Whaletail "seam-split" issue? (ShineAutoProject version)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Anyone else having the seam-split issue? Mine is separating at that horizontal seam (above driver's side taillight, maybe about 5-6 inches long) and I would like to know if anyone else has successfully fixed it? Maybe some type of epoxy? Write-up?

I emailed ShineAutoProject, but haven't heard back.

Would just like to fix it, or keep it from getting any larger.

WhaletailCrack.jpg

Thanks,
E

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have a few things available, so want to try to fix myself. I have left-over Fibrefill from when I filled in the front nosepiece, and have another couple of epoxies that say they are good for "plastics."

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You might try talking to Rodel on here, he seems to be the best contact for Shine.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
My shine whale tail was cracked like that when it first arrived to me from shine. I have yet to install it or repair it though.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
...I am thinking fiberglass/resin. PMed Rodel today to see if maybe Shine can recommended a "best way."

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I'm sorry that you guys are having issues with your whale tails. These splits are normally caused by the handling during the shipment process. When a damaged part is received, a customer should contact Shine asap after receiving the part so Shine could file a claim with the shipper. Shine is pretty good with resolving issues for customers.

According to Shine, the solution to fixing the split is to drill a hole on the whale tail and pour resin in.

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Thanks, sounds easy enuff. Got mine way-too-far-long ago to worry Shine about it. I'll get this knocked out along with my other Winter projects. Much appreciated!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Just gettin' around to getting this done... Anyone else already fixed their split? Pics, tips?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Mine was also cracked same spot. I drilled a hole at either end of the crack to stop it from spreading, then I resined it and fill puttied the imperfections.