Valve lash measurement results.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
SO I just measured my valve lashed tonight and the results are quite scary. This is with a fresh rebuild with about 600 miles on it. Looks like the machin shop f@cked up.

Here they are from piston 1-6

Exhaust:
1a..008 1b..011 2a..016 2b..015 3a..018 3b..018 4a..017 4b..016 5a..014 5b..014 6a..012 6b..011

Intake:
1a..NA 1b...007 2a..012 2b..014 3a..015 3b..015 4a..015 4b..015 5a..012 5b..011 6a..010 6b..009

This measurements indicate that All of them are off according to TSRM requirements. I'm mad at the machine shop as I paid 560 for the head job.

This is done with the vehicle Cold (overnight) and measured in inches. The 1a (NA) measurement has no clearance. I would say about .002 as the lowest of .005 wouldn't even go through.

This is my first valve adjustment job on a Supra.. and I'm very confused on what to do next. I haven't measured the shim thickness yet as the clearance is weird. Some expertise help is GREATLY appreciated so I can get this squared away. Thanks.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
IJ.;1459955 said:
If it's 0 clearence I predict a burnt valve in your immediate future :(

That would suck so so so bad. Thank goodness it's only been 600 miles. What do you guys think about the clearance? Normal?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Hmong_1G;1459953 said:
I know. Zum your from Sacramento.... My motor was built by Cascar.

Sad part is. They used to be a good shop when they used to do Florin Road Toyotas work.

Pearl Performance is what i would have went with in that area....

But when you did the head work; was a valve job done? Did they ask for specs so they could adjust valve lash via playing musical shims and "butting" the valves?

But yea man.....Thats a sure fire way to burn a valve

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Damn, those are all a little tight. I'd double check your measurement and then maybe ask the shop if they checked any of the clearances.

If those measurements are accurate you need to get a lot of thinner shims.

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
i had the same problem. spent $370 on my cylinder head to have lash set and the valves sealed. Put my motor together and fired it up, and it ran great except for a slight knocking/ticking sound from the intake side of the head, figuring it would probly go away, about 600 miles later my head has symptoms of burnt valves. I know the machinist tho and he said when i rebuilt it again he will give me free labor.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Well Cascar is being assholes about the situation. I thought most of the valve lash are not within specs? I mean besides the 0 gap one which of course is obvious. Looks like I will need thicker ones.. but only after I do thickness. I asked them twice if the valves were adjusted properly and set. They said ... Yep... and a much more tense YEP.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
^^^ either keep on there ass, to make it right. Or tell them to fuck off, and tell them your NOT recommending their shop to any one (friend or fo) ,matter of fact, avoid them like the plague. Then re-shim them your self, it's not that hard to do now that you have your starting point.

One more thing, did they provide you with any sort of written warranty or statement that what they do/build will be correct ? If not should have been a sing not to use them.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
92nsx;1460071 said:
^^^ either keep on there ass, to make it right. Or tell them to fuck off, and tell them your NOT recommending their shop to any one (friend or fo) ,matter of fact, avoid them like the plague. Then re-shim them your self, it's not that hard to do now that you have your starting point.

One more thing, did they provide you with any sort of written warranty or statement that what they do/build will be correct ? If not should have been a sing not to use them.

Yea. They seem fine... well lets say... installed oil scraper wrong... end up tearing it out myself on the car ( drop subframe) and now valve out of specs. The thing is I got a recommendation for a SM member.

Alright SO now this is my first reading off my first shim

Going off ISNMS worksheet.

New shim = old shim + ( measurement- .0079)
0.128 = 0.118 + (0.018 - .0079)

Make note this is done in inches.

Does this sound correct?

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Who the hell reccomended CasCar?

Why didn't you ask Ron, me, or Eric; or post a big thread (you also could have borrowed Ron's timing plate when i had it)??

I'd have recommended My Machinist, MotorMachine, Pearl Performance, Mothers, O'Donnell Trucking, or Rex Hutchison. If you were willing to travel to the bay area I know two better shops out there one in Hayward, and one in Newark.

I've spoken with almost every machine shop in Sacramento, and decided to go with my guy because he knew what he was doing, and cost was very reasonable as a package.

Edit:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99942&highlight=Machine+shop+Sacramento

Shit. You did. Sorry i didn't chime in. :(

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
I forgot who.. but it was a member on here. I'm sorry.. and yes I did use the forum for information. Its alright... whats done is done.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I bought a brand new rebuilt head from Dallas and my valves were out of whack also. I called up bitchin and they said once I find out the exact specs of the shims that they would send them to me no charge. Sure enough they sent them with no problems. I also suggest getting the special tool to take them out. A heck of a lot easier than removing the cams. There is someone on here selling it for I think 60 bucks. Makes the job easy as pie. Check the listing of companies selling things. I think that is where I saw it.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
toyzforme;1460284 said:
I bought a brand new rebuilt head from Dallas and my valves were out of whack also. I called up bitchin and they said once I find out the exact specs of the shims that they would send them to me no charge. Sure enough they sent them with no problems. I also suggest getting the special tool to take them out. A heck of a lot easier than removing the cams. There is someone on here selling it for I think 60 bucks. Makes the job easy as pie. Check the listing of companies selling things. I think that is where I saw it.

Yes the tool seems like a good one to have around when owning any toyota. I on the other hand found a easy way of using three screwdrivers. I will contact the shop on monday and make extreme fussing and yapping.