What did you do to your supra today? Pics

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
Long story about this one coming up later today... but I have a question. Are these parts the same on pre and post 89 cars? Its the ignition thing that sits behind the key cylinder. Mines all broke and has cut wires and is not easily fixable. My buddy has a good one on his 90 parts supra

8ehyqe2u.jpg

de3yqahy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Put the turbo back together!

Ceramic coated hot side, clamp, and stock elbow.

New gaskets on elbow, water, and oil pipes. New studs and bolts from Toyota on water and oil pipes too.

Turbo.jpg

Only thing I don't know is which way to face the gasket that goes between the oil pipe and the block. So I haven't put it back in the car :(

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The exhaust is probably the first best upgrade. It won't mess with anything engine wise but will allow it to breathe correctly. If I was to change anything on the Supra, that would be the one thing.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I just went to my buddies house and grabbed that part off his 90. It fit. Long story short, I took out the push button start that the previous owner rigged in and when I was stripping wires on that ignition module one of the leads broke off. So I went inside to try to fix it and it started raining really hard. All my windows were down. I ran outside to put them up but my ignition system was completely disabled so I had no power to anything. So in the pouring rain with all my windows down I had to tape these wires together and rig the broken lead (which of course was the one for accessory power, aka power windows). I finally got it together and got my windows up but my interior was sopping wet. Water got all the way into my car. door handles had puddles and everything. And 30 minutes prior to this I cleaned out my whole car :( I'm just glad nothing got so wet that any electronics fried. I'm surprised my door speakers still work. I eliminated all this wire and there's still some more I have to fish out.
ede8e4at.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Grandavi;1968530 said:
The exhaust is probably the first best upgrade. It won't mess with anything engine wise but will allow it to breathe correctly. If I was to change anything on the Supra, that would be the one thing.
I agree, love how my car sounds now but I am having other issues like stalling or low bouncing idle but it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere. If I am like backing up or slowing driving forward getting on and off of the clutch it will stall out or struggle to idle.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Austin2048;1968459 said:
Long story about this one coming up later today... but I have a question. Are these parts the same on pre and post 89 cars? Its the ignition thing that sits behind the key cylinder. Mines all broke and has cut wires and is not easily fixable. My buddy has a good one on his 90 parts supra

compare plugs, I believe they are different P/N's... might have been lock cylinders memory all GTV'd out right now

you could likely remove - repin...

make sure the plastic T is in good shape, only the key tip engauges that...

as for 1/2 years -- there have been lots, 2001.5 passat comes to mind
usually just a late arrival, april-july release

Toyota/Lexus changes model year in the factory around Sept. 1

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
ah yea I do see it im not 100% sure

I think it goes against the oil pipe? even looking at the pic it looks like there is a ring where the old gasket use to be lol

and ah ok nice that's a good dp

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone got any ideas on where to start with fixing my stalling/idle problem? When I start up my car and it warms up the idle bounces a little bit or when I am backing out or moving up a little bit and shift back into neutral or engage the clutch it will stall out. I plan on spraying brake cleaner around vac lines and such but would like to get some other methods or ideas on resolving this.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Austin2048;1968605 said:
Is this a factory plug?
asy8yje9.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk now Free

It might be. I can't remember what the antenna plugs look like on the car, but the car does have two of them. One for the power antenna and one for the antenna that is built into the back window. you probably want to use the one for the power antenna and just leave the other one unplugged.

Austin2048

May 31, 2013
Kaukauna, Wi
I didn't know there was an antenna in the back window. I'm using the antenna plug that plugs into my head unit without any adapters. I assume its the power antenna.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Austin2048;1968633 said:
I didn't know there was an antenna in the back window. I'm using the antenna plug that plugs into my head unit without any adapters. I assume its the power antenna.

That's probably the power antenna. The original head unit had an indicator on it labeled "diversity antenna" and it would switch between which antenna had better reception.

Today and yesterday I took the car on the longest trip I have had it on, ~500 miles round trip. It ran perfect all the way, I got gas on the way back and had 24.2 mpg with cruising at about 70 mph the whole time. Not bad at all for a 26 year old car if you ask me.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Scheduled r154 for stage 2 build at jack transmission (very excited about having a trany I can shift properly), saw the 1000 cc injectors installed (suhweet), thumbed up the sp6265 sitting pretty on the silver ceramic coated hks long runner manifold, bought a turbo blanket to keep my hood from heating up, scratched my head at why the exhaust pipes weren't on yet and shrugged... (Trany coming out anyway)

... And accepted the fact the car wouldn't be home until Christmas.

Considering powder coating my valve covers... maybe the intake manifold as well... and maybe plating the PS reservoir.... and... maybe....

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doat;1968585 said:
Anyone got any ideas on where to start with fixing my stalling/idle problem? When I start up my car and it warms up the idle bounces a little bit or when I am backing out or moving up a little bit and shift back into neutral or engage the clutch it will stall out. I plan on spraying brake cleaner around vac lines and such but would like to get some other methods or ideas on resolving this.

Best to move this to the tech section, they don't always look here.. and most of my solutions are "best guesses"...