their hook up and they also prefer to order parts since they would be able to know how they fit and things like that. I am iffy on Energy poly bushings I've ready they squeak but with proper lubricant they won't and as mentioned before I am keeping my car a cruiser and since my bushings are old and worn I think replacing them with new stock bushings would get it to where I would like it. I want to replace every bushing on the suspension and if need be replace links too unless that isn't necessary?

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
theGOODWIN2012;1956304 said:
View attachment 69155

Looks good man. Probably feels even better.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
On the topic of poly vs rubber, I vote poly every time. Chances are that if you do them now, the car will turn to dust before you have to do them again, and the change in ride is minimal. Will feel tighter and more firm, not harsher per se.