W58 clutch options ~ 375 ft lbs

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey everyone, I'm in the final stages of parts gathering for my turbo swap. I have a newly rebuilt w58 that I will be using. DO NOT TELL ME TO SWITCH TO AN R154! I am sticking with the w58 and that's that.

Now I'm seeing a few aftermarket clutch options available, but can't get much of any specific info on them relating to the mk3. Some companies claim a generic gripping gain, but it's a very vague, generic number.

Does anyone have experience with a w58 and roughly 350-400 ft-lbs of power? I'll be starting mostly stock, but the target is about that power level so I want a clutch that can handle that. All i've read about so far is that the stock clutch will go out with upgraded boost in no time.

So far I've seen options from centerforce, Spec, RPS and ACT. I'm on a budget, but I definitely want to get something that will last. I would like to avoid the 6 puck clutches as this is and will be my daily driver in rush hour traffic and all.

Thanks for any info and once again... DO NOT TELL ME TO SWITCH TO AN R154! ;)

-Andy

CLIFFS:
turbo swap using w58. What clutch should I use for a DD and 375 ft-lbs?

Last edited:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'm just about to switch to an exedy, with upgraded PP, I'll let you know how that goes..

by the way, I heard the stock clutch will slip even at stock boost.!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Spec clutches so far. Either stage 3 or 2+. The 2+ is only 340 ft-lbs, but should be enough for my likely power level. I'm also considering the w-58 might not like much more than ~350 ft-lbs before it grenades and I'd like to be able to romp on it without worrying about it taking a dump.

I'm thinking the full faced clutches would be MUCH nicer to drive daily, but I've never driven a 6-puck. Anyone have experience with both in similar applications? Is the 6-puck rigid and annoying in traffic?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have a spec stage 3 with my w58 on basic upgrades, stock boost, rebuilt engine. Holds fine, doesnt feel like it will slip anytime soon, though i havent tried turning up the boost. The pedal is also very reasonable, felt nearly the same as my stock NA clutch surprisingly. Engagement is a little rough sometimes but nothing unbearable by any means.

snomangsx901237

Oct 16, 2007
Fall River, Ma
My recommendation would be a competition stage 4. I'm currently running it on my car with very good results. Holding 463 whp and close to 400 ftlbs. This is on my daily driver that gets about 500 miles a week. I'm using the 6puck but you can get a full face disc. Very happy and the pedal feel is very close to factory. Perfect for traffic situations.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Can't say for those power levels, but I was pushing round-about 300rwhp/300rwtq on a Clutchmasters Stage 3 w/ Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel for quite a while. (this was a few years back) I later installed a wicked custom ball bearing CT26 that hauled like a goddamn freight train, much faster than the stock CT @15psi with the 300/300, but I can't give anything more than an estimate of 350+rwhp. I only ran it like that for about a month before the turbo died, but my clutch hadn't slipped yet, and when I pulled the tranny (w58) there were no signs of clutch slipping or excess heat on the PP/FW.

I love the w58, I just wish it was built stronger. I'd still have one.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Thank you for all your input guys. I carefully considered the Spec, competition, ACT, and clutchmasters and I decided on the ts3-xtmm from ACT. It can hold 350 ft-lbs and is a full face disc.

The other companies had very similar offerings in the same price range so in the end it was a toss up. But this is the clutch that will be responsible for holding the power in my baby...

disc_MM_lg.jpg

pp_XT_lg.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yep, I went with Competition Clutch stage 2.

It's held up fantastic so far. Minimum chatter (only really notice it in reverse or creeping up hills in parking lots) and it feels strong. so far 12,000 miles and 7-10 psi consistently and it still feels new. I'm a happy customer. FUll face design and by their specs, it should hold all the power the w58 can hold in stock fashion. :)

art_43.jpg

Stage 2 - Street Series 2100 Clutch Kit
This assembly provides an estimated 80% increase in torque capacity and is properly suited for aggressive street use and moderate track use. The Carbon Kevlar material with its alloy backing matched to a performance pressure plate will provide smooth engagement and extended life. 500 mile break-in highly recommended with this set-up. 300 mile break-in REQUIRED with this set-up. (Some kits may not be supplied with all pieces. Please verify with Competition Clutch before ordering).

The 2100 Series kit includes a performance pressure plate, a high torque sprung disc with antiburst steel backed Carbon Kevlar facings, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The thing that i dont like about the competition clutch is they don't guarantee a torque rating..

My clutch is toast, it slips terribly and knocks. I will be ordering the ACT Ts1-HDG6 clutch kit pretty soon. Supposedly there clutch's use no stock parts, because of there tooling its all done in house.
I am worried about how the 6 puck will be on the street. When i used to work at jiffy lube i drove alot of modified cars with pretty crazy clutchs. With the little time i drove them i never had an issue so i "think" ill be fine.

Last edited:

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The clutch is in and i like it! There is about 300 miles on it so far of all city driving. It does chatter in first but once your moving upshifts and downshifts are like butter. I think i can cut the chatter down by replacing my worn out center driveshaft bearing and beefing up the transmission mount somehow.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The only thing that puts me off on the 6-puck disks is that there's alot more shock, which is no good when you're already pushing the limits of the trans. I wonder if the Comp Clutch Stage 2 (stock style disc) uses the same pressure plate as the Stage 4 (six puck). I'm using a stage 4 with a stock disc and it has been holding fine (unless I repeatedly abusively launch, then it heats up and slips, but recovers). I need to replace the clutch now though, as I traced my vibration problem to it (that's in another thread). Guess I'm going to send an email to Comp and see what they say.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
You can slip a 6 puck just like a full face. As long as you get a sprung disc and your not dumping the clutch at redline youll be fine.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Fwiw, my car is running 11 psi and my clutch has held perfect with no single instance of slip. Ever. At all.
I'd have a really hard time justifying any 6 puck clutch on a stock Trans.

Not saying its a bad idea, but when the full face clutch offers the holding power to just about all a w58 can handle, I don't know why you would suffer the annoyance of a 6 puck for an extra few ft lbs which make your w58 closer to a grenade... Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
My trans was just rebuilt :) . If i had a choice to buy another clutch with the same rating it would be a 6 puck. The engagement just feels better to me when your driving. :dunno:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I've had 6-pucks before, and if you try to slip them any more than when you're casually pulling away from a stop sign, they shudder and grab horribly. I blew a trans in my eclipse trying to slip a 6-puck to get on boost faster in 3rd gear. It shuddered and ripped all the teeth off the gear.

If you never try to slip the clutch like that it might be ok if the disk is sprung. The springs might cushion it enough to prevent shocking the gears too much. Maybe.

I just noticed the comp stage 2 has a kevlar disk, so that's out for me. I hate kevlar clutches. They don't handle abuse even as well as a stock disk.

I might just end up buying a CC stage 4 again and running a stock disc with it, again.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
CyFi6;1561586 said:
I have a spec stage 3 with my w58 on basic upgrades, stock boost, rebuilt engine. Holds fine, doesnt feel like it will slip anytime soon, though i havent tried turning up the boost. The pedal is also very reasonable, felt nearly the same as my stock NA clutch surprisingly. Engagement is a little rough sometimes but nothing unbearable by any means.

Just thought I would add that I have done a number of upgrades since this post and made 375 rwhp and 389 rwtq on this clutch, still no signs of slipping. I run the car pretty hard on the street and have done a number of quarter mile passes without issue, this car is also my daily. Will let you know what happens when I get some slicks at the track though lol. The clutch is a sprung 6 puck btw.