twin charged ION vs MKIII

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I got beat.....We went from a 60 roll and I got the jump right away, a half a car length. I had him all the way through 3rd and when i shifted to 4th he started catching up. By 110 mph he was ahead by a half a car and then we had to get on our brakes pretty hard. No idea on the size of the turbo or the boost level he was running on the charger....but i do know that I was quite impressed with the top end on that thing. I could tell that he was quite pleased with himself after the pull. He probably did not believe the fact that I am on a stock CT at 13 psi when i told him. See pics of the car here: http://www.redlineforums.com/forums...42902-nastyfastnx-twincharged-beast-pics.html I typed in Ion redline and this thread came up of his car on google. His tag read nastfastnx or something to that effect so it is definitely the same car. BTW make sure you read his post of how he wants to run Cobras and Lamborghinis in that thing....LMAO.

I will come back to see him after I bolt on my Master Power T-64.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
He sucks at driving if you got the jump (unless you were brake boosting?)

Not surprising though as stock cobalt/Ions trap around 100.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
I will come back to see him after I bolt on my Master Power T-64.

i likw the way you kinda overbuild for that turbo.thats what i would do.
i can tell by reading your parts list.:evil2:

i have a bone to pick with a colbalt ss. if i can ever find him

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I definitely was not brake boosting as I am 5spd.....even if I had an automatic though, I would not know how to do it. lol As far as the T-64....I expect over 500rwhp on that thing on race fuel, with 16 degrees timing @ 25 psi. Not sure if that is feasible or not but I hope it is. So I am not sure that I overbuilt for that turbo as I plan on spinning that thing full tilt.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
dj7mge;1463601 said:
so what if his car is faster yours is better. no matter what he does it'll still be a saturn

lol...while that may be true, it goes both ways. Just like the Porsche Boxster that I destroyed a while back.....So what if I am faster, he has the Porsche. :biglaugh:

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
you can BB with a 5spd :)

Sounds like a fun little roll race though for sure. Have you driven a turbo auto Saturn sky yet? That's a Saturn worthy of my money for sure.

dj7mge

Mar 12, 2009
milwaukee wi
i haven't they look like they would be fun though. i work at a toyota/mitsu/subaru dealership drove a bunch of stuff but nothing has been more fun then the evo X or any subie wrx/sti... really considering getting a wrx wagon they are so nice

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Brake boost next time, that could have let you win. You'll be amazed at the difference in acceleration from a roll if you're brake boosting. ;) Then you could have said:

"Killed a twincharged Ion"

I'm not saying he wouldn't eventually catch up, as a stock CT on 13psi is nothing on these cars, but you'd have had to hit your brakes first, thus, giving you the "win."

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
dj7mge;1464372 said:
i haven't they look like they would be fun though. i work at a toyota/mitsu/subaru dealership drove a bunch of stuff but nothing has been more fun then the evo X or any subie wrx/sti... really considering getting a wrx wagon they are so nice

I'd like to check on the new evo's sometime i've heard good things about them.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Sounds like you had a great time. My favorite (of very few) interstate experience was with a Redline with "intake/exhaust and my 90 turbo with I/E and MBC. I beat him, but it was a very even run from start to finish. I got about a car on him early, but he was reeling that in about halfway by the time we hit the speed limit.........the second time.

Could someone describe brake boosting with a 5-speed for some of us interstate newbs?

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
black91turbo;1463576 said:
I definitely was not brake boosting as I am 5spd.....even if I had an automatic though, I would not know how to do it. lol As far as the T-64....I expect over 500rwhp on that thing on race fuel, with 16 degrees timing @ 25 psi. Not sure if that is feasible or not but I hope it is. So I am not sure that I overbuilt for that turbo as I plan on spinning that thing full tilt.

Val, simply modulate the brake as you press the gas building boost and hold it at the desired RPM then mash the gas and release the brake as you hear the 3rd honk :)

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
7Mboost;1466319 said:
Val, simply modulate the brake as you press the gas building boost and hold it at the desired RPM then mash the gas and release the brake as you hear the 3rd honk :)

Sounds easy enough! Thanks Jeff! I still think he would have reeled me in..... But as shaeff mentioned I probably would have hit the brakes first.