We should petition to have these guys make coilovers for our cars...

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Do these guys actually make the coilovers, or do they just use the same generic design like most coilovers in this price bracket?

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
DonS1mpson;1810837 said:
Do these guys actually make the coilovers, or do they just use the same generic design like most coilovers in this price bracket?

i now they specialize in rebuilding coilovers, but for the most part only do so for a limited group of coilovers. and all coilovers are pretty much the same just painted and shaped differently. aside from the different spring rate and adjustments of course. and they have parts to rebuild them im sure they can source the parts to build them

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
The Powered by Max coilovers are IMO the best bang for buck, especially if you want an incredible range of height adjustment, which is something many others struggle with.

If you want properly damped/valved coilovers, then those $2500 KWs are the way to go.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
maxs max height is several inches lower then stock which is why Anthony hows testing them out is raising his subframes to correct suspension geometery. also stances can go just as low as maxs

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
link?

Incorrect AFAIK in regards to Stance.. there are several with Stance/HSDs that have commented on not being able to get the rear as low as the front. Raising sub-frames to correct suspension geometry?.. :squint:

Who is Anthony? o_O ( you in the third person?)

All of the people I know with PBMs, Supra, SC and/or 240sx owners alike, are plenty happy with them. Plus, they are cheaper than Stance/HSDs.. But if you really need that extra height (stock level or near it), then I suppose they aren't for you. What's confusing me the most is why you would need that though. Also, "several inches" is a bit of an exaggeration regardless of how it's interpreted.

Last edited:

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?153196-It-s-here!-Part-Shop-Max!/page2

second page and second post is were the subject gets brought up (by kai and later IJ) and no its not me but a different anthony

i have stances and ive dropped it so low that i terrorized my mud flaps (was wondering about the hype of being hella slammed and soon found out its an inconvenient and kinda stupid especially when you cant get in your own drive way). not sure about the even height drop but at my current height which is about and inch between tire and fender in the front and rear on 16in rims i now i still can go lower

im not saying that max isnt excellent coilovers in fact id prefer their spring rate then that of my stances but the current design will require you to modify your subframe if you want to use them to their max capability

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Alright, well I can see where everything managed to get derailed.. basically, that entire threads rant on PBMs comes from folks wanting to slam their cars to the deck or at least pretty damn low. This brings us to the point of having to mod sub-frames, which would allow the angles of the suspension arms to be within the desired settings (designed) for better/optimal handling.

I suggested the PBMs not for that purpose, but rather for folks wanting to be able to go lower than the majority of other coilovers. For instance, I have Kei Office and can slam the hell out of the front of my car without issue (I'm not interested in such btw), but the rears run out of lower perch height adjustment at about .5"-1" above the tire (dissatisfying). Well, I'm in the process of shortening the shocks on mine, but the PBMs solve this issue right off the bat by allowing a large range of adjustment. At highest setting, they will place the car about .5" over the tire (~where mine maxed out the first day I installed them), and for where I live that would be just fine. There are always exceptions...

Lastly, I'm not discounting what you have said, but I've heard some mixed things about Stance/HSD as of late, hence my decision to recommend these instead. What things have I heard? mostly quality control issues with top mounts and some other random stuff. On the other hand, I hear nothing but great reviews about the PBMs, the stiffer spring rates, and price at $2-300 cheaper.

In the end, it's an opinion, and we are thankfully all entitled to them. However, to prove a point in regards to being open minded, and to show one would be fine with either choice: I recommended Stance GR+s to my friend with a Soarer (he installed them at the end of last year), and they have been great on that car.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
If you are going to sink 2500 for coilovers like KW

Look at Penske and get it valved correctly.

the adjustability is as useful as a case of hemeroids. You have the adjustability but unless you can GRAPH every single setting, you might as well not even bother. The other questions is are wat exactly are the adjustments affecting.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
KWs are valved specifically for each application, hence the price and technology.. There are plenty of other options though for cheaper: Penske, Koni, Bilstein, etc.