Weighed my 88T yesterday...........

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
damn. i gotta get my car weighed:

86.5 hardtop, no spoiler, no antenna, no charcoal canister, no A/C, no cruise control, no spare, no jack, lightweight flywheel (hey, it counts!), various other bits and pieces removed... and i only weigh like 130lbs...

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff said:
damn. i gotta get my car weighed:

86.5 hardtop, no spoiler, no antenna, no charcoal canister, no A/C, no cruise control, no spare, no jack, lightweight flywheel (hey, it counts!), various other bits and pieces removed... and i only weigh like 130lbs...

-shaeff
Not to mention the "SpeedHoles" ;)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Only thing I have in the inside of my car is 2 seats, dashboard and door panels...hmm...but then again, i'm a big boy so that doesn't help any :(

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I may try to weigh soon, I just took out the backseats and a couple other things. I would be happy with anything under 3500. (fingers crossed)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
An 87-92 Supra turbo weighs from the factory with everything about 3550. The automatic and sport roof options put some over 3600 lbs. The standard Supra with the 7MGE weighed in just over 3400 lbs.

If you really are into dropping weight due to competition, dump the power steering, air conditioning, power antenna, and other useless items.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
my 92 1j auto targa is just about 3500 lbs.i replaced the leather with recaro interior.abs and ecu gone,air bag and ecu gone,ac gone,aluminum ds,charcoal canister gone,no spare tire,low gas

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Your car weighed 3240 with just a catback, and backseat removed??

Lets try to make some sense out of this. An 87-88 hardtop according to C&D magazine weighs 3588 pounds with a full tank of gas(108 pounds). Empty the gas=3480, minus the back seat(35lbs)=3445, minus the catback(30lbs)=3415.

Is there something you not telling us?

Proficio

Better eat your Wheaties!
Apr 4, 2005
Houston/Woodville
MRSUPRA said:
Your car weighed 3240 with just a catback, and backseat removed??

Lets try to make some sense out of this. An 87-88 hardtop according to C&D magazine weighs 3588 pounds with a full tank of gas(108 pounds). Empty the gas=3480, minus the back seat(35lbs)=3445, minus the catback(30lbs)=3415.

Is there something you not telling us?

Whoooaaaa..............the only MAJOR things I didn't have installed was the catback and the backseats.

I wasn't even looking to have a "lightweight supra". It was kinda by accident. We were going to dyno on Friday but the dyno closed early. We weighed our cars because we were bored.

I never even thought I could get my car this light.............so I wasn't even trying. This weight came as a complete shock to me!!!

I guess I have removed alot of stuff over the last 5 years of tearing her down and putting her back together but like I said nothing major. Still got ac, ps, spare tire, abs, full interior(minus rear seats, I did replace stock power leather front seats w/non power cloth). Im sure the FD rims help, they are much lighter then the sawblades

Oh yea, the cat back definitely weighs more then 35 pounds.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"Whoooaaaa..............the only MAJOR things I didn't have installed was the catback and the backseats."

Yeah, thats why I'm so surprised on how light it is. You lost a good chunk of weight with those FD wheels, at least 6-7 pounds per wheel.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
im no expert on scales but most tend to not be accurate at their extremes. like you said, your friends car didnt even register on one scale right? thats because these scales are designed to be accurate with much heavier weights (cabs with trailers....) obviously youre at the extreme low for the accuracy of these scales.

thats just my speculation of course.

Proficio

Better eat your Wheaties!
Apr 4, 2005
Houston/Woodville
lagged said:
im no expert on scales but most tend to not be accurate at their extremes. like you said, your friends car didnt even register on one scale right? thats because these scales are designed to be accurate with much heavier weights (cabs with trailers....) obviously youre at the extreme low for the accuracy of these scales.

thats just my speculation of course.

Your absolutely right, however Joes car weighed exactly the same on both scales, to the pound. I believe the numbers to be right.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I belive the targa v/s non targa cars are more of a difference than the "official" numbers to be sure. (Toyota admitted that in the intrest of safety and long term strutural reliability, they over built the Supra, especially the Targa version. This was from the guy in charge of design, in a Car and Driver article from the 80's.)

Mine weighed in with me in it, and two boxes of tools at just over 3800lbs a few years ago. (Stock 88T 5speed Targa.)

If I was going to build up the lightest MK3, start with a non ABS, Non TEMS hardtop NA. Remove everything but the seats, plexiglas the quarters, speed hole drill out the unibody where possible, and then foam what's left to try and keep it strong enough. There is lots of metal you can remove in the inner door shells, inner rockers, crossmembers and other places you can get to with a hole saw. Just be carefull and don't make the car so weak it's going to kill you in a crash. (I'd only go wild if I added a cage into this structure, then removed much of the extra metal in places where it will not create leaks, or obvious structure problems.)

I bet you could get a MK3 under 3000lbs with the right mods, even with a cage. But, it would not be a car you'd want to drive more than across town with in the end.

Far less work to just add more power, and keep the luxury and sound deadening in my opinion. :)

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Proficio said:
Your absolutely right, however Joes car weighed exactly the same on both scales, to the pound. I believe the numbers to be right.

bingo. my car was weighed at both places (especially after the 2 light weights went) and it came out the same. 3580 to the pound. it was even accurate when they got me the first time and i wanted a reweigh because they got the car with me stand ing on the scale!
i weigh 160
car weighs -3580
total with me - 3740

see Curtis? i knew me getting weighed again would be a good thing! :):evil2: :biglaugh:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
My 91 turbo targa weighed in at 3620 without me in it spare tire and tools in it as well

My buddies 86.5 gte swapped weighed 3460

My other buddies 92 240 w/ a sr weighed in at 2780.. damn i wish i was light like that..

all without drivers..