unbolting stuck driver's seat

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
So long story short, my driver's seat is stuck in the far back position. It won't budge to move forward, but the top portion of the seat will move. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I can't get to it. I've been going at the rear bolts with a crescent wrench, but that hasn't really yielded any favorable results. Is there an easier way to get to the rear bolts when they're sitting under the seat?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i had the same problem taking the driver seat out of my crashed car because it had no power. a crescent wrench isn't going to do anything. there on there tight. i used a regular 14mm wrench until i found my racheting 14mm that i lost under the seat. lol.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
did you cut up the wires?
if not I know there is a breaker or something near the kick panel that needs to be reset to make the seat work again.

If the wires were cut you just gotta keep trying with a wrench

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i had that same prob with my car.... sometimes when i slide the seat forward, it would keep on going and the seat belt would choke me.... lol
you need to push in that plastic panel where the seat adjuster is. seems that the switch wasnt making contact with the wiring (at least with mine).

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
The connector was hacked on the cleaner, reskinned seats I picked up, so I re-soldered another set of connectors from another seat before putting these seats in. I got overjoyed that I had a working seat again after replacing the fuse and connectors, moved the seat all the way forward, then all the way backwards...then it died....

So a ratcheting wrench would be my best bet?

CaptMKIII

Jun 21, 2008
Kansas.
I've had to do this before. The motor had died and it was stuck in the way back position. The bolts are on there pretty damn tight and it was a hugh b.tch to get them off. A ratchet wrench didn't do the trick for me, it took a little more than that. Here is what I used...

p1098348_1.jpg

Put the wrench on the bolt, then used the block of wood as a wedge to use the crow bar. Worked like a charm.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
a racheting wrench makes it easier, but a regular closed end 14mm will to it. if you can't do it with just the 14mm then put a 17mm on end of the 14mm. if that doesn't work your weak. lol. if there rusted thats a different story. you have to spray them with pb or whatever from under the car.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
my seat is stuck in the far back position too.. and im doing a AT-MT swap and i am on the short side, it wasnt a problem as an AT but i see it being a big problem as MT when i get my build done. all my seat does is click when it tries to go up i have no idea whats wrong, someday i'll take the seat out or atleast try to.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I used a crescent wrench, and hit the end of the wrench with a hammer

It's like a non-pneumatic impact hammer, works like a charm :)

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
CaptMKIII;1098348 said:
I've had to do this before. The motor had died and it was stuck in the way back position. The bolts are on there pretty damn tight and it was a hugh b.tch to get them off. A ratchet wrench didn't do the trick for me, it took a little more than that. Here is what I used...

p1098821_1.jpg

Put the wrench on the bolt, then used the block of wood as a wedge to use the crow bar. Worked like a charm.

Jaguar_5;1098590 said:
I used a crescent wrench, and hit the end of the wrench with a hammer

It's like a non-pneumatic impact hammer, works like a charm :)

both methods don't strip/break the bolts?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
If you're careful, use a 6 sided crescent, and make sure it's perfectly parallel to the bolt face your chances should be pretty good

If it's lined up right, hold it so that theres a bit of preload on the bolt, and give the furthest end (leverage) a good whack with the hammer, should be loosened in 1 or 2 blows