What are the Pros and Cons of Windage Trays or Crank Scrapers

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I'm building a road race 7M, and was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience using windage trays or crank scrapers in a 7M? How useful are either one, to an engine that will only see 6500 RMPs, tops, but be kept in the power curve for most of the time on the track, over 3000 RPMs? I'm not going dry sump.
Thanks, Van

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
Van;1329827 said:
I'm building a road race 7M, and was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience using windage trays or crank scrapers in a 7M? How useful are either one, to an engine that will only see 6500 RMPs, tops, but be kept in the power curve for most of the time on the track, over 3000 RPMs? I'm not going dry sump.
Thanks, Van

A windage try is never really going to hurt you, most modern engines are built with some type of tray in the oil pan, its a good way of preventing any oil sloshing around in your pan from whipping up into the crank while its spinning. Good idea if your car is going to be making any hard high speed turns to make sure the pick up for your oil pump isnt going to catch a moment of air.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
The MKIII can really benefit from a deeper sump, and larger capacity oil pan with better baffling.

There are a few options, some relatively inexpensive (a few hundred bucks), and some very, very costly.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
shaeff;1329842 said:
The MKIII can really benefit from a deeper sump, and larger capacity oil pan with better baffling.

There are a few options, some relatively inexpensive (a few hundred bucks), and some very, very costly.

Could you elaborate on what you would do to make the Oil Pan better ive got a good condition oil pan that i would love to make better.

Thanks

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've increased the capacity of the oil pan, by two quarts, and had swinging baffles added as well.
What I really need to know; will the 7M crank scraper being sold on SIP Racing, do the job it was designed for, or don't waste my time and money? Thanks, Van
shaeff;1329842 said:

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Van, since it seems you already have the pan/pickup portion figured out, I think the scraper should compliment it nicely. As I'm sure you're aware, the scraper helps get a lot of oil off the crank and prevents that "roping" of oil from where it should be. Now, I havent actually physically tried one of Rich's scrapers, I would think Rich is on point with clearances/fit and finish, etc., but I'm sure he could answer that with a few pics. Windage trays are proven power "makers", so that would only help more, but AFAIK no one makes anything like that for the 7m and would need to be custom. I assume you've also gone through replacing the stock cooler system also with something more appropriate?

As far as i'm concerned, theres no cons to oil control, only pros :)

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm installing one of the Setrab Standard oil coolers in the system, 13 row, and oil temp gauge. Van
Slow66;1330019 said:
Van, since it seems you already have the pan/pickup portion figured out, I think the scraper should compliment it nicely. As I'm sure you're aware, the scraper helps get a lot of oil off the crank and prevents that "roping" of oil from where it should be. Now, I havent actually physically tried one of Rich's scrapers, I would think Rich is on point with clearances/fit and finish, etc., but I'm sure he could answer that with a few pics. Windage trays are proven power "makers", so that would only help more, but AFAIK no one makes anything like that for the 7m and would need to be custom. I assume you've also gone through replacing the stock cooler system also with something more appropriate?

As far as i'm concerned, theres no cons to oil control, only pros :)

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
For some reason I was thinking the stock pan had a windage tray. It's been a while since I took one apart though. Agreed, both will be helpful, I've been wondering the same Van since I'm hoping to resuurect an engine prep soon. My concerns are the same, fitment and clearance. Hopefully it's something the machine shop can give some advice on (whether or not the scraper looks like it'll work properly)
Slow is right on, that kind of change can free up some power.
Brian

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ishihara Johnson made me a Teflon scraper for my 7M crank that worked well, I was running it in a Group A Pan towards the end so it was a bit "Belt and Braces" I did a crank swap and sold it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sorry dude, I'm anti-replication of rare parts. What some of us spend thousands on for function or form, others are getting for pennies, and as such, making our hard to find parts worth a whole lot less.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
shaeff;1334968 said:
Sorry dude, I'm anti-replication of rare parts. What some of us spend thousands on for function or form, others are getting for pennies, and as such, making our hard to find parts worth a whole lot less.

ok then how about i just make my own and not sell it, kinda sucks if more than 2/3 of us are stuck with stock oil pans that really arent that good while others have what 11 of the group A pans. And I didnt specifically mean replicate Group A pans just get a pan made similar to a group A pan, or something better than stock. Then youll still be able to show off youve got a rare part and everyones happy.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
JDMMA70;1335101 said:
ok then how about i just make my own and not sell it, kinda sucks if more than 2/3 of us are stuck with stock oil pans that really arent that good while others have what 11 of the group A pans. And I didnt specifically mean replicate Group A pans just get a pan made similar to a group A pan, or something better than stock. Then youll still be able to show off youve got a rare part and everyones happy.

I'm sure it would be difficult to make an exact replica anyway, it's magnesium. In any case, there are a few guys out there who make something similar. I believe drjonez makes a larger capacity steel oil pan, which might have extra baffling.

I understand exactly how you feel, though I generally don't show off my stuff. I get it to make me happy. :) I don't care what others think of my car. Contact drjonez and see if he still makes them, that would likely be your best bet. :)