What did you do to your supra today? Pics

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Nothing wrong with K&N. Its archaic oiled gauze technology works great at stopping leaves, rocks, and squirrels. It's piss poor at stopping dirt though. Remember, this is a filter that works so well the company sells a sock that goes over it for use in dusty areas. Won't even get into what the oil can do to your AFM...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Doat;1942995 said:
I feel the same for the most part I love seeing old cars that have been fully restored so it's like straight out of the showroom it's like a trip back in time. I would have built my 7M but since I have this 2jz I can easily get it to 400hp reliably and take my time with it while I still run the trusty old 7M. My 7M is a damn soldier, fairly recently I messed up on putting my timing gear on backwards and chewed up the front main seal and ended up with low compression on cylinders 3 and 4 then after my shop put on a new seal and I found a good timing gear at a junkyard from an MK3, very rare to find one in a junkyard, we put it all back together and it runs like nothing happened. When we first started it with the bad compression it ran like crap and I broke a spark plug top at the shop because one of the sockets I used loves to break them lol, so we changed it, checked that the timing is all correct and started it back up and she purred like a kitten. Been driving her daily ever since and not had one single problem even when I show her some turbo love. My 7M seems to fix itself at times I swear lol.

You can make 400 hp reliably with 7M, jus saying....

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
jetjock;1942997 said:
Nothing wrong with K&N. Its archaic oiled gauze technology works great at stopping leaves, rocks, and squirrels. It's piss poor at stopping dirt though. Remember, this is a filter that works so well the company sells a sock that goes over it for use in dusty areas. Won't even get into what the oil can do to your AFM...
Okay I will get an AEM dry flow as I said lol.
Sside;1942998 said:
You can make 400 hp reliably with 7M, jus saying....
Yea I know but from what I am seen on here it seems that after 500hp or so reliability seems to take a steep fall. The way I see it is running the 7M at 400 hp is like running it at 70 or 80% out of 100% and running a 2jz at 400 is like running it at 40% out of 100% if that. Know what I mean?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Doat;1942974 said:
I see the same thing the cleaner supras are owned by older people and the modded ones with missing front bumpers, makes me cringe to see that crap, are owned by young wanna be drifters. I am just glad that I have not seen a hellaflush MK3 if I do in person I will have to kill the owner and fix his supra to make it a proper and functional car.

Haha mine was missing the front bumper until today because I needed to drill out all the rusted bolts that snapped off when I took it off. Been driving it that way for a few weeks now (in the middle of moving) I'm pretty sure all the HS kids thought I looked like a bad ass, when in reality I looked like a dousche lol

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
yhatzee89;1943001 said:
Haha mine was missing the front bumper until today because I needed to drill out all the rusted bolts that snapped off when I took it off. Been driving it that way for a few weeks now (in the middle of moving) I'm pretty sure all the HS kids thought I looked like a bad ass, when in reality I looked like a dousche lol
Now that is perfectly acceptable lol at least you had it off for a good purpose.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
jetjock;1942997 said:

That's why I ditched the one that I was running on my F-250 powerstroke, too many downsides just to say you have an intake :nono:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Doat;1943000 said:
Yea I know but from what I am seen on here it seems that after 500hp or so reliability seems to take a steep fall. The way I see it is running the 7M at 400 hp is like running it at 70 or 80% out of 100% and running a 2jz at 400 is like running it at 40% out of 100% if that. Know what I mean?

That's a wrong way of seeing things thou... You cant calculate the limits of an engine based on just 7M, 2JZ, B16, K20 w/e.... A built 7M with 400HP can be running in your point of view at 40% while a beat up bad 2JZ swap can be running at 99.9 %...... A built 7M is prob cheaper than a 2JZ swap by the way...A lot of things come into consideration when it comes to making power... Too many to name.... You know what you want, but the fact your magic number is 400 hp does not justify your decision in this case because the 7M is more than capable of it Daily.... And not trying to confuse you or sway you towards 7M, just trying to understand... One quick question tho, why 400? What exactly made you arrive at a 4 and two 0's..... Why not 350 or 425.....?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
jetjock;1943005 said:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Nothing beats paper and in all but the most Hi-Per engines it'll flow all the air the engine needs. The limiting factor in nearly all induction systems isn't the filter anyway.

That's the report that I read that decided I was ditching the K&N. It's up on the diesel forums all over the place, they say in most instances the stock air box even flows better than the aftermarket anyways. The old 7.3's used to just cut extra holes in the factory box and that was all you needed

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Sside;1943004 said:
That's a wrong way of seeing things thou... You cant calculate the limits of an engine based on just 7M, 2JZ, B16, K20 w/e.... A built 7M with 400HP can be running in your point of view at 40% while a beat up bad 2JZ swap can be running at 99.9 %...... A built 7M is prob cheaper than a 2JZ swap by the way...A lot of things come into consideration when it comes to making power... Too many to name.... You know what you want, but the fact your magic number is 400 hp does not justify your decision in this case because the 7M is more than capable of it Daily.... And not trying to confuse you or sway you towards 7M, just trying to understand... One quick question tho, why 400? What exactly made you arrive at a 4 and two 0's..... Why not 350 or 425.....?
Good points all around. I am not like dead set on going for 400hp just something around there I think it's a good balance between having a good amount of power but not a stupid amount to make the car uncomfortable to drive. Like I think 350-400 hp is a good medium for daily driving and having fun at the track.
jetjock;1943005 said:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Nothing beats paper and in all but the most Hi-Per engines it'll flow all the air the engine needs. The limiting factor in nearly all induction systems isn't the filter anyway.
Thank you for the report link I love seeing stuff like that, where do you guys buy the dry flow filters by the way?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Doat;1943013 said:
Good points all around. I am not like dead set on going for 400hp just something around there I think it's a good balance between having a good amount of power but not a stupid amount to make the car uncomfortable to drive. Like I think 350-400 hp is a good medium for daily driving and having fun at the track.

Thy as the same power goals I have for those same reasons, just wanna beat the crap outa the civic on the way home and not embarrass myself if I go to the track. But not make it more race car than DD

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I think the MK3 is a great car for that goal it's already a comfortable cruiser I find my MK3 to be very comfortable I once drove it from Houston to Galveston and that is about an hour drive each way and at the end of that trip I was not tired at all from driving, no back aches, numb bum, or anything I was only exhausted from the heavy drinking we did that night at my friend's beach house lol.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Back when my '89 was still very new, I drove it from here to Tulsa, OK. 3 days there, 16 hours or so behind the wheel. Set the cruise, and go. My wife and I tented. She was really really sick for the trip down, and so didn't do any of the driving. She did help with setting up and tearing down camp, but not as much as she normally would. No problems with the trip, not for either of us. It really was a very comfortable drive.

Now, it's gained a whole lot of power (Well, not currently, as it's transmission is on the garage floor) in having had a 7M-GTE swapped in, then 550cc injectors, Lexus AFM, large 60-1 turbo, boost control, large intercooler, large (But still quiet, thank you) exhaust. In all that, I've never taken away anything that would make the ride less comfortable, or the car suitable for a nice highway cruise.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
What exhaust did you use? I am interested in a 3in full exhaust that doesn't have a loud drone at like highway speeds or at all unless you get on the throttle.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Random technology (racing) downpipe, LIPP elbow, and Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust. With that behind the 60-1 turbonetics bolt-on, it was the quietest exhaust at one of the local meets, from idle all the way to WOT.

The one guilty bit with it is that there's no cat, nor is there a way to add one without replacing the downpipe. I have a really hard time feeling too guilty about that when there are so many diesel pickup trucks out there with the big-ass side exit exhausts, and chipped so that they'll fill my car with soot at every intersection if I happen to be beside them at the light with a window down. They're not as bad for carbon monoxide because diesel simply isn't bad that particular way, but just as bad for NOx and several times worse for HC emissions, enough so that they'll emit more on a single heavy throttle start than I will with my entire tank of fuel. This also takes a lot of the joy out of driving around with the roof off in this city. (We seem to REALLY like our diesel 4X4 trucks up here.) It's impossible to make any kind of difference even in my own neighborhood.

Local regulations actively make it difficult to install an aftermarket catalytic converter, and it's even been implied that I could be fined for having an aftermarket cat, but not for complete removal of a non-functional OEM. Yep, that's right. Replacement with an aftermarket unit is an offence, but removal of the OEM isn't, so long as it's within reason that the OEM unit was no longer functional. For a vehicle more than 15 years old, you don't even need a mechanic to sign off on it.

That said, just to see, I did run my car through an emissions test in BC. The car actually passed the tailpipe tests for being a 1989 model, with HC, NOx and CO emissions below the acceptable standard (Though it was close for the NOx number), but of course it failed the visual inspection because there isn't actually a catalytic converter anywhere in the exhaust. Didn't matter, because I don't need to register my car there. It's not long at all before my car hits 25 years old, and I'll no longer need to worry about it even if I did move there. (In the meantime, the trees in my own yard have me at a net positive for city smog, even with 4 household vehicles.)

Should I install a cat? Sure, all else being equal. It's not.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
hahaha I was surprised my car passed the first inspection I did with it after I did the head gasket and my timing was a little off, so i was worried that would cause it to fail but it passed without issue and all they did was stick the probe up the exhaust. I am not sure about the CAT laws for TX but I think you do need one; however, there are people that run open downpipe around here but I am pretty sure they don't always run like that lol.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1943078 said:
Random technology (racing) downpipe, LIPP elbow, and Tanabe Hyper Medallion exhaust. With that behind the 60-1 turbonetics bolt-on, it was the quietest exhaust at one of the local meets, from idle all the way to WOT.

The one guilty bit with it is that there's no cat, nor is there a way to add one without replacing the downpipe. I have a really hard time feeling too guilty about that when there are so many diesel pickup trucks out there with the big-ass side exit exhausts, and chipped so that they'll fill my car with soot at every intersection if I happen to be beside them at the light with a window down. They're not as bad for carbon monoxide because diesel simply isn't bad that particular way, but just as bad for NOx and several times worse for HC emissions, enough so that they'll emit more on a single heavy throttle start than I will with my entire tank of fuel. This also takes a lot of the joy out of driving around with the roof off in this city. (We seem to REALLY like our diesel 4X4 trucks up here.) It's impossible to make any kind of difference even in my own neighborhood.

I have that same exhaust with no cat and it is definitely quieter than most, it has a nice tone to it from idle to highway speeds

I also drive a diesel without any emissions and that's because up until 2007 you aren't required to have any. The chips really do improve efficiency, you just have asshats driving around up there, cuz if your smoking people out, yeah it's fun if the guy is a dousche, but your losing efficiency and power when you do.