What Clutch should I buy for my R154?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
First off, I'd like to say Hi to everyone at Supramania its been a while. My 89 Mk3 Turbo is still in storage and I am doing little by little to get it ready to be rebuilt. I've been reading a couple threads and found out that "Spec" Stage 3 clutch and Fidanza flywheel; which I have already purchased, may be a very bad combination. I'm only planning to go about 300hp and use it as a DD. So, is there a possibility that I could still use my Fidanza with a stock clutch or stage 1 from Driftmotion? Should I just resurface my old flywheel and buy OEM Toyota clutch? Eventually the car will go up in power but not anytime soon.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
You can get a 134 30lb can for fairly cheap :)
21lCEqENPgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But in all seriousness I would get a act or center force clutch 6 puck or full face with a stage 2/3 pressure plate. That will be way more then enough clutch with plenty of room to grow. Or if you wanted to go cheap, get a ACT 6 puck and stock pressure plate. I know multiple people local that have made 350 with that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I've been wanting to know this kind of information as well. I'm just wanting to get a good clutch to match with my fidanza that won't weld itself to it whilel i'm dding the car.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
6 puck with stock pp sucks imo. Too much chatter from stops.

Much happier with my 2800 lb pp and 6 puck. Not too stiff either.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
SUPRASTEVE;1869936 said:
I'm only planning to go about 300hp and use it as a DD.
If this is the case, then a stage 2 clutch is a better fit. That is an upgraded pressure plate with a full face clutch disc. This will be much easier on the street compared to a 6 puck, and will still hold 300 WHP easily.

I have a stage 3 clutch, and don't have problems with chatter and whatnot, but apparently, I'm in the minority there.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Personally, I vote there should be a sticky thread with Clutch and flywheel setups describeing drivabilty and affordabilty as well as work or places to get the work done. Even though we are in different states, its good to be pointed in the right direction. On another note, should I use ARP flywheel bolts? They seem too short. I might have gotten the wrong ones.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Yeah, I would like to know this as well. I wonder a stock clutch and my Fidanza would be fine or perhaps a stage 1 and resurfaced flywheel for my setup.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
SUPRASTEVE;1870564 said:
I forgot, i was recharging my AC on my truck so I got R134 on the brain.

[video=youtube;HQfzwFloVqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA[/video]

Oh yeah, I'm running an ACT sprung 6 puck disc on a stock PP and FW. It's hold just fine. I'm on a Garrett 60trim at 16psi and roughly guesstimating I'm around 300rwhp. I have not dynoed yet but my booty dyno feels it. I do however feel the chatter a little when starting out at a lower RPM. Just a little though.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
hvyman;1870541 said:
6 puck with stock pp sucks imo. Too much chatter from stops.

Much happier with my 2800 lb pp and 6 puck. Not too stiff either.

Your going to get chatter from any puck/ceramic combo. They don't like slipping which is probably why the stock one was more chattery cause it was easier release on the pedal pressure.

T3rril79;1870482 said:
I've been wanting to know this kind of information as well. I'm just wanting to get a good clutch to match with my fidanza that won't weld itself to it whilel i'm dding the car.

If your welding clutches either your clutch isn't big enough for your power output or your slipping it way to much/driver error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi SUPRASTEVE,
I have the Action Stage Two clutch kit, the one from Driftmotion that uses the Action 2800 Lbs pp, stock clutch disc, throw out and pilot bearings. It feels very smooth for DD, holds the aprox 333 Lbs feet torque the Supra makes at the fly wheel. I have that clutch kit mated to a lightened Fidanza fly wheel w/ new friction surface. Van

Last edited:

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hmmm, Yeah I was looking at Action Clutch for a while. They used to be affordable and "old skool" back in the 80's when my dad was racing. Thanks to Aaron at DM its alot more than expected but atleast I know I can use it with my Fidanza.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
Suprapowaz!(2);1870568 said:
[video=youtube;HQfzwFloVqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA[/video]

That was funny

Oh yeah, I'm running an ACT sprung 6 puck disc on a stock PP and FW. It's hold just fine. I'm on a Garrett 60trim at 16psi and roughly guesstimating I'm around 300rwhp. I have not dynoed yet but my booty dyno feels it. I do however feel the chatter a little when starting out at a lower RPM. Just a little though.