What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jzamerican;1952669 said:
sorry bro mine did that and then it came out :/

i never had a hg mix my oil and coolant together

When the engine is powering it pressurized the rad with leaked exhaust gases (which forces the coolant out of the overflow). When its a really badly blown gasket the coolant can pump into the cylinders as well and creep past the rings. This results in bearing wear. Can kill the crank as well.

If it is a BHG, replace it properly and never worry about it. If it hasn't leaked too long, the head and block surfaces won't be corroded. If you wait too long, the whole ball game changes. If you can smell it in the exhaust (or get white smoke plumes) its getting into the combustion chamber.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Get the head surfaced and might as well get a valve job at that point and change your valve stem seals while you are at it too then get ARP head studs and a new gasket never have to worry about anything. Do it right the first time and enjoy the results for a lifetime.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I don't have the time to do a head gasket repair. This is my only car and I work 5 days a week. I was planning on saving up to buy a second car, need one for winter anyway, and putting money aside for the supra. It needs a complete rebuild bad. The motor has 205k miles, its lacking power, burning oil, I changed the oil last week and the new oil already smells like gas. It will probably be easiest to buy a new engine

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Hmm.. never thought to go 2jz. I think that's what I'm going to save for. I have everything for a stage 4 clutch except for the clutch plate and my buddy has a spare r154

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ummm not to be a party pooper... But it's cheaper to replace the car.

You can't just "buy a new engine". You can't just "go 2j".
Those are fantasies.

Having never seen the car, judging by your description and without even verifying a BHG... I would assume your going to have to deal with a whole boatload of tiny issues. If you got the money to burn (5000.00 +), go ahead and jump in.

However, you could replace it for less.

Everyone will tell you the path, but nobody will fund it. A MK3 Supra is not recommended as your sole transportation unless its finished. Yours sounds like its just beginning.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Worked on it all day :D
Installed front lip
Changed the front brake pads
Painted all four calipers and rotors
Replaced broken trans plug (it shifts on its on now, yay!)
Painted muffler black except the tip (didn't like how much it was visible under the car)
Sanded and touched up some rust spots on the fenders :/
Replaced my, more than likely fake, HKS BOV with a for sure HKS one
Removed the seat backs outa the back seat to finish the delete
Dyed my cargo area carpet black and reinstalled it
Swapped my steering wheel to the TRD Momo one I had lying around
Installed LEDs in my tail lights
Did the tail lamp failure sensor bypass
Then painted the back panel inserts black to see how they looked (I like so far)

On to the pics!

At the end of the night

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Went to post office, and picked up the Apexi MAP sensor for the AVC-R.

Looked at my field harness... And added the wiring for the Apexi Neo to it. For now, the AFM signal is just jumpered closed, since I don't know if I'm actually going to install the Neo in the car yet. This means that I will indeed have 2 MAP sensors under the hood, which I didn't thnk that I'd need to do, but some reading indicates that what the Apexi wants is different than what the Zeitronix wants, and rather than deal with the fallout of that, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the extra sensor.

Installation will be exciting, I'm sure.

All I need to do for wiring (Other than route the wiring harnesses) is extend 3 wires for the Zeitronix MAP sensor, and find the illumination wire for the Neo. I have a plan for the positions of the Neo, AVC-R and the ZR-2 gauge. I'm giving serious though to also getting the LCD display for the Zeitronix, but I have some other thoughts on that.

The Neo is probably going to go in the tried-and-true location of the ashtray in the center console for now. I'd really like something better, but without doing a lot of custom fabrication, that's the best place for it.

I've got an idea for the AVC-R that I like. The switch panel on the left hand side of the steering column seems about perfect for it. (Might reverse the Neo and the AVC-R locations, since the face plates are the same size.)

Probably put the ZR-2 gauge in the lighter socket for now. that means that I'll need an alternate location for 12VDC power, but that's what the center console is for anyway. I want to put stuff like my phone and tablet out of sight anyways.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Grandavi;1952706 said:
Ummm not to be a party pooper... But it's cheaper to replace the car.

You can't just "buy a new engine". You can't just "go 2j".
Those are fantasies.

Having never seen the car, judging by your description and without even verifying a BHG... I would assume your going to have to deal with a whole boatload of tiny issues. If you got the money to burn (5000.00 +), go ahead and jump in.

However, you could replace it for less.

Everyone will tell you the path, but nobody will fund it. A MK3 Supra is not recommended as your sole transportation unless its finished. Yours sounds like its just beginning.

I was originally planning on just dropping a new/rebuilt/used with lower mileage 7mge in along with new clutch, motor mounts, whatever else needs or is recommended to be replaced while the engine is out. It does have a bunch of tiny issues but for being in Wisconsin for almost the last 8 years it has little rust and for the miles it has the interior is in decent shape. No ripped fabric or cracked dashboard, carpets would look brand new after a good cleaning. When I get a second car ill be able to take my time to save up for an engine swap and I can take my time while doing it so its done right.

jzamerican

Jan 25, 2012
buffablow ny
Grandavi;1952683 said:
When the engine is powering it pressurized the rad with leaked exhaust gases (which forces the coolant out of the overflow). When its a really badly blown gasket the coolant can pump into the cylinders as well and creep past the rings. This results in bearing wear. Can kill the crank as well.

If it is a BHG, replace it properly and never worry about it. If it hasn't leaked too long, the head and block surfaces won't be corroded. If you wait too long, the whole ball game changes. If you can smell it in the exhaust (or get white smoke plumes) its getting into the combustion chamber.
yup not fun my 7m block and bearing are still in good shape. my head lifted so i just gave up on the dam thing and went 1jz

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What I meant was... Think this out carefully. If you can't do the work yourself (like me for the major stuff) your better off getting a different car. Just was trying to rip you away from the Supra dream for a second to think about that because if you love the car like I do, are short on time (have to pay to have the work done) and are faced with the beginnings of major work... You need to see the car clearly. They aren't an expensive car to buy, but can be terribly expensive to fix. I could have 3 mk3's for what I have put into my 88 so far... All of the done up and needing very little work.

Most people don't hear that... But just consider that for what you will pay to fix yours, you could buy a completed Supra and just maintain it. I paid too much, have done too many repairs twice (to get it right) and can now look back and see that I should have bought a car that was much closer to what my end goals were rather than dumping money in to get mine to where it is today. I have learned a lot and hindsight is 20-20.

Look at what you have, think about what you need to do and consider that you could throw your car away for nothing, buy one that is complete and come out further ahead.

The guys on here that are doing the work themselves have a very large advantage over those of us who have little time or not enough skill.

Just wanted to get you to think.

(Your free to do what you want, it just sounded like you were short on time and weren't going to be doing the work yourself. I have walked that path and was just hoping to add some thought. If the shell is straight and good, its worthy of fixing, I just wanted to point out alternatives. Still don't think these are smart cars as a primary source of transportation though)

Last edited:

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Grandavi;1952793 said:
What I meant was... Think this out carefully. If you can't do the work yourself (like me for the major stuff) your better off getting a different car. Just was trying to rip you away from the Supra dream for a second to think about that because if you love the car like I do, are short on time (have to pay to have the work done) and are faced with the beginnings of major work... You need to see the car clearly. They aren't an expensive car to buy, but can be terribly expensive to fix. I could have 3 mk3's for what I have put into my 88 so far... All of the done up and needing very little work.

Most people don't hear that... But just consider that for what you will pay to fix yours, you could buy a completed Supra and just maintain it. I paid too much, have done too many repairs twice (to get it right) and can now look back and see that I should have bought a car that was much closer to what my end goals were rather than dumping money in to get mine to where it is today. I have learned a lot and hindsight is 20-20.

Look at what you have, think about what you need to do and consider that you could throw your car away for nothing, buy one that is complete and come out further ahead.

The guys on here that are doing the work themselves have a very large advantage over those of us who have little time or not enough skill.

Just wanted to get you to think.

(Your free to do what you want, it just sounded like you were short on time and weren't going to be doing the work yourself. I have walked that path and was just hoping to add some thought. If the shell is straight and good, its worthy of fixing, I just wanted to point out alternatives. Still don't think these are smart cars as a primary source of transportation though)

I hear where you're coming from and it does make sense. I was actually thinking about that a little while ago, just buy an almost completed Supra. I have always wanted a targa. I have seen a few completed supras for sale around my area but to me, the fun is in building it. I love working on my car even if most of the time I don't completely know what I'm doing. I would plan on doing most of the work myself as I don't like paying people to work on my car (even if I could afford it).

But as of right now all options are open to me and I'm not 100% set on anything yet.

Im not known for making the smartest of decisions. Resurrecting a 26 year old car that was sitting for 2 years and making my DD kinda shows that. Although this is the first car I've owned that's never left me stranded.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, doing it yourself is best and I remember the joy and satisfaction of a build. However, even with a "better" Supra, your going to be farther ahead if you shop smart.

I missed 2 Supras that I would have overpaid to get my hands on because I am too deep into my 88 financially. I didn't realize the reality until I was in my 5th year of the car and looked back and realized I was a smuck for not figuring it out sooner.

Love my car.. but I could have saved myself a ton of headache/money if I knew then what I know now.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
I'm actually in the middle of getting my Passat running so I can park the Supra and give it the love it needs.

It's not a terrible DD but 26mpg vs 16 makes quite a difference.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Grandavi;1952882 said:
Yeah, doing it yourself is best and I remember the joy and satisfaction of a build. However, even with a "better" Supra, your going to be farther ahead if you shop smart.

I missed 2 Supras that I would have overpaid to get my hands on because I am too deep into my 88 financially. I didn't realize the reality until I was in my 5th year of the car and looked back and realized I was a smuck for not figuring it out sooner.

Love my car.. but I could have saved myself a ton of headache/money if I knew then what I know now.

True, having a good starting point just means you can start modding that much sooner. Modding > fixing. The joy is in the build, not fixing what the previous moron never took care of :/ if you were already itching to do a swap (like I was) then the time has come!!! :D
If not... At least look for cars that are more inline with your goals/plans/desires/abilities. That's why I ended up buying my '91, it was closer to my end point than my '87. Although I did love that car, it was really gonna be more work than it was worth to get to my goal.
And I'll agree with you, my '87 never left me stranded, had a BHG from the day I bought it, but always got me there :D

In other news...
Took a pic of my dye job from yesterday

Not bad for $2.85 in Rit dye...

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
yhatzee89;1952911 said:
True, having a good starting point just means you can start modding that much sooner. Modding > fixing. The joy is in the build, not fixing what the previous moron never took care of :/ if you were already itching to do a swap (like I was) then the time has come!!! :D
If not... At least look for cars that are more inline with your goals/plans/desires/abilities. That's why I ended up buying my '91, it was closer to my end point than my '87. Although I did love that car, it was really gonna be more work than it was worth to get to my goal.
And I'll agree with you, my '87 never left me stranded, had a BHG from the day I bought it, but always got me there :D

In other news...
Took a pic of my dye job from yesterday

Not bad for $2.85 in Rit dye...

Wow, that looks really good

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
The biggest issue was makin sure it was all even, but when I folded it up and put it in a bucket, that worked best (trash bag method just didn't work) but I'm happy with it, I have black carpet that I need to install in the front, but this worked pretty well for the back :)

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I think I'm gonna do that sometime.

I have a quick question. I'm at the store buying r134 cause my AC isn't super cold anymore. Does anyone recommend the stuff with the leak sealer or should I just get the regular stuff?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
No for two reasons. Never buy anything that advertises to seal leaks, as a general rule of thumb. The second thing is unless you converted to r134 the system is still r12. No bueno.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA