Want to start drifting

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
I want to get started in some entry level drifting. I was thinking tein ss coilovers and a 2 way kaaz. If you drift an mk3 i could use some advise on setup; any input on coilovers and diffs feel free to post your experience with them.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a buddy who has a 240 and I am sure I don't have to tell you that the S-Chassis owns the drift scene. He will be drifting as well. The best way to start drifting is to learn how to bring the rear end out from under you. Nothing crazy, just learn how to control the spin.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
find a wet parking lot and just clutch kick while turning in 1st gear, just practice, theres no other way to get the car when its sideways then actually doing it, its fun bro

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
Yea i go sideways alot but i wanna do it on the track now or at least try. I wanted an s14 for getting into drifting but i found a pretty good deal on my car and here in mn you cant find 240s anywhere

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
wait for rain... find parking lot... floor gas in 2nd.. repeat until you can hold, control, and change the line of the drift on the fly.. the MKIII IMHO is a badass drifter, because of the long wheel base once it's sideways it's SUPER easy to control.. what I might say to you is some coils and maybe a different rear diff, other then that the car is great for going sideways :)

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
My 7M stalled on me more than once when drifting. Well it actually happened when I spun out. I believe it was because the momentum starved the engine of oil. I tried everything. Putting it in neutral, holding the clutch in... But when I spun around too fast it would stall.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
planemos;1805403 said:
My 7M stalled on me more than once when drifting. Well it actually happened when I spun out. I believe it was because the momentum starved the engine of oil. I tried everything. Putting it in neutral, holding the clutch in... But when I spun around too fast it would stall.

check your fuel pump.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
My stock non-turbo MK3 with open diff drifts pretty good. :) The near 50/50 weight distribution helps the MK3's stability, but you still need to fine-tune the suspension/alignment/camber etc to help. Other wise your car could become upset mid-drift because of minor bumps. Just be careful because such settings tend to make the car "twitchy" and you don't want to be breaking into a drift on a highway on-ramp... or do you? ;)

First things first. Learn how to initiate a drift. There are several ways. One is to pull the e-brake while clutching, then drop the e-brake, give it some gas and dump the clutch to keep the wheels broken loose. Another way it to transfer the vehicle weight. Say you're going into a left hand turn; quickly turn the wheel a little to the left, then back to the right and the moment you feel the weight settle on the left side of the vehicle, very quickly snap the wheel back to the left and the rear end *should* snap loose, at which point you need to get on the gas and counter-steer immediately. All of this happens super-quick, so you need to be on your toes and practice practice practice. Also, practice transferring from drifting one direction to another seamlessly. From what I've seen, the judges like to see drifts initiated while still on the straight before entering the turn and continuing the drift into and throughout the turn. So I would also practice initiating a drift while keeping the car traveling in a straight line as long as possible, then allowing it to rotate and hold the drift throughout a turn/corner.

All much easier said than done. It's one thing to "power slide" and another to drift. Most people just give gas part-way around a corner to kick the back end out and think that is drifting. That's actually far from it.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Tein SS is going to be too soft for drifting. I suggest going with Stance.

KAAZ 2 way is deff a good option, it is what I have been running for the past 4 years or so.

Your mod order should be: coilovers, diff, seat, steering wheel, wheels/tires

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I suggest going to the Elko Raceway MAP drift days this summer- cheap entry, no chance of getting pulled over, decent time to practice, not to mention how many 'better' drifters are there. Good stuff!

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Get some shitty tires you don't need and find a gravel parking lot or twisting gravel road that isnt traveled too often and just pop the clutch and work on controlling it. It's easier to work on sliding especially if you have a fairly open gravel parking lot that you can slide around in. But it will tear the tires up pretty bad too. Fun stuff though lol

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Stance would be good, you don't need a 2way to get started. Either get a N/A 4.30 open and weld it, or get a stock LSD rear and a Weir Performance Max Grip kit and solid pinion spacer and have your diff rebuilt and properly shimmed, it'll be good enough and be WAY cheaper than buying a Kaaz.

If your car is stick, make sure you have a good clutch. Use some shitty tires unless you don't mind burning up your tires. Make sure you're in a flat, empty parking lot and STAY AWAY FROM LIGHT POLES. Just get used to the feel of throwing the car around. Proceed from there.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Practicing on gravel is fine to get the feel of going sideways, but once you get on pavement, you'll realize how much more aggressive you have to be because of the extra grip compared to gravel. Using crappy old hard-as-rock bald tires makes it easier. :)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
You don't need to spend thousands on a fancy diff and coilover suspension to start drifting. Actually, spending thousands of dollars on fancy parts as a beginner sounds like a horrible idea. Why on earth spend $$$ on a LSD when there are countless of beginners that have started off and moved up to a Semi pro level using welded diff that'd cost what? $50?

The lock isn't too fantastic on MK3s either so some rack spacers might be an idea too.

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
personally i think rims and tires are a must fro someone drifting. tire flex just leads to unpredictably and is much harder to drift with imo. find some cheap 17s,u can find 17" used tires fairly cheap.

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
I'd start by finding a track day and practicing there. You need to know how the car is and what you want it to be. There are many many coilover options out there so do your research.. you don't need the coilover that drops your car the lowest

But yah.. you need to practice more then modifying the car right now.. Track days will hopefully bring some good people out who will be willing to help you out with learning. I would plan on either a rebuild or a swap in the future. I've seen people torn between the driftability of a 7m.. I've personally seen a couple well taken care of/rebuilt 7m's turn out not so great while drifting but it's your choice.. I've seen some online who claim to be okay