What Car can you compare to the 89 Supra?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Doward;909428 said:
Lord man! I've got about $5k sunk into my car. Another $9k would have a *premium* example of a MKIII, lol.

Ya, that includes the price of the car and all the maintenance. 9 grand in mods alone would be alot, but I also did body work and extensive maintenance. If I did it again I'd do it all the same. 4 years of ownership and no real issues to speak of.:)

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
this thread is like asking what is better: cats or dogs?

why dont you just test drive both and pick the one you want?

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
I use to own a Camaro V6 3.4L 1995 Drop top. The 3.4L was the only engine offered in 1995. Id atleast get a 3.8L.

All I can say is good luck beating Metros with the 3.4 Maro.

And BTW it would cost you more to do an LT1 swap in to the V6 Camaro, than to actually buy a Z28.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Sawbladz;909411 said:
It will be alot more than that. I'm at ~14000 and I haven't hit 300 whp. However, when I park next to Camaro's, I make them embarrassed.:)

Ha! Unlucky for you. Well not really because I don’t where you spent that money but it must not have been on performance! Hmmm ...... I am putting down 280rwhp on the stock ct 14-15psi.

Stock block, stock style head gasket, I was on stock pipes now I have hard pipes, 3in exhaust, HKS EVC, and SAFC-II.

I have no problems with most v8’s. I beaten few Chargers one was a Hemi and the other was a R/T Daytona, 06 GT Mustang, and few Boxsters.

Not bad for a car that I haven’t spent $3000 on yet and that’s including the purchase.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
CryoSlash;909535 said:
Um, i kid you not. Well, i shouldn't have said 5.0 stang... foxbody stang or w/e they call it.

I think you mean the Mercury Capri. It had some of the same options as the mid 80's mustang. What the other poster said was the Mercury XR4Ti. This car was a German Mercury import, probably the only thing on it related to Ford was the 2.3 turbo motor. It ran OK, typical german engineering. It's brother/sister car was the Mercury Scorpio, a four door with a 2.8 na motor. I drove and worked on plenty of these back in the day, although sales were never good and the car had a short life, both of them were fun to drive.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Had a friend with a 93 5.0 Mustang Auto. Stock vs Stock with my 89 Supra Turbo 5 Speed he only beat me off the line once - when I was futzing with the radio and the light turned green.

Sure... Mustang - if you don't want to turn. Same story with the GN. Going straight is fun and all but try turning. You may like it - or even become addicted to it.

This all depends on what you want to do.

Do you just want to go fast down the 1320? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Do you just want to do the road course or AutoX? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Do you just want to show your car? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Where the Supra shines is the fact that you can do all of the above in a single car and place fairly well.

Jack of all trades. Master of none - but will do pretty darned well at them

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
KeithH;909692 said:
Had a friend with a 93 5.0 Mustang Auto. Stock vs Stock with my 89 Supra Turbo 5 Speed he only beat me off the line once - when I was futzing with the radio and the light turned green.

Sure... Mustang - if you don't want to turn. Same story with the GN. Going straight is fun and all but try turning. You may like it - or even become addicted to it.

This all depends on what you want to do.

Do you just want to go fast down the 1320? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Do you just want to do the road course or AutoX? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Do you just want to show your car? Then the Supra may not be your choice.

Where the Supra shines is the fact that you can do all of the above in a single car and place fairly well.

Jack of all trades. Master of none - but will do pretty darned well at them

Nicely said. :bigthumb:

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Yeah let me put it this way, I drove my supra to school once. That day everyone wanted to see my engine and was admiring my car. Someone else drove their parents v6 camaro, and nobody cared. True story. (But really, the best thing that ever showed up in the parking lot was a quite clean grand prix)

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
camaros and mustangs have more cool appeal in certain parts of the country.. but not many. statistically theyre faster going straight, but when everybody says "yeah drive one and try turning" they arent joking.. especially if you go for the 'mid grade' v8 cars, like the mustang GT- not the cobra, the z28- not the SS, or the firebird- not trans am or ws6.

turning IS a big part of daily driving. when youre strapped to a bagass v8 and you didnt get the car with the handling package, try feathering out of first around corners, and giving the car a LITTLE gas.. hehehe yeahhhh

which brings about another point: if you get sideways in a supra, you bring the car back around and keep going. on a stock midgrade domestic youre gonna be body rolling and fishtailing like a mug.

GET THE SUPRA... DAMNIT! haha

peace

aaron

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Slide: its nothing more then a 3.8 turbo solid axle car. Anything will do that with enough money. But like everyone else says, how will that GN fair around a road course against that bike?

I think the bike would say "see ya" in the first corner and never be seen again.

Those cars a 6 cylinder 3.8 liter cars with no more then 6000rpm. they rely on lots of boost and traction. If a supra could hook up like one of those cars, or even had anywhere near the after market suspension support for drag racing for that matter, they wouldn't be so "great". Those cars just work in drag racing, having big tires, good suspension and big power doesn't mean a thing unless you can make it work together. Thats where supra's are at a disadvantage.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
nosechunks;910207 said:
Slide: its nothing more then a 3.8 turbo solid axle car. Anything will do that with enough money. But like everyone else says, how will that GN fair around a road course against that bike?

I think the bike would say "see ya" in the first corner and never be seen again.

Those cars a 6 cylinder 3.8 liter cars with no more then 6000rpm. they rely on lots of boost and traction. If a supra could hook up like one of those cars, or even had anywhere near the after market suspension support for drag racing for that matter, they wouldn't be so "great". Those cars just work in drag racing, having big tires, good suspension and big power doesn't mean a thing unless you can make it work together. Thats where supra's are at a disadvantage.

In 1995 the V6 camaro only came out with a 3.4L engine, which is even slower. But they are reliable cars for daily driving(I owned one). Many Camaro V6 owners with the 3.4's engines have trouble braking into the 15's in the quarter(It takes allot of work.):aigo:

3.4L camaro Specs::biglaugh:
160hp at The crank
200Tq

They make all their peak toque at 3,600 RPM's

Last edited: