V8 Supras

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
wow I wish I could source a 26B, are you able to get a hold of one over there in Australia Ian?

Has anyone installed a sequential gearbox in a supra? that could be fun...

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
sweetlikechutny;1241972 said:
wow I wish I could source a 26B, are you able to get a hold of one over there in Australia Ian?

Good luck.... The 26b was never released to the public.. They were only build for the factory race teams.. Mazda will sell the block housing parts to the public but that is it, no internals IIRC, they are standard 13b and 20b parts.... There is a company in either NZ or AU that makes E-Shafts and all the other parts to build one yourself but its costly.. IIRC just the part that you need that you cant get from mazda was like 5 or 6 grand so add that to the rest of the stuff and your proabably easily up in the 10 grand range..

One thing that I have seen done that was pretty cool and was powerful as hell was a homebrew twin turbo charged 24a.. well thats what you could call it.. It was 2 12a engines joined together.. It was pretty long and would be hard to fit into anything... After seeing it, I was thinking about doing one for shits and giggles cause 12a's are cheap and easy to come by...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sweetlikechutny;1241972 said:

No as Chris said they're Race engine, would be cool though!

cjsupra90;1242033 said:
Good luck.... The 26b was never released to the public.. They were only build for the factory race teams.. Mazda will sell the block housing parts to the public but that is it, no internals IIRC, they are standard 13b and 20b parts.... There is a company in either NZ or AU that makes E-Shafts and all the other parts to build one yourself but its costly.. IIRC just the part that you need that you cant get from mazda was like 5 or 6 grand so add that to the rest of the stuff and your proabably easily up in the 10 grand range..

One thing that I have seen done that was pretty cool and was powerful as hell was a homebrew twin turbo charged 24a.. well thats what you could call it.. It was 2 12a engines joined together.. It was pretty long and would be hard to fit into anything... After seeing it, I was thinking about doing one for shits and giggles cause 12a's are cheap and easy to come by...
Saw the vid of that running in a workshop was impressed, a bud sent me a vid of a ski race boat with a Turbo rotary in it WHAT A WEAPON! :)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ian, are you talking about a vidio of a runnig so called 24a engine???? I'd like to see that...

The one that I say was actually in person and it was in a rail type chassis drag car....

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
As an old school BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) guy I just have to bust this on SAS

There is no such thing as a Nailhead 350 from Buick ;) The Nailhead was originally a 264ci motor, they DID build a 364ci motor, but the majority of Nailheads were a 401ci or 425ci motor.

Oh, and btw - your motor IS NOT a Nailhead. How can I tell? Here's a Nailhead Buick - notice the valve covers (and why the motor got the name!):
401Buick.jpg

Notice that the valve covers stand straight up - the valves are 100% vertical, and likened to 'nails' so they called it the Nailhead ;)

No, what you have there is a very long stroke run of the mill standard Buick 350ci motor. 3.800" bore x 3.850" stroke, as I recall.

There's no aftermarket to build that motor to spin as high as you'd need to to make 600rwhp through an automagic. The 2.995" mains kills that.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
cjsupra90;1241450 said:
No, I agree with you IAN if it will do what you want it to do, then go with it... My grudge is strickly agains GM... I have several family members that work for GM and I dont like or agree with GM's practices (hell, any of the BIG 3 for that matter)... and even more so the UNION's.... They pay and give way too much to thier employes for and they dont do shit for work for what they make.. The Corp. employes are even worse... And they have to awdasity to ask for a bailout... Fuck them and bullshit ways.... I'll even bet that they us some of the bailout money to fund NASCAR which is even more bullshit cause that has nothing to do with the cars that they produce or R&D for anything they produce unlike F1...

Again, I have no issue with mixing manufactures, my problem is just with GM, FORD, and Chrysler corp... Dont get me wrong, the LSx engines are great engines but I will not promote or advertise anything that has to do with GM...

I totally agree with you 100%!! I believe they made some GOOD, QUALITY cars some time ago...until 1973. Then it went all kaput after the oil embargo and smog regulations. Then, they went and built CRAP for the next 35 years and expect us to pay a cheap or decent price for them, but REPEATEDLY pay out the wazoo to keep them on the road - unless you're a mechanic - until we decide to sell or trade them in - AT A FAR MORE DEPRECIATED VALUE THAN NEW - for NEWER ones!
And repeat the cycle!!

And this is no disrespect to the mechanics on the forum...
But they STARTED making them more "compact" and STOPPED making them easier to work on - like they used to be - so we HAVE to take them to mechanics and dealers for even MINOR repairs and maintenance!!
Why?
Because they HAD to make more compact, efficient, economic cars to compete with Japan's BIG THREE: HONDA, TOYOTA, AND NISSAN!!
Why?
Because they were taking over their sales! Japanese QUALITY, ECONOMY and PRICE were becoming the best in the country.
Why?
Because they chose to do what the Big Three STOPPED doing. Choosing QUALITY over QUANTITY. If it wasn't for worldwide law enforcement agencies, domestic rental car companies, livery and cab companies, (and the poor folks who didn't know any better) they would have BEEN went under!

And I also believe GREED was the motivating factor for all their cars lacking reliability. I believe they sold their cars at a cheaper price than the competition so we couldn't resist buying them. They built cars they KNEW wouldn't last long so we would KEEP taking them to mechanics so THEY TOO would KEEP making money off them. And customers would want to trade them in and KEEP coming back for new ones because of the price! Repeating the cycle.

Now the economy is SO MESSED UP they can't depend on anybody anymore but the government. AND NOW THEY WANT A BAILOUT??!! AFTER SELLING CRAP TO US AND RACING THOSE CARBUERATED "CANS" AROUND IN CIRCLES?!:3d_frown:
...No disrespect to the NASCAR fans on the forum.

I GUESS SOME PEOPLE NEED THEIR CARS, BUT THEY DESERVE TO GO UNDER. UNTIL THEY MAKE BETTER QUALITY CARS IMHO.
So if you're gonna get a V8, get it from the FIRST JAPANESE CARMAKER TO PRODUCE A V8 PRODUCTION CAR - WHO ALSO PRODUCED OUR BELOVED SUPRA - which may mate better with your car. Forget the Big Three's V8 aftermarket support! We got enough! Plus they sound better IMHO!

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
BTW...Sorry about the long post! That's a testy subject for me and I JUST HAD TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT! ESPECIALLY WHEN I SAW THAT QUOTE. LORD KNOWS HOW I FEEL ABOUT THEM!!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LMAO! Aside from the work of putting it in, the LSx series > in every way to the UZ series from Toyota ;)

Cam swap on an LS1 with exhaust yields about 400rwhp through an automatic. Seriously, can you even begin to do that with a UZ motor?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
When you show me multiple LSx engines reliably go well over 300,000 miles without ever being cracked open, then I'll agree with you in that they are better then a UZ in every way.. So what, they make a lot more power, they are also a lot larger in displacement..

Compairing an LSx to a UZ in reality is like compairing apples to oranges...

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
While we are talking about which engine is better, beside reliability, lets look at power production.....

The highest power LS1 production engine to come out of GM is 382hp and with it being a 5.7L that equates to 67.0hp per liter..

Now for the LS6 in the early Z06's, they were 405hp and were a 6.0L, this equates to 67.5hp per liter (this is also basically the same for the LS2

Now the LS3 from the 08 vette which is rated at 430hp and is a 6.2L, this equates to 69.35hp per liter

Now the production LS7 which had a highest output of 505hp and its a 7.0L, this equates to 72.1hp per liter. This is also a hand built and super fine tuned specialty engine (not a standard production engine)

And lastly we will look at the last of the 1uz's which was a standard production engine which had an output of 290hp and was 4.0L, this equates to 72.5hp per liter..

Hmmm in a fair power production compairason, it looks like the latest 1UZ is even better then the Specialty hand built and fine tuned LS7 (not by much, but still better) and quite a bit diffrent then any of the other standard production LS engines...

Ontop of that, like I've stated before, I have several family members that work for GM and one of them is an engineer for thier engine design department and worked on both the GEN III and GEN IV engines and he has straight up told me that neither generation was designed high milages reliability in mind..

That statment right there is one of the man reasons why I have such a big problem with GM...

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
I'll agree that more displacement is better but the price tag on that ls7 isn't worth 505 IJ. Even you should know that ten k budget will be better spent on a 1uz than a crate motor that you have to heavily modify to work. In other words just swap for swap you had better be looking at making more than 505 to work with the price tag and in my opinion just taking not only one of the best selling makers and throwing an engine that may be specialized but other than that has a garbage reputation for efficiency, technology in design and reliability and throwing that in there is like a bad drunk night you may want to forget. Let's face it, japan has made it further in design for the time being.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LS1 and a turbo = best of both worlds.....

If I were to go large displacement it's be 500+ cubes so price would be a moot point anyway.

I stand by my earlier post the amount of stuffing around to do a good V8 swap just isn't worth it for +1.0L, may as well wind some more boost into the 7M.

The 1Uz's aren't nearly as bulletproof as people would have you believe, what they are is dirt cheap so if you break one $700 later you're up and running again until it fails again. (not really my way of doing things)

This of course will change as demand goes up and supply dwindles.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
If I were to sell my car, it would either have a twin ct2657 1uz through a built auto or a 5 speed 2jz stock twin with a little nitrous. I am leaning more towards the twin ct powered 1uz (if I were to ever get the money I want for my current).

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
WOW I got a lot of feed back.Well this is what I kind of wanted for this thread cause it's not about me swaping a V8 in my car or looking to pick one.I'm staying 7M but I still think that it would be cool to throw a 1UZ in my car.I would like to get more pics,specs,and feed back on supras with a any V8 swap so if anybody is thinking about doing it they have some were to look.Plus I want to see what it takes and whats best in our cars.

I agree with you 100% SC Rydah.

SC Rydah;1242313 said:
I totally agree with you 100%!! I believe they made some GOOD, QUALITY cars some time ago...until 1973. Then it went all kaput after the oil embargo and smog regulations. Then, they went and built CRAP for the next 35 years and expect us to pay a cheap or decent price for them, but REPEATEDLY pay out the wazoo to keep them on the road - unless you're a mechanic - until we decide to sell or trade them in - AT A FAR MORE DEPRECIATED VALUE THAN NEW - for NEWER ones!
And repeat the cycle!!

And this is no disrespect to the mechanics on the forum...
But they STARTED making them more "compact" and STOPPED making them easier to work on - like they used to be - so we HAVE to take them to mechanics and dealers for even MINOR repairs and maintenance!!
Why?
Because they HAD to make more compact, efficient, economic cars to compete with Japan's BIG THREE: HONDA, TOYOTA, AND NISSAN!!
Why?
Because they were taking over their sales! Japanese QUALITY, ECONOMY and PRICE were becoming the best in the country.
Why?
Because they chose to do what the Big Three STOPPED doing. Choosing QUALITY over QUANTITY. If it wasn't for worldwide law enforcement agencies, domestic rental car companies, livery and cab companies, (and the poor folks who didn't know any better) they would have BEEN went under!

And I also believe GREED was the motivating factor for all their cars lacking reliability. I believe they sold their cars at a cheaper price than the competition so we couldn't resist buying them. They built cars they KNEW wouldn't last long so we would KEEP taking them to mechanics so THEY TOO would KEEP making money off them. And customers would want to trade them in and KEEP coming back for new ones because of the price! Repeating the cycle.

Now the economy is SO MESSED UP they can't depend on anybody anymore but the government. AND NOW THEY WANT A BAILOUT??!! AFTER SELLING CRAP TO US AND RACING THOSE CARBUERATED "CANS" AROUND IN CIRCLES?!:3d_frown:
...No disrespect to the NASCAR fans on the forum.

I GUESS SOME PEOPLE NEED THEIR CARS, BUT THEY DESERVE TO GO UNDER. UNTIL THEY MAKE BETTER QUALITY CARS IMHO.
So if you're gonna get a V8, get it from the FIRST JAPANESE CARMAKER TO PRODUCE A V8 PRODUCTION CAR - WHO ALSO PRODUCED OUR BELOVED SUPRA - which may mate better with your car. Forget the Big Three's V8 aftermarket support! We got enough! Plus they sound better IMHO!

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
this ended up being a great thread, though I was a little on edge with the talk of swaps from different manufacturers.. especially outside the realm of the JM. I agree with a semi purist outlook, mainly the way some racing series do and that is to only allow swaps of same make. Hence the idea of having an lsx in a mk3 makes me lightheaded haha.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
MK3.0dudeman;1243234 said:
WOW I got a lot of feed back.Well this is what I kind of wanted for this thread cause it's not about me swaping a V8 in my car or looking to pick one.I'm staying 7M but I still think that it would be cool to throw a 1UZ in my car.I would like to get more pics,specs,and feed back on supras with a any V8 swap so if anybody is thinking about doing it they have some were to look.Plus I want to see what it takes and whats best in our cars.

I agree with you 100% SC Rydah.

Thank you and I agree with you and Dlyan. I WAS a fan of the LSx motors myself because of the power output - especially in a RX7 - when I read about it. Because i'm into just about EVERYTHING. But If I had to choose a V8, I'd choose a 1UZ, or the VH45...in a Nissan, of course! Despite the work involved, they're too cheap, powerful, reliable and light (more than the 6cyls we'd swap em for!!)to pass up. But I wana keep my 7MGE (that's right N/A baby) until I'm ready to upgrade.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I must say that for years I never liked swaping motor's from other companys in a car like the LSx in everything but as time go's by I have become a lot more open minded about the idea of swaping anything into anything.I'm sticking with my 7MGTE but 1UZ's are bad ass.

yo SC your from jersey?what part?

p.s. guys keep the pictures,info,and debate coming

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
since were on the subject, I always wondered which had a better build from the factory or perhaps potential.. the 1UZ or the VH45DE. obviously this is a toyota forum, more specifically a supra one, yet I'd still like to know the answer.

normally I like toyota engines more. however from my days of tuning nissans, their v8's seemed amazing. [they made a bunch or racing variants (VK as well) for different series. I know toyota had a run at it as well, though I'm unsure to what level.]